Do you journal first or last?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I almost always journal last, but definitely not because it's something I'm putting off. I love to journal, but it just seems to be my process to get the pictures on the page, then decorate and then fill every remaining empty space with journaling. :giggle

cfile, QuiltyMom and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I always add my journaling last, that might be because I change my mind and am always moving things around and I guess I don't add tons of words, just a note to remind myself what the photo was about or a message to one of my little people :)

QuiltyMom and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Mostly first - because I make it dependent on which kit and which photo I can take. And if I can avoid it, then no journaling at all. I prefer to scrap the theme of the kit, or if there is a WordArt, pick it up for my layout

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Last, always last

QuiltyMom and kimingvtx like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I usually add my journaling at the end of the creation process. Sometimes I have to move some things around to accommodate my words! LOL I don't stress too much about the journaling either. I figure basic information and some off-the-cuff remarks about the photo/location/people is enough and better than nothing!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

it's usually close to the last thing I do on a layout,.. but I can't leave a bunch not done and then go back and do them! Good luck!

cfile and QuiltyMom like this.
  8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Thanks for all of your responses. Sorry that I haven't replied to any of them - I'm still feeling kinda off from being sick so I haven't had much energy. Oh, to feel 100% again!

This is a different project for me since the subject covers 8 years. For this album I've already made some pages (woohoo!) but there's a lot that I haven't even started. I dumped the photos into Historian and never edited them. I've had to go back to Facebook to find things I'd uploaded to there but never took off my phone (eek!). Then I needed to find all the video clips from all over the place and consolidate them, uploading to SmugMug and my private YouTube channel (and making the QR codes) for the things I'll put in the book.

Thankfully I had tagged 80% of the photos and videos that I'd be needing to edit through. I then went through them all and designated a page per event (a few got two) so I knew what I had to scrap. That took a while because I had to choose what to include. I always set a 100 page limit so things don't get out of control! lol! THEN I had to start editing the photos, event by event, deciding which ones I wanted to scrap.

Once that was done I chose a template to use, placed the template in the correct page order, then added the photos. Dates, places, names were found and added to each page. After that I started the fun part of decorating the pages!

I'm now starting to go through them all adding the journaling (I really hate to journal because it all sounds the same...) making sure the journaling flows through the project, and do any last minute page editing. I'm currently on page 32 and so far only have one page I need to go back to finish (I really want to complete a page before moving on, but I'm too brain dead to scrap.) I'm making a list of the people who I can't identify to see if I can find someone who can. Then when that's all done I'll write the note to my DD for the first page.

I'm hoping to be all done in 1-1/2 weeks tops. We'll see!

9. KimGeling

KimGeling Active Member

For me journaling is usually the last thing I put on a page but I could not move on to other pages without completely finishing the whole page first.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I journal as I go, however it is the last thing I do on a page. Occasionally I will type up a journal before I scrap so I know what space to have for the journaling. Or I will journal mid-page if I'm doing pocket style and need to put it on a card first.

Journaling is difficult for me, so I procrastinate it.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

you might have guessed I love journaling and words and the story, but got to thinking perhaps when doing your ice skating pages...really most just need date, perhaps song and score of the routine. While you are putting that on the page. See if any memories happen. How this routine or costume was something she pushed to accomplish or as to the costume, how you searched for the right fabric. The photos speak to what is going on, and I think you have more words in you! I am gonna forever be pulling them from you. ♥

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I always journal last on my pages, but I've never done an album at once - I always go page by page!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

The journaling is often the most important part of the page for me and I even try to make that true for challenges. I want the story told not just a pretty page. When I'm doing an album or just a layout, I usually know where on the page the journaling will go and while usually goes on last, I have a good idea of where it will go. I love templates for travel books because I can have a dedicated spot in my mind as the page gets made.

lizziej and QuiltyMom like this.
  14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I either add journaling right after I add the photos (which is the first thing I do) or at the very end. Just depends on my mood.

15. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I'm a big journaler. That's why I scrapbook. Journaling is the last thing on my page. One of the reasons is so I can make sure to describe certain photos, if necessary. I often have a good idea of how much space I need. When I'm using a template, I sometimes have to cut it down to fit the journaling spot, although I've been known to stretch the spot! I complete a layout before I move on to the next one, although I did break my rule more than a handful of times when I was on a store CT and often worked on several layouts at a time.

16. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I journal never. Unless it's for a challenge.

17. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

I put my photos and my journaling on a blank canvas. That's how I start almost every page; then I build from there.

18. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Oh goodness! That will be quite a task, especially for someone not too keen on journalling!

For me it totally depends on my frame of mind, and if it is for a challenge. Sometimes when I am sitting with my kiddo for bed, I will journal a few photos ready for when I scrap them, this happens most during MOC because I don't want to waste any of the precious time we have.
    But usually I just journal when I scrap, and the journalling most often happens midway through the scrapping process so I can mesh it well with the page.
    Plus, I love talking and telling stories. Sometimes it is a challenge for me to keep it simple! Haha!

Good luck with the rest of it! You can do it!!

19. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

I journal last but have the journalling in my head before I start.