question about shadows

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by marijke, Jan 29, 2019.

1. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

[​IMG]

This page was my first choice for the MOC challenge of day 29

but I have no idea how I can make such a shadow on the paper ...
    Is there someone who can put me on the road? Would there be an action in the shop? that would be very useful ...

weaselwatchr likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

A-M, marijke and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@marijke - not sure what program you use but Elif Sahin has these styles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And like Anne suggested, Valorie Wibbens has these in addition to templates that can be used on any layout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-M, Angela Toucan and marijke like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@marijke Marijke, It looks like Stefanie @Eyeore , Anne & Kayla have answered your question pretty well... the bent mark can be achieved with the items that Stefanie, Anne & Kayla pointed out... you can even clip a gradient to the top edge (black to transparent) and then lighten the opacity a bit. @Ga_L gave me a quick little tut to show me that with the gradient... I managed to play with it for a while.. the trick though is the gradient or shading at the top of the page.

Here is a screen shot I just made re a simple bend on the matte paper behind the photo. A black line will do that too.. in essence for a paper layout if it is shaded that way is because there is a bend in it. Here I made a black long triangle and lowered the fill to 15%. (see "Bend Layer"). You can also add a gradient at the top or black with lightened opacity clipped to the photo will give it that illusion.

bend.JPG

Here is now adding the gradient on the top of the photo.

bend2.JPG
    hope that helps a bit.. Those 2 packs of Mommyish's will do that for you easily that Stefanie linked you to, and Valorie Wibbens, & Elif Sahin's packs that Kayla noted will help with that too.

(photo is from pixabay and paper was from brightside)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thank you all for your quick answers ... after the challenges of MOC7 I look for what is best for me ...

bestcee and cfile like this.
  7. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

8. cfile

You are welcome!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  9. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thank you for the tuts @cfile. and for the posts. i posted a second layout based on the paper to scraplift challenge and struggled with how to curl the doily. what should i get from the store.

here is the paper layout i am trying to scrap

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/217650594478879908/

and here is mine so far with out the great shadows. appreciate any thoughts and ideas. thanks you ladies are so talented and knowledgeable

[​IMG]

10. cfile

Re the doily add a layer over the doily and clip the blank layer to the doily below .. then like I sud in the screen shot of the photo Use a blank to transparent gradient flood fill and just do a slight gradient on the top edge of the doily and then adjust the opacity if the gradient.. a slight darkening will make it appear to bend.

bjc likes this.
  11. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

@cfile thank you. i was able to get it bend on the top but when i do the bottom to make it curl it didnt look right???
    2018-8-16-spencer-with-doily-shadow_600web.jpg

cfile and bestcee like this.
  12. cfile

Bobbie Jo, I think it looks good.. you can also angle the black to transp gradient so it isn't up/down. I am going to copy yours and see if I can do it, but I think your page looks terrific! This is what I did with your flattened jpeg, but actually I like yours just the way it is :) Well done :)

2018-8-16-spencer-with-doily-shadow_600web.jpg

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

@bjc
    Glad your getting help!! Christa @cfile I know @Isa Marks also has a video too, (?) I linked in the gallery but not sure if that has been answered yet, do you know where that is?
    THIS is something I really need to spend some time on learning!

Li Li Wee likes this.
  14. cfile

Iam not sure about a video re Isa uses... I think she has in the past notated Sahlin's blog tutorial?? I will search around.

15. cfile

I found these two threads:
    Barbara,
    The video is in Spanish, but if you watch it and you know the tools, you can still understand how to do bends using warps etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    SeattleSheri, elseepe and Sokee like this.
  16. carolinagirl

carolinagirl New Member

Thanks for asking this question and for the responses. This is something I'd like to learn how to do as well.

17. cfile

@michelepixels @cookingmylife I haven't forgotten about you both and your question... still working on the best way to go about explaining simple shadows, splitting them out in PSE and also different shadow style specifications re depth distance etc.. in the meantime this is a post I did during MOC or right after... this may help some too.

Maureen - Do you have Mommyish's action for splitting out shadows in PSE? That is the easiest way..

I will go ahead and try to work on this this week in between other things. The first is Friday and I have a few things on the agenda to take care of first.

michelepixels likes this.
  18. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

19. cfile

Thanks Kayla.. I knew Cheryl had one didn’t know where. Thanks for posting it here

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have this from Mommyish, but actions in PSE 2018 work differently than they do in PS. The shadow separates out as a separate layer but it is only keeps the part of the shadow that was already showing to start with (i.e. a thin edge). In Cheryl's method, the shadow is the size of the element, which allows you more flexibility.