And the snow has begun!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Jan 28, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Supposedly it snowed this year. I never saw it. My friend says the last time she saw snow in Vegas (She grew up in Virginia) was about 9 years ago. And it's never as bad as those east coast snowstorms right now!

2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

It snowed in Summerlin last month!

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

LOL! I saw photos....That wasn't snow!

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@weaselwatchr I didn't realize you were in Michigan too! You live right near my sister (she's in Macomb) I'm on the SW corner in St. Joseph. We had at least a foot of snow fall yesterday. :) I love it! I helped my hubby clear the driveway and shoveled our front porch and steps off even though no one even uses that door. It's so pretty. My kids have their second snow day in a row today and I'm sure that are going to be off tomorrow and Thursday too because of the insane cold temps we are expecting! It's supposed to be a high of -12°F tomorrow and with the windchill it could be -50°F!!! I'm just happy to have some evening things canceled so I can stay home and scrap! :) I'm supposed to get my hair cut and colored tonight and it's the third attempt to get that done.. I'm afraid she's going to cancel on me again... :(

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yep, I agree with your DH. :giggle

6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I live in Linden (about 30 minutes each from Flint, Detroit, and Brighton) and work in Milford, but have been working from home the last two days while school is closed. I've always been under the impression that all the Michigan Lilypad people were closer to the edges of the state and that I was alone here in the middle.

The kids enjoy it being off school, but I feel bad because they mostly have to fend for themselves while I'm working. (My youngest will be 10 next Monday and my oldest is 16, so they are old enough to be alone together, but I prefer to be around.)

It was so windy yesterday, I can't really tell how much snow we had, but when I walk the dog around the yard now, my feet sink all the way down up to my ankles. (Thank goodness for boots!) When we came home from our haircuts yesterday, the snow in the road was level with the snow in the yards and I could hardly tell where the curb started. I'm just glad it's not wet and frozen snow, but I also wish it wasn't so cold out.

Karen likes this.
  7. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I'm near Cleveland, OH and bracing for negative temps and no school on probably Wednesday and Thursday. Luckily, I got all the supplies for my DD's crystal growing science project, so her time off won't be totally wasted.

8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm 2 miles south of the Michigan state line (about an hour south of @Karen) and so far in the last 2 weeks, we've had freezing rain, rain, ice, sleet, & 6-7 inches of snow. It is currently a "balmy" 6 degrees (-14 C) with the winds gusting at around 25 mph (40kph). Our "high" tomorrow is -12 (-24 C). The coldest EVER recorded temperature here, since the late 1800s, is -22 (-30), and they are saying it's entirely possible we could break that record. The windchill will make it feel like -35 to -40 (-37 to -40) most of tomorrow and Thursday.

I rearranged my work schedule so I could be home with the kids tomorrow & Thursday (although they had today off as well). Depending on when the airmass moves out, they may or may not have school Friday, either. I might have to come in Saturday to finish up for the week if the air doesn't move on until Friday evening. I have Raynaud's so I CANNOT be outside when it's as cold as it will be Wednesday and Thursday.

By next Monday, they are forecasting a high of 48 which is a SIXTY DEGREE DIFFERENCE in 6 days.

FUN TIMES.

Karen and weaselwatchr like this.
  9. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we've had icy rain today with some sleet and a short time of snow

weaselwatchr likes this.
  10. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

It's so cold I refused to leave the house today. Hubby was a real hero and went to sams and the grocery store. ANd it's not even as cold here as it is in other places.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  11. weaselwatchr

I am jealous! I think 75 is a good temperature. Now to find where it is that temperature all year long.

12. weaselwatchr

Hope you don't have to go out in it at all. Whenever it rains in the winter I always thnk to myself, what if that was snow? I'd take rain over snow unless it freezes, then not so much.

13. weaselwatchr

Next time we will try. Need your address, lol

14. weaselwatchr

I do not envy you one bit! We are lucky that we are not getting such cold temps like the rest of the midwest.

Karen likes this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I didn't even go out to get the mail today. Think I'll skip checking it tomorrow as well. I don't anticipate going outside until at least Friday. Luckily I have the dog trained to do her thing on pee pads in the garage. So even she doesn't have to go out in the extreme cold.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

They were predicting 2-4 inches here but we got nothing that stuck. It snowed for maybe 20 minutes. My kids were totally disappointed. It is supposed to get down in the teens for us tonight (which is cold for here). Right now I'm sitting by my nice, warm wood burning stove.

17. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Well, its early Saturday morning and the wicked week of sub zero weather is finally coming to an end!! Got 3 to 5 feet of snow on Monday, schools closed all week, that was a first; and they stopped mail delivery on Wednesday because of the very low chill factor. Just too dangerous to be out there!! Now Sunday and Monday are suppose to be in the 40s! Go figure!!