Glasses

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m finally going for an eye test on the 31st. At the moment I’ve selected a 1 pair of glasses deal but I’m considering upgrading the deal for an extra $50 to gets second pair which I’d turn into prescription sunglasses if I was to do it. I don’t drive but I struggle outside when it’s really bright to see anything. If you have glasses and particularly if you have prescription sunglasses, have they been worth it for you? I don’t want to scrimp and save to do it then regret my decision down the track.

2. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I have transitional lens and they work well for me. Saves juggling two pair of glasses although it does take them a moment to clear from the darker color when I come indoors after being in the sun.

mcurtt and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. littlekiwi

I’m pretty sure I’ve done that in the past and didn’t love it.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hmm. I'm not sure how to answer this question because I don't use sunglasses very often but my DD and my parents all love their Rx sunglasses.

Having said that...if you hate being outside in the sun, then it makes sense to get a pair of Rx sunglasses. Why strain your eyes? So I say Go for it! :) Or ask if there is an even better deal? You never know if you don't ask.

Lastly ... Does zennioptical.com ship to you? They're inexpensive and great!

5. littlekiwi

@Tree City Unfortunately my prescription is outside of what all the online places do so I have to stick to bricks and mortar stores.

this is already an awesome deal I’m getting - single pair of $500+ glasses for about $200. An extra pair done at the same time might only add an extra $50-100.

cfile, Tree City and BevG like this.
  6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have had glasses, and specifically prescription sunglasses, forever and ever, and they are worth EVERY.PENNY. Good sunglasses are a must. Not protecting your eyes from sunlight will increase your chances for cataracts. $50 for prescription sunglasses is a STEAL. Take it before they change their mind!

7. littlekiwi

Thank you @mrs2a50 -I’ve worn glasses for 30 years so they aren’t new to me at all. Over the years I’ve had clip on sunglasses which were ok but not great and with my last two pairs of glasses being the wrong shape I haven’t been able to get them. It’s an extra $50 to start with but there may be some extra costs depending on any upgrades that I need (ie thinner lenses, I may not get it done on a pair of sunglasses but will on my everyday ones since I wear them all the time)

mrs2a50 likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@littlekiwi when you put it like that, it seems like an awesome deal and @mrs2a50 makes a very good point: Protect your eyes!

AJK and littlekiwi like this.
  9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I went the clip on sunglass route for a few years. I finally broke down and bought Rx sunglasses four years ago and I love them! I don't know how I managed without them before!

littlekiwi likes this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Jennifer, my eyes are not great in the bright sun but I prefer to keep to just the one prescription glasses and I have sunglasses that go over these as I do not like the clip on as they tend to after sometime scratch your lenses even if you are extra careful with them.

littlekiwi likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've had prescription sunglasses for almost 6 years. Luckily my actual prescription hasn't changed much during that time so they are still good enough for driving which is when I need them the most. I got a really cheap frame and I keep them in the car.

I have the start of cataracts and chronic dry eye which makes my eyes very sensitive to sunlight which is why I got them. Clip on sunglasses just weren't enough and a pain to use.

I am having my eye exam in May and I think my prescription has changed as I am having some issues. If it is too much of a change and I need new glasses, I will get the prescription sunglasses as well.

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have prescription sunglasses in addition to my regular pair of glasses and I think they are absolutely a necessity, especially in Florida. If you are outside any length of time at all, even if it's just travel on a bus or in a car, the sunglasses can make such a huge difference. I would vote for you to get them if it's possible.

littlekiwi likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

Thanks everyone, will definitely look into it as an option since this will be the cheapest time for me to do it.

bestcee likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I had perscription in the past but have the clip ons as I need the progressives, I did have the transitional as well for a very long time, but the older I get I find I need more light inside and they don't completely get to "normal" inside based on a lot of florescents and other lighting. I checked transitional last week and the price was $300 more than what I am paying for my glasses... I decided I will stick with my clip ons.

If $50 is all it costs for a perscription sunglass for you Jennifer @littlekiwi I would go for it :)

littlekiwi and HavaDrPepper like this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just got a pair of prescription glasses and considered getting Rx sunglasses too- I passed the Driver's test for eyesight but just barely. I honestly guessed a lot and I guess my guessing was good! :giggle I really only use them for driving - and especially night driving. I opted not to get a pair of Rx sunglasses because I feel I don't need them (the regular prescription glasses) all that much. As my sight declines and I get more dependent on my glasses I know I will want a pair of Rx sunglasses too - I'm just not there yet.
    I concur with the others - if you need them and can get them for $50 it's a steal for sure!

littlekiwi likes this.
  16. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I tried the transitional lenses a while ago, but I didn't like the effect, the thing was always gray...
    I just bought a clip-on with my new pair of glasses, but this one I choose is very discrete, there's a small magnet on the upper part of both sides od the frame, so I find it very cool. I need sunglasses cause I really feel that luminosity hurts my eyes...you should try the prescription or maybe a new kind of clip on!

cfile likes this.
  17. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I have used the deal to get sunglasses and have had prescription sunglasses for years. If I didn't I would never wear sunglasses because putting ordinary sunglasses on after wearing glasses makes me feel like I can't focus and am not quite in control LOL, and we need to be wearing them in that NZ sun. So I would say definitely do it .... but my eyes are pretty bad though ;-)

bestcee likes this.
  18. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I love having prescription sunglasses. I use them when I drive and when I'm on vacation!

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm going to go back and get prescription sunglasses! Mine have a tint in them, but it's not hacking it for me. I bought those "clip on" sunglasses, but I just don't like them. By the time I get them on, they're all fingerprinted up. UGH. My advice - if you need glasses to drive get sunglasses, if you can afford them!

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have both. I normally wear my contacts. But I always wear sunglasses. So, when I'm wearing my glasses - I need my RX sunglasses! Dh has them too. He wears glasses more than me, but same story. We both love having the RX sunglasses.

On the brick and mortar vs. online - have you checked lately? I have bad eyes, and it took a few years but I can buy online now. It changed for me a few years ago.