Technique Slow Scrap | Mon Dec 17 @ 11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Dec 17, 2018.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Hello and Happy December!

I know we're all busy at the end of the year, so I'm going to challenge you to make beautiful layouts in a flash only using styles.

I'm guessing that 99% of the time, we use styles to add shadows to our layout and forget the endless possibilities that styles can offer. Here are 3 quick and easy ways to use styles to create amazing works of art with a simple click.

1- Create elements out of simple shapes
    [​IMG]

2- Change the mood of a photo with a color overlay
    [​IMG]

3- Add texture to papers and elements
    [​IMG]
    Here is my layout. I used Soco's freebie template and ONLY added styles to the elements on the layout. Yep! That's right! I ONLY used styles...NO papers....NO elements....NOTHING other than a simply click of a button.

[​IMG]

INSTRUCTIONS:

Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. Create a LO using a style other than shadows.

You do not have to just use styles as I did in my example, but you must use at least 1 style that isn't your everyday drop shadows.

Don't have any styles???? NO problem. Check out the wonderful styles we have in the store and Nicole has several FREE styles available. STYLES HERE

The best part....my LO only took about 2 minutes, but you have 24 hours to complete your LO. They are due Tuesday, Dec 18 at 12pm Eastern time

norton94 and amien1 like this.
  2. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

3. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the inspiration! I used a template by NBK designs and many styles, all from her Current Mood Collection.
    [​IMG]

4. Toucanettes

Toucanettes Active Member

This is Joy.
    Mummy showed me how to use the effects in Craft Artist. I have had lots of fun, but I'm late for bed now so I had better go. This is my page
    [​IMG]

5. lou

lou Well-Known Member

I completely forgot the chat this morning.
    Do you know that styles are exclusive to Photoshop (PS/PSE/CC whatever it's called nowadays)? So not all of us can use "styles".
    I know of work-arounds in the software I use (not sure about members who use PSP or GIMP or Artisan or something else), although it is not strictly speaking "styles" so they will not be any "styles" in my credits because I have to do it manually/use plugins specific to my software. I hope it's ok...

6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we are doing the same @lou , and at the chat that was agreed as fine. In our software they are called effects rather than styles, and we have to use the built in ones, or create our own from scratch.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    lou likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

It's been a while since I played with effects @FarrahJobling , thank you for prompting me to use them again.
    [​IMG]

8. lou

lou Well-Known Member

9. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Lou- I do my best to make sure that my technique scraps are all inclusive and everyone can participate if they want to, whilst highlighting our designers' fabulous products. As always, I'm super relaxed about the "rules" and any workaround is acceptable under the circumstances. My goal is to encourage learning something new =)

norton94 and lou like this.
  10. lou

lou Well-Known Member

I understand completely, I missed the chat so I wanted to make sure it would be ok.
    I know it's not reaslistic, but I wish instead of only selling styles, designers could also sell the styles "recipe", or tutorial. Same for actions. It means all non-PS users could translate the styles to their programs more easily.

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi Farrah, I'm sorry I missed the chat. I had it in my mind that it was tomorrow, even though I received the announcement for today. And I was at home too. Hopefully I got the instructions correct. I used styles from Mommyish & Sahlin Studio. I did create a custom shape (heart) and applied a glitter style to it.

[​IMG]

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I was away from home during the chat. I still had a calendar reminder notification of the chat though, so I thought of you all. :heartlub I'm tired now and spent too much time figuring out what I wanted to scrap and what style to use. I don't have many styles; mostly just old freebies like this water style by Mommyish, which I applied to my title.
    [​IMG]

13. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Used a Mommyish style on my PS custom shape star:
    [​IMG]

14. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I used an NBK template with a lot of her styles and Mommyish's styles
    [​IMG]

15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you for the challenge, very sorry I missed the chat, I cant seem to get organized enough and actually remember things these days;
    I have just installed a newer version of elements ( 15) and not many styles there I just discovered ,and haven't had time to find my old ones and load them yet, so here is a puzzle style, with a paint effect and a bubble border, not sure I like it, but I had fun.
    [​IMG]

16. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a page done, but I didn't have wifi/connection on pc and it looks like I can't connect my phone to pc right now, so my lo it's trapped in the computer :hairpol

Edit: yay everything worked fine in the end!
    I used a style by Leah for my title.
    Thank you for the challenge Farrah and sorry for yesterday ^^' I don't know if you and Angela got my last answer, but it was "Italian", that's my native language :clap
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I like to procrastinate apparently ;) here's mine! I had fun figuring out what all the different Distort buttons do in GIMP. I ended up using the Wave distort on the background paper and the three single hearts. I also made my text into a sticker because I hadn't done that in awhile. Thanks for encouraging learning! Sorry I missed the chat.
    [​IMG]

18. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Here's one from me using a Glitter style by NBK Design and PSE glass button style

[​IMG]