November 2018 - Monthly Muse - Week #2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 13, 2018.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

[​IMG]

Hi everyone and welcome to Week 2 of November's Monthly Muse - Contrasts in Art.

For week 1 we looked at contrasts in art photography, exploring physical contrasts around us.

This week's challenge will be a lot easier, I promise :)

Week 2: Nov 13-19 | Contrasts in Art: Textures
    Textures are all around us and we can describe them as being smooth, silky, rough and so on. While some things feel just as they appear, for instance, the roughness of bark on a tree (real/actual), other textures can be created to look like something it is not (visual/implied). In art, texture refers to the surface quality in a work of art. For digital artists this means that various techniques are used to imply a particular type of texture, ie. smooth or rough.

Textures can be digitally used in a composition to create visual interest, create a contrast within the design or visually balance a design composition. Using various contrasting textures in our scrapbooking layouts can give viewers the illusion of an actual texture and can stimulate not only their sense of sight but of touch as well.

So for this week's challenge I want you to create a layout using some form of contrasting textures on it so think along the lines of having smooth and rough areas within your layout. I am not talking about using patterns or colours to provide the contrast, but textures that imply a touchable texture of some sort like gesso as opposed to watercolour; rough textured paper as opposed to plain/solid paper. You can create your page about anything you like and use any colour scheme you wish to.

Here is my page: I used a couple of styles in the background to give the appearance of gesso paintwork, in contrast to the smooth surface of the photo within the frame and some of the smooth patches of the background paper that the larger photo was blended into. For the elements I created contrast by pairing a piece of lace with a piece of greenery; a small material flower and a small piece of paper. Using a brush/stamp underneath creates another piece of contrast between the 'real' and 'drawn' types of elements.

[​IMG]
    (See my gallery for credits)

Once again I am looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!! Remember you can scrap in any page design or style you like, just make sure to have fun with it!
    Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to December 3, 2018 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. :)

If you have any questions about the challenge or how I created my layout then please ask here in this thread, I am more than happy to share my knowledge! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a wonderful challenge, Ona! Your layout is fantastic - it definitely looks "touchable".

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

This really was a challenge! Fun, but I had to be much more aware of texture than I normally am. It was interesting to find that most of my plain papers have at least a little texture in them, so I opted to just fill the background with a color and add texture to only part of the page. A realistic seagull...fantasy flock...big cursive title with style...old fashioned type for quote...realistic rope...doodles/artsy marks...realistic frame...fantasy cloud...etc.
    [​IMG]

Carol K., Cherylndesigns and wvsandy like this.
  4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

This was fun!
    [​IMG]

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

great challenge
    [​IMG]

6. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

I liked the contrast of the bumpy gesso on the smooth newsprint of this paper I used for my ATC.
    [​IMG]

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a fun challenge! It took me awhile to get a "direction" I wanted to go in, but I got lots of different textures on my page. Thanks for another great challenge, Ona!

[​IMG]

8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

9. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

As my Hubby says fall fell. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

10. wombat146

As always it's such a treat popping in to find how very creative you have all been while I was away!! Stunning selection of layouts ladies, and wow! you really took this week's challenge and ran with it! LOVE!!!! :fairydance:heartlub

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  11. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

My ATC for week 2:

[​IMG]

Carol K. likes this.
  12. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Another Great Challenge This Week!...As Scrapbookers...I Think We All Love The Look Of Textures But Sometimes We Can't/Won't/Don't Put In The Necessary Time To Achieve This Look Or Perhaps We Just Don't Know How To Accomplish This Look...It Does Take Some Extra Time Certainly But The End Result Can Provide So Much Extra Depth Or Perception Than A Layout Without It...I Started Making This Layout Only Planning On Doing Something Simple With Textures But As Per Me...I Just Couldn't Stop With A Few Textures...Once I Started Creating...This Layout Morphed Into A Completely Different Design Than What I Had Originally Intended But I Really Like The Way The Different Textures Ended Up Looking With The Mix Of Soft Fall Colors In The Completed Page...

*For My Seasons Change Layout-I Used:

*Reality Bites-Lynn Grieveson
    *Explore-M3-Bundle-Lynne-Marie
    *Fall-Bundle-Lynne-Marie
    *Journey-M3-Mixed Bag-Lynne-Marie
    *Autumn Goodies-Elements-Paula Kesselring
    *Messy Marks-Date Stamps-Rachel Jefferies
    *In The Forest-Kristin Aagard
    *Hayrides & Smiles-Allison Pennington
    *Empty Nest-Elements-Amy Wolff
    *Fa La La Season's Greetings-Pink Reptile Designs
    *Welcome Bag-2018:Tabs-Just Jaimee
    *The Woodsman-Mini-Marisa Lerin(1 Item Used)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  13. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I LOVE your sample LO!!
    [​IMG]

14. wombat146

Fabulous pages ladies!! into the gallery I go to leave some much deserved love!

15. Carol K.

Carol K. Well-Known Member

16. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

I went with raised (parts of photo, scatter, wordstrip & button and milk spill) and flat (brush stroke, parts of photo, typing, border). Thanks for the challenge!

[​IMG]