Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 1 Discussion *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Apr 15, 2019.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Here is a thread to discuss episode 1. There will be spoilers.
    [​IMG]
    Then do not read any further! Watch it first and comeback later!

Tronesia and Ferdy like this.
  2. weaselwatchr

3. weaselwatchr

4. weaselwatchr

Ok If you are still scrolling, and have not watched yet, I claim no responsibility for spoiling anything at all!
    [​IMG]

5. weaselwatchr

Thoughts about the first episode.
    So much was going on! I loved all the witty funny lines, especially Sansa saying Geoffrey's wedding had it's moments.
    Way to go Theon!!! I love that he was able to redeem himself!
    I am not sure what Jon is going to do with Sam's info about him being the rightful heir to the iron throne.
    I don't think Bron is going to kill the Lanister brothers.
    If Cersi is actually pregnant, which I am still not convinced she is, I think she may make Euron think it's his baby.
    There's more but I am off to work now!

Christina W and Ferdy like this.
  6. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

My absolute favorite was the look on Jamies face when he saw Bran!!!!!

7. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

there's so much to say, but I'm afraid my English will not help me...anyway, I loved the epidode, for me it was a really good start!
    - I actually had tears in my eyes when Arya and Jon reunite. I was very anxious for this moment!
    - I loved all the "funny" lines during the whole episode...Tyrion, Sansa, well...they were on a roll!
    - I love all the moments when they showed Winterfell and the characters we love...Gendry, Arya...
    - I didn't like the love and romance moment of Dany and Jon escaping to the cold ice mountains, totally waste of time, with so much happening on the script, but I understand it was a way to show that Rhaegal accepted Jon and let him ride (this dragon was named after Jon's father, so it's a big deal, I think)...and by the way, where's Ghost, for God's sake!!
    - I screamed when I saw the Umber boy on the wall. I don't think I wanna see the night King!
    well, I'm not ready for this season finale!! I couldn't sleep after the show!

Karen, weaselwatchr and Christina W like this.
  8. Jana_2worldsart

Jana_2worldsart Well-Known Member

I agree it was like I can't believe he still alive and Bran was like : yeah sucker

9. Jana_2worldsart

Jana_2worldsart Well-Known Member

I'm torn I think was a set up episode but I was like: come on people we just have 5 left and that's it?!
    It seemed really slow for a series that just have 5 episodes to end a story of 10 years.

Tronesia, Karen and SeattleSheri like this.
  10. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I can’t believe Cersei let Euron...well...you know. He looks like he hasn’t had a shower in months! And he is clearly insane! No way she’s pregnant either... I don’t believe it for a second.

I’d love to know exactly what sort of weapon Arya asked Gendry to forge and why she wants it...

That scene with the wight Umber boy at Last Hearth is gonna give me nightmares! I wonder what the deal is with the white walkers gory “art projects.” What do they mean?

cinna, weaselwatchr and Ferdy like this.
  11. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

For whatever reason, I always find the first episode of the season underwhelming (previous seasons too). It's probably the ridiculously long build up. I get that the first episode is a plot-builder ... but there wasn't much new information. I was hoping for a longer episode since I've heard many will be 2 hours (yes, I have high expectations, lol). My hubby is a HS teacher and his seniors were all underwhelmed too. Don't get me wrong, I still love GoT ... and I know the rest of the seasons is going to rock.

weaselwatchr, janedee and Karen like this.
  12. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I thought it was a great first episode, so many important reunions and manoeuvring everyone to get them to where they need to be. I did think that Theon's rescue of Yara was a bit quick and easy - I was expecting that to be his moment of redemption but I guess that's going to come later now that he is on his way back to Winterfell. I loved the blue eyes joke and the reference to Ed Sheeran's character too. Still waiting patiently to see Ghost again! Also still a little bit in love with Jon Snow :giggle

13. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I totally missed the reference to Ed Sheeran’s Character until I read it in the recaps later!

I admit I am getting a wee bit tired of the Northern-Council-grumbling-at-Jon scenes. I can’t imagine how grumbly they’re going to be when they find out he’s now a Targaryan.

weaselwatchr, Ferdy and Karen like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think Jon is going to hide the revelation that he's a Targaryan for awhile. I foresee some awkward interactions between Jon and Dani where he doesn't want to be kissy kissy with her anymore and she'll be hurt and confused and think he's plotting against her or something. I can't wait to see Dani's reaction when she finds out that first of all he's her nephew and 2nd that he basically out ranks her. I'm secretly hoping that she's happy and relieved to not be the last Targaryan and have someone to share the burden of ruling with, but also I don't know how she will like sharing power (if they stick together).

Also I agree with @weaselwatchr I think Cersei is going to pretend her baby is Euron's in some kind of power move... until we find out she's not actually pregnant, but has hit menopause instead. :giggle

I love the blue eyes joke too! I was so worried that Tormond was going to have died when the wall collapsed and i was going to be super mad, because he is one of my very favorite characters.

weaselwatchr, Ferdy and Christina W like this.
  15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm not very much worried with Cersei's "pregnancy"...I'm hoping that Arya will kill her anytime soon! LOL!!

16. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Tormund is my absolute favourite, the way he looks at Brienne with puppy dog adoring eyes cracks me up.

I don't think Cersei is pregnant either, I don't think she'll survive the series... I was surprised I almost liked Euron this time, which is a step up from despising him last series :giggle

The Umber Boy or creepy burning spider dead boy as he is now known in our house was terrifying - our cat was peacefully watching GOT with our daughter until that scene then he was out of there!

And pretty sure I would never invite Bran to a happy gathering - he knows how to bring a mood down...

17. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I loved the episode, for me it's always in the dialogue and body language. I am anxious to know what Jon is going to do knowing he is the heir to the iron throne. I was actually upset about that piece of info, but it makes sense as to why the dragons took to him. Not sure he will hide his identity because he always wants to tell everyone the truth. It will be interesting to see everyone's reactions though, moreso Sansa's than Dani's. Never liked Sansa..she has always gotten on my nerves..lol. Sansa seems like she just really wants to be in control.

Bran...I think he will keep all of them honest.

I am also ready to see this fight against the white walkers. Wonder who will survive and who won't.

Before the end of the season though, I want them all to go attack Cersei and anyone supporting her.

18. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I was watching a video analyzing the episode from a guy on Facebook whose page is called In Deep Geek. The horrifying design (if you want to call it that) of the Umber boy and the body parts he said is the sigil of the White Walkers. That same arrangement has been seen before in a previous season with a bunch of dead bodies and is also the arrangement of the standing stones around the tree where the White Walkers first came into being. It was a very interesting video to watch.

Karen, Christina W and weaselwatchr like this.
  19. weaselwatchr

I keep going back in my mind to Arya's kill list. The Hound was on there as well as Cersi. I don't know if she will cross some more names off of it or not this season.

@bonnenuit I also read something about the symbolism in regards to the white walkers. It was in wikiofthrones. The article also had some nice tie ins of what happened in episode one season 8 versus other episodes of other seasons in the series. It was called 19 details you might have missed.

Karen, bonnenuit and Christina W like this.
  20. weaselwatchr

I am both excited and apprehensive about it. The battle seen in Battle of the Bastards was epic, and I don't know how they can out do that one, but there will be dragons so that is a definite start.

Karen, Christina W and Tronesia like this.