October 2018 Book Club - One of Us Is Lying

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

:giggle

2. Karen

I just finished this one last night and I liked it. I'm actually glad that it wasn't really very much like The Breakfast Club past the first bit with them in detention together. I thought maybe I had the culprit figured out, but I wasn't really sure until it came out in the book, so I liked that too. I liked the unlikely romance bits thrown in and I thought it wrapped up pretty tidily. :)

bellbird likes this.
  3. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I just started this last night! I'm on page 3 and have made my preliminary guess as to whodunnit :crazy

Oh my gosh LOL

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

I wanna know who you think did it... before you get to the end. :)

5. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I just finished the book today and I am loving it! It was a good and relatively easy read. I liked how we were able to read from the POV's of all the for teens. It really kept it interesting. I too, had this hunch about the killer early on, which ended up being right. BUT there was so much going on I kept doubting.
    Also kudos for the writer for being able to write the irritating one-in-a-dozen Addie in the beginning and then ending up with a very different girl, definitely not boring and annoying.

MrsEm likes this.
  6. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I finished this in record time! I was totally pulled in and really enjoyed it. White:

So I went through a whole string of wrong guesses as to whodunnit. First, I thought Addy because it's always the blonde airhead, right? Then I decided it was Jake (OMG I WAS SO CLOSE, THOUGH, RIGHT?). I went a long time thinking it was Maeve, which would have been a great plot twist, imo. The first time Maeve talked about Simon's preoccupation with school shooters, though, I decided he did it himself and framed them all.

That romantic subplot got me right in the feels, anyone else? It was such a well-written, slow build! Then it just absolutely broke my heart when Nate shunned Bronwyn. Very cute ending.

I, too, was super impressed with the author's ability to turn Addy into a very three dimensional and interesting character after starting out very cookie cutter. I think a lot of characters had very cool development as well, such as Cooper after being non-consensually outed. I'm not used to seeing so much depth from a YA novel.

Karen likes this.
  7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Overall, I absolutely agree!

[white]I cannot help myself, I have to say that BEING outed is never consensual. It is never ok for someone to out someone else. Whether they "mean well" (cringe) or not. It's just not.
    I am sure you didn't mean anything wrong by this, but since this is a personal thing for me, I like to educate were I can.[
    [/white]

michelepixels and Karen like this.
  8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

@berniek you're absolutely right, just illogical wording on my part, sorry.

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I read this shortly after BearTown which is not a YA book. I think I might have enjoyed it more if the books had been 6mo to a year apart. But it definitely made me glad I'm not a parent of a teen right now nor a teen!

MrsEm likes this.
  10. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

ooooh ohhhh. This was a good one!

11. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I actually guessed this one right away..not exactly sure why, but it came to me early on.

MrsEm and Karen like this.
  12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Just delivered to my inbox last night.

MrsEm, FarrahJobling and Karen like this.
  13. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Now I am ALL turned around!! Not only did I read this and I'm starting The Last Time I Lied but in between the two I read Sometimes I Lie! :dizzy This has gone too far! :giggle

michelepixels likes this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:lol "The Year We Read A Lot About Lying"

MrsEm likes this.