Young Adult fiction

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by littlekiwi, Feb 14, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I might be 31 but I still love YA fiction, particularly the more chick lit stuff. I’m travelling for 10-12 hours (x2 trips) end of next week/the following week. While I’m hoping since it’s an overnight bus ride I’ll get some sleep I also want to be prepared with some reading material from the library. Any suggestions?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol I'm more than a few years older & still like YA too! I'm more a dystopian person though so not sure if I'm much help (DS is reading the Maze Runner series at the moment)
    I haven't really finished reading anything this year, I haven't made it past chapter 3 of my current audio but according to GR the last 3 YA's I liked that weren't TLP book club picks were Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland & This is Not The End by Chandler Baker & They Both Die at The End by Adam Silvera (this had 2 males as the main characters but it was awesome & made me cry so maybe not for a bus trip!) ; in the year before that my faves were StarGirl by Jerry Spinelli & Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I too am a lot older than a young adult, but I still love reading that genre too. My most recent favorite is a series. I thought it was a trilogy, but recently the author came out with book 4 and there's a book 5 on the way too, but anyway, the first one is called Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Thanks @bellbird @Karen @michelepixels for your suggestions. I’ll see what I can find in the library as an ebook as I doubt I’d get any real books through the reserves by next Friday. I leave late Saturday night

michelepixels likes this.
  6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I read a lot of YA and I'm not so young anymore...LOL! I've read 2 recently that I liked, Dumplin' (there's a new movie at Netflix) and The impossible Fortress, by Jason Rekukak...

7. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I'm another lover of YA (and I'm 38). I haven't read anything new lately though sadly, but following along for suggestions! I hope you find an awesome book Jennifer!

8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I love YA! Have you read the Throne of Glass series or A Court of Thorns and Roses? Both by Sarah J. Maas. Warcross, Six of Crows. Scythe series by Neal Shusterman is SOOOO good.

Vrielinkie likes this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

DIVERGENT! I love love the series! Four books!
    [​IMG]
    I listened to them audio, but my son (age 13) read them all 3 times!
    LIke Hunger Games but so so much better characters!!

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell is supposed to be a good YA "chick lit"-type book. And I'm sure you've heard of John Green? He has so many great YA novels. Oh, and I really like the Paper Magician Series by Charlie N. Holmberg. The first one is quite different than anything I've read before and the Kindle edition currently on sale on Amazon.com for $1.99. She has a new book, called Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet, that's supposed to be good but I haven't read it yet.

11. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I’ll suggest the Disney themed Kingdom Keeper series and the I Am Number Four series,in addition to a couple that have already been mentioned. I read each of these series and then my son has read the I Am Number Four series and the new follow up series twice through and my daughter is working her way through the Kingdom Keeper books.

12. KELLIE R GUZMAN

KELLIE R GUZMAN Well-Known Member

I go through reading spells. I've just finished First & Then by Emma Mills. It was a quick read.

13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Super late to the thread, but YA is my favorite genre currently! I just finished Leah on the Off Beat, by Becky Albertalli... it's a sort of sequel of Simon vs. The Homosapian's Agenda.

Throne of Glass series mentioned above is my current fave. I've heard great things about "To all the boys i've loved before" trilogy, and Five Feet Apart, but i haven't read them yet.

I also just finished "The Disasters" by M. K. England, and really enjoyed that, too. Next up on my to read list is D.C. Icons series, as well as "The Belles" series by Dhonielle Clayton (book 1, The Belles, is a re-read for me, but the sequel, Everlasting Rose, was just released last month).