dSLR or phone-camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by SharLamb, Oct 17, 2018.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Indeed - but I have yet to jump on the Instant Pot wagon... she says as she goes off to check out the Friday releases....

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I REALLY need to get a cross-body strap! I know I'd take my DSLR with me more if I did. My iPhone really does take great pictures, though. Like I said earlier, if I'm going on a trip, like to the mountains, I'd definitely have my Nikon with me. I took it to Disneyworld and it was raining and yucky and after the first day (that it spent in the backpack) I just went with my iPhone. I did use it at night to shoot the fireworks that were right off our balcony, however.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I was just thinking the same thing. :happyclap:happyclap

bestcee likes this.
  4. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Nikon DSLR with me always except perhaps restaurant at night when I'll use my phone if I need to take photos. The only time I use my phone exclusively is if it is pouring rain and I don't want to get DSLR and lens wet.

Angela Toucan and bestcee like this.
  5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

an SLR is big. I don't have a camera on my phone. I have a small point and click digital camera that I'm thinking of upgrading as it's easy to use, but not a clear in quality as TJ's newer point and click is. My husband, the keen photographer, has a hybrid digital camera.

bestcee likes this.
  6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem to matter what phone or app I use -- my photos are embarrassingly bad and I don't use my phone's camera unless I don't have any other choice. I have a great tote bag (and a cross body strap) for my DSLR and I take it with me whenever I think there might be a chance that I'm going to want to take pictures. (Of course I always have it with me at home. :))

bestcee likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

OK, for those of you that have cross body straps, please link some good ones up please?????

:)

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

THIS.

I bought my Sony mirrorless and it's SO light. I have a wrist strap for it and it's so easy to carry around. It weighs about what my phone does!

I get DSLR quality (actually better than my old Nikon DSLR that I purchased in 2010) and have all the convenience and ease of the phone camera.

I still use both phone and Sony mirrorless . . . like someone else said . . . I'm trying to capture a moment and sometimes that moment won't stand still and wait for me to retrieve my mirrorless, you know? And my phone seems to be part of my body. LOL

bestcee likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Love that the mirrorless are so light. I'm staying away from even looking at them though - bc I think I will fall in love and I just don't want to spend the $$.

[​IMG]

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

kiss

I just sat down with my breakfast and logged in to TLP and there's Bart immediately hopping into my path! LOL

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

for many reasons, main being health, I havent read all posts, but now I have an iPhone...I am using my DSLR home, and the phone when I forget my camera when am cooking, walking 4 meters to the kitchen and 4 m back to the kitchen is agony to me... am still not comfy talking photo in the street much with the phone. There is a trend in London of people robbed of their phones by guys in bikes (motor or ever push pedal ones) I'm thinking I ll start using my compact cannon again, it is awesome but it actually doesn't look expensive so ,,,less danger!!!!

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  12. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I THIRD THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Tree City likes this.
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

14. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I sometimes make a conscious decision to *just* take the iPhone if I know I'm not going to be too bothered about having ultra awesome, high-quality photos, or if I'm going to be somewhere that I just don't want to carry the big camera around all day. Like last fall- I went to Disney with my sister-in-law and her family. I'd already been earlier in the year (and carried the DSLR around then) and wanted to try out walking around with just a tiny purse and my phone all day. It was awesome. But next year when I take my niece for her first trip there ever? You can bet I'll be toting my Nikon all week!

Also, looking at the comments on zoom on a iPhone/camera phone, I just wanted to chime in with this. The zoom on ANY fixed lens system (which is what a phone is) is a digital zoom...which basically is just cropping as it takes the photo (only using a portion of the detector). You could seriously get the exact same photo by not using digital zoom and then cropping in software later. Zoom lenses are optical zoom, which means that they're using actual glass and elements to get you closer to the action, but your camera is still capturing that photo at its full detector size.

I just got this one a couple of months ago and LOVE it! I was a bit leery of the clip that attaches the camera to the strap at first, but there's also a secondary strap attached where the neck strap would normally go, so it's actually quite safe. And it's just $16! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLXDF9J/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

Oh, and for anyone who made it this far in the post....

[​IMG]

15. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

16. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

@scrappyjedi i just bought the same strap about a month ago! I love it! I do use my DSLR quite a bit still. I prefer all my photos in one place!

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thanks @scrappyjedi I knew the zoom thing was technical, but couldn't remember the stuff behind it!

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is the cross body strap I have.
    OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling - Padded Neoprene Camera Sling with Quick Disconnects and Control-Stretch System (Black)
    It was $25 when I bought it.
    I wanted one that attached in the same place as the original strap. Also, one that didn't take the tripod space because at the time I was using that space.
    I've had mine since April 2016, and love it. It makes me a tiny bit nervous because it only attaches on one side if the camera, but that hasn't been a problem yet. And it allows me to push the camera to my back for protection - think climbing into a hay wagon. I like the quick release because I can toss it in my purse without the strap if needed.

And now I'm off to check out the Melissa recommended. Because.... Enabled.

19. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

20. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Well, I made the mistake of buying a Pentax. BAD mistake. Have had it about 5 years and STILL don't know how to use it. There's so little on YouTube on how to handle it. It's been collecting dust in my closet. I love using my Phone camera. The photos go right to my computer where I can do a lot with them. The three photos in my MOC 16 layout were taken with my phone.

bestcee likes this.