Laundry Question on detergents/softener

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have 2 front loaders and use Gain Pods now that they're available and dryer sheets.

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am intrigued. I have tried making my own liquid detergent from similar ingredients in the past and we ended up tossing it because it left a B.O. (body odor) smell behind. I'm interested because this recipe at least has the scent booster in it. I might have to try. I'm just worried that if we don't like it, it seems to make a TON of it. :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  4. Dalis

It does make a ton, we share it between neighbors.

Karen likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We made a similar recipe too. And I found it really didn't get my whites very clean. And yep - BO smell!

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well, I hope I like this powdered version because I was at Walmart last night and I bought the stuff and made a batch. It's TON! lol! It smells amazing though, so I'm hoping this is better than my liquid attempt several years ago. I'll let you know. :)

bestcee and Dalis like this.
  7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Yes with 4 sons (only one left at home) I would always add a cup of vinegar (you can get a huge jug at Costco for cheap) to the rinse cycle, gets rid of odor.

We had a front loader and sorry but I did not like mine at all so when that machine died I went back to the top load.
    We had all the issues you all are talking about! Sticking with my top load.

I use Powder and find it at Costco or Target. I normally don’t even look at the local grocery store so I don’t know. BUT I do notice Target has only a small section.

8. Dalis

let me know if you like it!!!!!!

Karen likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Ditto @Karen !

Karen likes this.
  10. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I used to use fabric softener, but we had to dismantle the washing machine once and I found it was all gunked up with fabric softener; I switched to vinegar and haven't looked back. I wash whites separately using the white setting and bleach.

I have a front load washer and I use two Tide pods in each load (they go directly into the drum, not the dispenser). I tried Kirkland brand liquid soap once, and it worked fine, but not as well as Tide does, so I switched back.

I find that an even dozen wool balls in the dryer works the best for me, especially since on busy laundry days, there are usually only 7-9 in there because some come out with the previous load.

My washer door is always barely open; that is, I gently close it until it resists, but doesn't latch. No bad smells.

11. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I have a top loader too. I find that the washer s are almost too efficient these days - ie low water use and ssuper intense spin cycles. I was told to always use the extra water and extra rinse cycle and to never spin clothes on the high setting. As for odors, I always leave the lid open after I pull out laundry and I run the tub clean cycle monthly. I also wipe down the inside rim area wear the rubber and meatal meet. There is definitely build up in this area. High maintenace, right!!