Glasses

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I've often thought about getting RX sunglasses, but my eyes change a bit with every visit, so I will stick with the clip on sunglasses for now unless a great deal like yours comes along -- I have bifocals (I can't wear progressives). I like the clip on sunglasses that have a clip on the center and can flip up if I need to. I thought about some newer ones, but I can't get them on and off as quickly as I can with the flip ups. But, please, protect your eyes! They're the only set you get.

2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have had pairs of prescription sunglasses forever - but I need them to drive (so short sighted!) $50 is absolutely worth it - you get used to having them so quickly!

3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

DO IT!

I drive my girl a lot, but even as a passenger I need my sunglasses and they need to have prescription 'cause I can't see anything without prescription. This past year I needed to move to bifocals and I did my sunglasses bifocal too because I do sit at the pool while my girl enjoys the water and I read.

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I like that re the magnet.. my husband wants the magnet... interesting.

Just got my new glasses last night.. going to take a few days for me to get used to the new ones... the new frames have this little thing on the sides re the design and I have to get use to it as I see it. LOL maybe it will end up dissappearing for me.. plus my blind spot is bothering me so maybe a few more days and that will dissappear too. Ugh :)

Ferdy likes this.
  5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I always wore my contact lenses with normal sunglasses. And then I retired & I've put my contacts in maybe 4 or 5 times since??? LOL. DH had prescription sunglasses for years & loved them. Then he tried his regular glasses with the magnet for the sunglasses to attach to. He seemed to enjoy that for years. But then he has tendencies to misplace things, and these were no exceptions. I don't know how many times I helped him locate them... For the last few years he's done the transitional lenses. Granted, we don't have very sunny vibrant days for much of the year, and he appears to like them quite a bit. He had transitional lenses YEARS ago, and the newer versions have had major improvements to them.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've just recently started wearing glasses again and think that I'm going to need to get some prescription sunglasses before summer this year. I'd jump at the chance to get them for $50! :)

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I wear glasses to see the tv when I need them, but have prescription lenses in my sunglasses - they are polarized so I can wear them when it's raining too. It's bright enough all year round and because they eliminate one wavelength of light I find them perfect.

8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, I'd splurge and get the prescription sunglasses! I've had some for years and I've never regretting the extra expense, which was waaaaay more than $50. You won't regret it at all.

9. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I have prescription sunglasses and have never regretted it.

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Just had my eye test - I do have a new prescription with some slight change/improvement which I’m not at all surprised about. Ended up not being able to do a 2nd pair as while the base price wasn’t that expensive, by the time all the extras were included it was going to be about $200 more which I couldn’t afford. Ended up costing me $260 for eye exam plus glasses

Here are the glasses I chose - they are a metallic burgundy/dark raspberry colour (though a wee brighter than the photo shows) which is a complete change from the brown ones I’ve been rocking the last few years.

A9C7F63C-BBEC-41E6-A42A-0BC681222745.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

great looking glasses Jennifer.. I got mine, but my right eye is not right so I need to go back on the 9th for a recheck o the exam as it is not right.

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

those are pretty Jennifer!

13. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I have transitions now and they do take a while to adjust when coming inside. They are handy, but I have found a few days lately when the sun was just too bright and I had to use regular sunglasses instead (I have weak prescription.) nice looking glasses

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

15. Susan - s3js

Susan - s3js Well-Known Member

I have a $20 pair of sunglasses from WalMart that fit right over your regular glasses. I tried on several styles to find one that totally blocks sun at the top as well as all around the other edges. My eyes are super sensitive to light - I even use then driving in the rain or when it's hazy - so I selected their darkest lenses. They have lenses in the sides, too, to make use of your peripheral vision. I don't need glasses to drive, but they work great without glasses and when the weather's nice I just slide them on over my readers and enjoy a good book on the front porch. https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/polarized-over-glasses and https://www.walmart.com/browse/fit-over-sunglasses/c2hlbGZfaWQ6Njk3Mjgie hover over the little images beneath each sample to see other colors.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

My glasses were ready much earlier than anticipated (last Thursday- 3 1/2 days after I ordered them) but as I wasn’t feeling 100% I waited til I was already out for something else today to pick them up. Haven’t fully changed over yet as I wanted to get home ok being able to see. I will change over in the morning but first impressions are that the slight change in prescription has meant things are a tiny bit clearer than they were especially smaller type and light type on dark backgrounds and my eyes aren’t as fatigued - I was warned by the optometrist that the change wouldn’t be huge (we are talking a couple of letters more on the eye chart kind of change).

Still think most of the fatigue issue is sleep related and that test happens in a month but it’s good to a) eliminate my eyes being the main cause and b) get my eyes checked after way way way too long - I was 6-18 months overdue for the test

Tree City likes this.
  17. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I'd also say it would be absolutely worth it!! I don't have any, but it is on my must buy before summer list. I struggle a lot in bright sunlight too.

18. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

Finances are a big thing for us and glasses. We don't have work benifits so only kids under 18 get eye exams covered. Just bought Jessalyn a pair of glasses and they cost us $350 (Canadian) and she's only 8 yrs I expect I'll need to get her new ones soon as she is so rough with them. I have to pay $250 for the exam and glasses run anywhere from $175 (super cheap ones) up to around $500 pair. When I need to get new glasses I will find a pair of clip on sunglasses that fit and buy 2 pairs ($10-$15 each). Better on the budget and I have a back up pair of clip ons just in case.

19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I just saw that the store I bought mine is selling in a few countries around the world...they sell in stores in the US, if you ever want to check it, it's called Chilli Beans. My fiancè liked my clip-on so much, he just bought one for him as well!

cfile likes this.