torn sheets | pad patter 11.13.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Nov 13, 2018.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Our bed sheets are so worn and thin that hubby stuck his big toe through one last night. Yep it's torn about a foot! (pun intended.... hehe) I'm always teasing him about having long toenails, so this was a good opportunity to razz him a bit. But seriously, now I need to go buy a new set of sheets. Our spare set of sheets is worn and thin too, but hopefully they'll last until I can go buy new ones.

That's where all of you come in.
    1. Do you have a set of sheets that you absolutely love
    2. Where did you purchase them and what brand, thread count, fabric, etc do you recommend?
    BONUS: How old are the pair of sheets on your bed right now? Mine were 7 years old. We got them when we bought our queen-size mattress.

cfile likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I hate buying sheets because it's very hard to find what I like. I'm not big into the smooth polished satiny fabrics with high thread counts for I don't like the way they feel or last. They seem to wear out very fast, even the name brands. Give me the old 100% cotton percale of my childhood and I'm thrilled. I was able to find some I like at Kohl's - one of their brands. I got two sets last Black Friday for a steal and I've been so happy with them. They're plain white (I know - boring!) but they do the trick.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I go for the thread count. I'm super picky about my sheets and pillowcases. I also like Egyptian Cotton and at least 400 thread count satisfies my need for softness. I have a friend who is buying only bamboo sheets/pillowcases, but I haven't tried them. We usually go to Bed, Bath & Beyond to buy sheets. We have queen beds, but a few king pillows, so I have to find king pillowcases that aren't with a set of sheets. That isn't always easy, but I look at places like Home Goods, and believe it or not, I find the best bargains and high thread count at Old Time Pottery. Who knew?

4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm happy with any sheet that fits my mattress and I haven't found the right one yet. Drives me crazy!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Oh gosh.. we had that issue recently! Lol we have a duvet and a down quilt so I have to get the duvet at bed bath and beyond and then I can get a fitted sheet at Walmart! Well just measure the width of your mattress so the fitted sheet will fit right. I bought one and it didn’t fit like it should so after a few days of the queen fitted sheet coming off the mattress I had to get another and realized there are sizes on the fitted sheet! I never had this issue before but we too got a new mattress in March and it was thicker than our last one. The new one is perfect!! Good luck!

6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I found some at Walmart that I love. I am more focused on getting the fitted sheet to fit the mattress since we have a "thick" mattress and I have to get the deep pocket sheets.

I personally think it is hit and miss on what you like since everyone has their "own" feel they are looking for.

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Oh!! We just had that happen a few weeks ago!!! But ours ripped along the edge on my side (probably from me yanking more of the sheet my direction :giggle). I will confess that those sheets were 21 years old... they were a wedding gift that we had forgotten about. We found them in our move here five years ago and put them on the bed. I was way over thinking what sheets I wanted, but next thing I knew it was cleaning lady day and I couldn't face her if she had to put ripped sheets back onto our bed! So I ran out to Target super fast and got a set. I don't love them... but I do like them. One day I'll do the work and pick out a good set. :-)

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really hate buying sheets and usually end up asking for someone to get me a set for birthdays or Christmas. I like the ones I have now, but they were a Christmas gift from my mom last year, so I don't know that much about them. I should have paid attention to the packaging I guess lol.

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't have much to say about sheets. I bought three sets of flannel sheets in 2006 and only had to throw one out just recently. Same reason, Kayla; my husband ripped a hole in them. The woven sheets we use in the summer we've had for 3 or 4 years and the sets we had before I got those must date back to when we moved into this house and bought the king size bed in 2000, because I can't even remember buying them.

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I probably buy way too many sheet sets but DH is the picky one & has stormed off half way thru the night complaining about anything & everything when I've put new sheets on (yes they've been washed first to remove surface dyes & whatnot ) so it's not like I could or would return them so I go back to our old 'acceptable' ones more often than I wish but now they are approaching thread bare ( & only get to use the new pillowcases on my own pillow) - I like 400 thread count but the old ones were 225 but even new ones at that thread count were not acceptable so :shrug - I'm waiting for the day he puts his toe thru it so I can finally use my cupboard full of washed & used once sheets!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

And while I'm ranting about linen, I got stung once that a 'sheet set' at some point has changed - I thought I was getting a good deal but it was a 'fitted sheet set', so just the fitted sheet & pillow case; no top sheet; I can't * not* have a tip sheet so now I have learnt to read exactly what's included before going to the checkout !

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I buy sheets more often than I wish. And the most important thing to me is price and washing instructions. Someday I'll have nice sheets. But that someday will be after the munchkin stops getting the dog to roughhouse on the bed. Seriously, I think almost every sheet set I've bought has a little hole from dog teeth or child. I have no idea how he puts holes in my sheets! :hairpol
    And yes, we bought a more expensive higher thread count. It didn't last any longer. So, until those sneaky monsters I live with stop playing in my bed no matter how many times I yell at them - :madd

Sorry. I got carried away there. Anyway. No suggestions here. I'd sleep with flannel sheets, but DH gets too hot, so cotton it is. And I add a blanket on my side.

13. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

The summer sheets we currently use as it is nearly summer here Down Under, are ones I think I bought a couple of years before we moved 5 years ago. I really like them as the fitted ones really do fit our think pillow topped mattress. With not living were used to I am not looking forward to eventually replacing them once they are worn out as I may not find the same one again after so long and from a different store.

14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've recently turned some torn sheets into a rug. I have some more waiting to be turned into something useful.
    We always buy 100% cotton as much as possible, but poly cotton is easier to get hold of. I'm not brand loyal - we buy what we find and like when we need it.

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my gosh that's so funny! Lol. My hubby gets teased for his long toenails too and if our sheets rip, it's always on his side. Ha ha!

I discovered our current sheets from a recommendation and I can't even describe how much I love them and ESPECIALLY for the price! They are Mezatti brand sold on Amazon and the King sized ones are only $29!!! They are so smooth and soft and we've had our for a year now and wash them and swap between a second pair we bought right after the first ones and we've had zero issues with pilling or wearing out so far! They are rather thin, but for as thin as they are, they are very durable! We love them and whenever our guests sleep on them, they always ask where we got them. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

busywoman139 likes this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We have a regular height firm mattress and I have found that those deep pocket sheets won't stay tight on it. I love tight sheets. My current set is from Costco and is the Kirkland brand. They only have queen and king sizes, but oh I love them.

My MIL gave us velour/fleece sheets and while I love them, dh does not. So they sit in the closet.

17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

What is it with dudes and their toes? DH's are yucky too, lol! :)

I seem to have good luck with Tommy Hilfiger sheets for the master. I pick them up at Home Goods for a pretty good price. They are soft and wash well. DS is very particular about texture, so I get whatever set he likes that he'll actually sleep on lol! Recently (and thankfully) a set of Trollhunters sheets was on clearance at Target and he approved! DD wanted them too so I picked up 2 sets.

18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

lol
    I just ordered some! lol

Karen and busywoman139 like this.
  19. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I usually just get mine at Target. We like the Threshold brand.

20. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Higher the thread count the better in general, but my favorite summer sheets are SUPER soft & cool- they are martha stewart & I got them on clearance! My favorite winter ones we have on right now are flannel & so warm! My hubby has a sheet problem & is always wanting more! I think we have at least 8 sets for our King bed (some are getting really old & need tossed out) and each kids' bed has at least 4 sets. My daughter & the guest bed are both Queen size, so they share sheets! ;) I usually shop the clearance bin at Macys- I've gotten some amazing sheets for under $30!