Appliance Woes :( |Pad Patter 2.27

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Feb 27, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaargh! We bought a brand new fridge a few years ago. It is gawgeous! Freezer on the bottom, double doors, ice machine and lights up like Broadway when you open it !
    I love it!
    BUT......................
    we have had nothing but problems with it...thankfully we did buy a warranty. The repair man comes AGAIN today to replace another part to the fridge.
    I had to pull everything out (3rd time) so it completely defrosts. (luckily I have another fridge outside). It is a pain in the butt.
    IF
    I would have called immediately when it began to ice, I would have a new one right now!
    aAAaaargh! cause I missed the same issue within 60 days part!
    I won't miss it again! lol

So, what about you, you have a lemon of an appliance you have fought with again and again?

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

What I struggle with is that these large appliances seem to be made to break within 5 years. Nothing like appliances lasting decades from my childhood.
    I still have a hand mixer that was an engagement present (31 years and counting), the toaster(wedding present) was replaced last year and the iron lasted 18 years. Great German engineering from back in the day!

I do trust that this is the solution now Anne and it behaves very well going forward.

Tree City likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm afraid to even answer this thread. I don't want any of my new appliances to read my comments and decide to act up and I don't want the appliances we haven't yet replaced to have a tantrum and break down lol!

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Anne, I'm glad that the issues are covered under warranty but I'm sorry you're having so many difficulties!

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Right now, my dishwasher doesn't dry. We've taken to hand washing for now. Not sure when we will get to choosing/delivery/installation. Ugh! I'm already putting it off!

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

So sorry to hear about your fridge woes, Anne! Our refrigerator from 1995 is currently the oldest remaining appliance in our house. I'm not looking forward to the expense of replacing it when it goes and I'm nervous that the next one won't last nearly as long, but I'll admit I do like the thought of getting something with a different layout. We have a large standalone freezer in another room now, so the one in the fridge barely gets used. I'd prefer the freezer on the bottom instead of the side-by-side we have.

We did a "refresh" (light remodel) of the kitchen about 10 years ago and replaced all of the other kitchen appliances then. The dishwasher has needed repairs once, but other than that they've been good (knock on wood). Our washer and dryer held on for about 25 years with only a few repairs here and there before we decided it wasn't worth fixing them anymore and went ahead and replaced them. Keeping my fingers crossed that was the right move, but so far so good! :)

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh what a pain Anne! I'm glad it's covered by warranty, but still a pain to have to take everything out and shuffle around and even call the repairman! I sure hope that the last of your troubles. I live in the town where Whirlpool Headquarters is based, so I feel like I should by their products etc, but we bought a dishwasher from them and within 10 year it had broken and needed to be replaced. Nothing seems to be built to last anymore. By the way Jenn @jk703 the new dishwasher we bought to replace the broken one is plastic inside (we bought a cheaper model this time) and it seemed like our dishes weren't drying in there. I looked it up online and everyone suggested using the JetDry product, which I had never used before, but it really does help the dishes dry now... so maybe that would help? If it's not just the heater is broken or something else like that... :)

The one appliance in our house that won't break (knock on wood) is our oven. It was built in the 70s and my hubby hates it. He's been trying to get me to replace it to match all the other white appliances in our house since we moved in 17 years ago, but it just won't die! :giggle The heating element did break awhile ago, but for $28 on Amazon we replaecd that and it's back to working like a champ! :giggle Poor hubby.

[​IMG]

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have used it in the past, but I'm going to try again! I used it only for the spots, lol! Thanks @Karen!

Karen likes this.
  9. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Our appliances are the ones that came with our home when we purchased it...shoot, they are probably the ones the builder supplies with the home so over 20 years old. They just need to be replaced but are one of those expenses that you usually wait until they die to do. Haha!

10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've learned the hard way what brands/stores NOT to buy. Thankfully we've been relatively free of issues lately and we've an amazing appliance repair company that tells you the truth when they come to repair something, such as if it'll be more expensive to repair than to replace. Thankfully everything's working at the moment, but we'll need to purchase a few new appliances when we do our kitchen update. I'm dreading finding the right things!

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I mentioned in the other thread that over the last three weeks, we've had the septic pumped, the line cleared, & the toilet replaced so yeah, I'd say it was a lemon. Hopefully it's smooth sailing (ha!) from here.

12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I could have written a very similar fridge post. We bought a Kitchen Aid fridge a couple years ago and have replaced multiple parts. Don't even get me going on the ice maker. It's constantly freezing. Ugh.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

The hubby has been getting brave lately. If it breaks and requires a service call, he figures he could try fixing it first. So far he has replaced the computer controls of the oven, the switch on the stovetop fan, and the heating element in the dryer. He can wangle toilets and lay flooring tiles but those are landlord skills.

My fridge is 20+ years old and I love the look of the new ones, but it sounds like I should wait until it really breaks.

Karen likes this.
  14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Right? Just like cars, the fancier they get the more that could go wrong.

My hubby has always been able to work on cars up until we both got new cars. Now, he can't touch them.

Karen and BevG like this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

They definitely do not make things like they used to. I thankfully don't have any issues right now *knock wood* but I've had my fair share. I seem to go through washing machines! Just bought a new one last summer and I think it will be my fourth one, whereas my mom has had hers for 35 years and it's still works beautifully.
    I will admit to having a few times that I wished my frig would break because I hate it. It works fine, though. It's just that my DH and daughter talked me in to one a few years ago that has this shiny black finish and it shows every fingerprint and every tiny little dent just shines. There's not handle on it, just a slit on the side of the door, and no one will use that slit, they put their hands all over the outside and it drives me bonkers. I know that's far from being what you're experiencing, but I had to vent a little :giggle Sorry you're dealing with so many issues with yours.

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you poor thing - the whole moving stuff out of fridges and all the call outs, i can't even imagine; without a doubt for us it's our dishwasher - it's again sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, blocking the laundry door and pantry/cupboard doors and most of the sink (my backs killing me from washing up at odd angles, wedged in next to it and leaning).
    It is the only brand the appliance store sells that even under warranty (it's about 7 mths old) you have to arrange a service through the manufacturer (add in extra wait time for call backs and obvious 'have you tried this?' questions and them to submit paper work only to arrange it on a day that you didn't ask for) instead of directly arranging it with the stores service department, and bonus, it's the only brand don't routinely carry parts for.
    It has apparently been slowly leaking for months to the point that the base boards underpinning the whole kitchen bench (that is about 3 and a half metres long & wraps over the window ledge, so not easy to replace) have swollen and it doesn't fit completely back in; it's been a lemon since the first week; it's currently waiting on the service man to have time to install some new tube but it's not guaranteed to fix it and then today there were ants everywhere and it looks like they came out of the powerpoint socket for the dishwasher so insert head hitting wall emoji and i feel your appliance pain, twin!

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

we hvae this issue with stainless steel too (fridge ,oven, microwave, stupid dishwasher) - if they ever dusted my house for fingerprints they'd find a million of them in the kitchen!

18. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

This is a woe of my own doing... I accidentally left the fridge open a bit today (didn’t shut the fruit drawer all the way) and didn’t discover it for FIVE HOURS. Needless to say on this unseasonably warm day, there were a lot of things in my fridge that weren’t good anymore.

19. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

we have stainless steel everything as well, including a great expanse of patterned SS bench front - I love it. We use the stainless steel wipes on everything and no fingerprints (spilt drinks, splattered food and other assorted gunk but NO fingerprints :giggle) It does leave a very slight oily finish but it's not noticeable after a while... We have shiny dark brown cupboard doors up high and the finger prints on that are way worse.

Our fridges over the years have caused issues - luckily the last problems were still under warranty and they just replaced the whole freezer door. Our ice maker stopped working at the start of summer and major panic set in - but the lines were just frozen and a quick blast with the hairdryer fixed it. The sound of ice dropping into it's little container was the sweetest sound.:happydance2

bellbird likes this.
  20. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We are Fridge & Dishwasher shopping for our basement bar that is in the process of being finished (as I type! They are finishing up the stained concrete floors right now!) SO TELL ME what NOT to buy! ;) ;)