Silhouette Cameo Help

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Kat, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I got a silhouette cameo way too long ago and haven't learned to use it. I created a page of elements I want to print and cut at the proper size in Photoshop. What's the best way to import that into my silhouette studio software so it can be printed and cut?

I did try pulling elements into silhouette studio directly but I suck at sizing in there. It's the designer edition of the software if that matters.

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Have you tried exporting to different file formats that the Silhouette likes? I used to made cut files for it but don't remember what formats I used.
    maybe @Scrapping with Liz might be able to help?

Kat likes this.
  3. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I print and cut with the silhouette portrait but I think the only difference would be the size.
    I create my page in PS and then export as a png file. Then I pull the png file onto my canvas in silhouette software and add the registration marks and send to my printer from the silhouette software.

alleycat and Kat like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do what Amanda said above. The only thing that i would add is that I also create a black version of my .png to make the tracing part easier. So I do the following steps:

1. Create a 8.5 x 11 document in Photoshop (you would make a 12 x12)
    2. create a shape that blocks off the "Keep out" areas on your Cameo (see this thread here for visuals from Jenn). There is a sizeable border around the edges that the machine can't cut and also you need to stay away from the three corners where the registration marks are printed. If you go into you software and turn on the cameo registration marks, you'll see hashed areas that you shouldn't put elements. I created a .psd with those areas painted in, so I know where to keep my elements away from.
    3. drag and drop all the elements you want to print.
    4. add a blank layer above all other layers. Hit hot-key "D" to make your foreground color black. CTRL-click the icon for each layer that contains and element (puts marching ants around each element) then while you have your new blank layer selected, do ALT-Backspace to fill black into that top most layer. You can do a bunch of layers at once by doing CTRL-click on the first layer, then hold SHIFT-CTRL-click on each layer's icon.
    5. Turn off the background layer so it's just the black outline of all your element and the background is the grid to show it'll be transparent.
    6. Save a .png of the black "tracing layer"
    7. turn off the black layer and save a .png for your elements layer.
    8. Open your Silhouette software.
    9. Turn on the registration marks.
    10 Drag in the black layer. Make sure it's completely inside the registration marks and inside the red border (anything outside that area is beyond the cutters reach).
    11. Do the tracing step. The icon is a butterfly or something, and click the button to select trace area (I don't have the software in front of me, so I can't remember the exact wording) Window around your whole black layer and then click Trace. This puts a red line around each black shape and that's where the cut with happen.
    12. Drag in the elements (colored) version and hover over the black traced layer until it pops right in place.
    13. Print your sheet. I have found that I have to use Fit-to-Page with my printer in order to get it sized correctly. You may have to play around with this a bit.
    14. Stick your printed sheet on your cutting mat. Feed into your cameo with the mat loading button (top one on my Portrait, the one with the grid)
    15. Click on the SEND tab. Select the paper type and adjust your blade to the depth called for according to your paper type.
    16. Click the bottom SEND button and watch the cutting magic happen.

I know this looks like a LOT of steps, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quickly. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you get stuck. I know I was really frustrated when I first tried to print and cut and didn't know what I was doing and i couldn't find anything online to help. There are quite of lot of YouTube videos now that can help too!

5. Kat

Oh yeay! I knew you girls would have some ideas on helping get me going. @Karen ... a black PNG is an amazing idea! It would have been my next question on how to trace better.

I may be back once I get started b/c I am sure I have questions. I am forcing myself to do my editing job first THEN test this out. If I can stand to wait that long.

Karen likes this.
  6. alleycat

alleycat CT - Krista Sahlin

I do a lot of print and cuts. I create everything in silhouette though. All I do is highlight and trace the image.

7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I do have .svg files with my cut outs.

8. Kat

Okay I am stuck on #4... lol

Update! I got to Step 13 and wow! That was cool... we are almost to the cutting part!!

We did it! Thanks so much ya'll!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  9. Karen

Ok... what are you stuck On for step 13?

10. Kat

We got it! I got stuck on step 4 but it was just brain farts, so once I did it a bit at a time, it worked great!

My mat is too sticky but it cut perfectly. I am about to send a second page to the printer and then cut it for my next one.

I can't thank you guys enough. Especially you @Karen I printed your step by step to keep in case I forget what to do. We are thinking of trying a vinyl cut decal tomorrow!

Karen likes this.
  11. Karen

Those mats are really stick at first, especially with thin paper. They actually make low stick type mats too. Or you can stick them to your shirt a few times to put some small lint on it. :)