Single or Double oven - pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 24, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

What kind of oven do you have? And if you could change anything, what would it be?

We've decided to do some much-needed remodeling and repairs around our house. I've been spending countless hours trying the past few weeks trying to get up to speed on everything, which is one of the reasons I've not been around here a lot lately. It's totally overwhelming, you know?

Today's project is to focus on which gas range to purchase. I'm split on whether to get a single or double oven (we'll be getting an Advantium oven/microwave, so it is another cooking source). Single oven - I can get a warming drawer. Double oven - more baking spaces. I'd love to hear your opinions on them - why you love them or don't love them. Thanks!

2. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I would kill for a double oven.

Last night I made meatloaf & crash hot potatoes. They need to be baked at significantly different temperatures. I had to do the meatloaf first at the lower temperature and then crank the oven up to the higher temperature with the meatloaf sitting on top of the stove. It was barely lukewarm (even on top of the oven & covered in foil) when we ate but if I had cooked it at the same time, it would have burned.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

Ooh - those sound good!

Yeah, that would be the biggest bonus of the double oven!

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We've never had a double over, but always wanted one. We don't really need two of them now. But I'd definitely go for double.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we have a double oven, but it's placement means the top one is too high for me to use. I'm sure our kitchen was designed by a tall person. One day we'll have the money to change it.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

We upgraded our appliances not long ago and I went with a range with double oven and it’s the best decision. We use it all the time but I have 5 kids that all like different things so it comes in very handy for me.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

When my range died I wanted a double oven AND a grill on the top. My luck was that that year you had to choose!!!! You couldn't get both features in one range. The next year this was all the RAGE..... I went with the grill on the top and even though I love it, sometimes I wish I had gotten the double oven.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have a double oven and love it. I find the one we have comes in handy, not just when I'm cooking multiple things, but also because it has one big oven and one small oven, I can pick which one I need for the job instead of always heating up the big oven. Sometimes the small oven is all I need... heats up faster and is more efficient when cooking for one or two.

Here's the one we have.... dual oven range.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love the idea of a dual oven range with one bigger and one smaller one. I assume the small one takes less time to preheat so that would be a plus for sure but having the choice of two temps going at the same time....that would be awesome. For days when I do bulk cooking this would be great, saving lots of time waiting. Or....baking lots of cookies...you could get 4 cookie sheets baking at the same time instead of just two. Oh man....now I want one!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have always only had a single oven, intrigued to read and see what others have and how they use it.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

We have a range with smaller double ovens. I rarely use both but it does come in handy during Thanksgiving and other holidays we have many guests. I also like that the doors are shorter and it is easier to take things in and out. I recently visited my DD and it was hard for me to reach into the top oven and my DD is 2" shorter than I am. If I were to do double wall ovens, I would get the kind with the double side opening doors!

12. QuiltyMom

I know I'd use the grill, but I'd make sure to get a cast iron one. Some of them that I looked at had a very thin non-stick coating on them which was already being scraped off the display oven.

Holy cow! That's some oven! We have a tiny townhouse kitchen so that would take up the whole thing. But I'm sure you looooove it!

13. QuiltyMom

This is what my friends have said is their favorite feature. Yet with the Advantium oven it automatically vents all heat to the outside, which is wonderful for summer cooking. It's large enough for a round casserole or to cook a chicken, which is making me wonder if the double oven is the way to go or not.

This is the one I'm thinking of:
    GE Profile™ Series 30" Slide-In Front Control Gas Double Oven Convection Range

This is the Advantium oven that I love so much. Now they even have one where you can put in oblong dishes.

As I said, there are too many choices out there! LOL!

14. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have been wanting a double oven range (no gas for me). There is nothing wrong with my range now so I guess I need to wait for a few years.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I've never had a double oven, but I could totally see where it would be awesome! I'm going to have to upgrade before too much longer, my range is like 25 years old, but I don't do nearly the cooking I used to so we'll see.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. LisaDV

LisaDV Member

I have a normal oven at the farm. I can fit our home raised turkey in their with a side or 2. Move to the new house, one regular oven. Nope, it’s smaller than regular. I can fit 1 turkey but barely and I’ll have to tie down the legs. No sides.

MIL has a double oven. I fit 1 turkey in the bottom but it was tight. But I was able to cook a side in the top.

I can see the advantage of a double for different temp cooking. Or if you have a single small pan of something as the smaller oven would be more energy efficient.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. QuiltyMom

I don't do as much cooking, either. We're down to three people now and we're not huge eaters. I've been happy with the way our current oven/range works except that it's breaking and can't be repaired. But we want to make a kitchen that will sell well once my DH retires. I'm dying to escape the D.C. area!

18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

When we built our house 20+ years ago, the stovetop was separate from the built-in oven. They offered the microwave/oven combo but I opted for a double oven instead. The microwave (poor thing still works but has no display) sits on the counter. The oven choices were small so I am very very glad we have 2 of them. I can only get a standard cookie sheet in there sideways. I love that we can cook twice as many things - great when dd bakes lots of cupcakes! I just wish they were bigger overall.

They look something like this but in white because that was all the rage back in 1999.
    https://www.geappliances.com/ge/wall-oven/double-wall-oven.htm

19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Yes, to this. Love my cast iron grill on the center of my range all the time but when it falls in my fingers when I wash it and put it back. LOL!!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

How much space do you have to play around? Because where I live, the issue isn't "how many ovens?" but rather "how much counter/cabinet space?"