Birthdays | pad patter 10.16.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 16, 2018.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

It's that time of year from now til March, when our family starts having birthdays. My son's was this past weekend and mine is coming up this weekend. Last weekend, we went down to Provo to take my son out to lunch for his birthday. He had to work in the morning and didn't want to miss the football game that evening.

While I love celebrating my children's birthdays, I don't enjoy celebrating mine. Maybe it's because I'm getting old (gonna be 47) and I don't know how to have fun anymore.

[​IMG]

I wanted to go to Disneyland for my birthday and Fall Break, but Hubby won't take us. He wants to wait for Star Wars Land to open, but he does want to do something special for my birthday. Maybe go up to Park City or do something fun around here. Problem is that DD 18 is coming home from college for Fall Break and I don't want to miss seeing her, but I guess we could go to dinner as a family one night and then she could watch DD 12 so we could do a weekend without the kids.

What to do, what to do? I don't know what I want to do, hence the I don't know how to have fun anymore comment... hehe What do you do to celebrate birthdays? If you could do something special for your birthday, what would you do?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This year for our Birthday Kayla we did an overnight at the local winery. It is about an hour away but after drinking wine who wants to drive right? The local winery has a food and wine package with a wine tour, a wonderful european style room and a 3 course top of the line meal with a complimentary bottle of wine with dinner. We spend the whole day and overnight and have a wonderful time. My Birthday is the beginning of September and Hubby's BD is end of October so we went the last weekend in September. It was fantastic.

I hope whatever your family does to celebrate you will be wonderful!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Last year, for my 40th, we went to Universal Studios Hollywood. It was fantastic! This year, I dragged the kids to the Dutch Festival in San Francisco. I got my favorite cake, Strawberry Boston Cream. DH does not celebrate his birthday. He just wants a turkey sandwich from the local deli & I insist on cake for everyone's birthday. Both boys had their 5th birthdays at Disneyland. Jamie just had his 8th birthday at Legoland cuz we had free passes. Normally the boys want Chuck E. Cheese's. We just go with whatever we feel like at the time. Again, the only thing mandatory is cake!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love, love, love birthdays.

On my side of the family, EVERYONE gets a birthday party with cake & gifts. For adults, this happens the closest Thursday to your birthday as that's our weekly family dinner. We have the kids' birthday parties on the weekend so that my ILs can drive up & be part of the fun, too.

My birthday 'gift' from my husband & kids for the past couple of years has been for him to take them out of town so I get to be by myself! Last year my mom & I went to an all-day crop a couple of hours from here. Since my birthday is at the end of MOC, this is super helpful for me! I think I got 9 pages done that day.

I will be 40 in 2020, and I am already working on plans to celebrate! Since it is always cold & snowy on my birthday, I might go on a cruise with some GFs! We shall see.

keepscrappin and BevG like this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

We usually let the birthday person pick a place to go out to dinner, our treat. We try to go to a place that we've never been to before. Sometimes we like it, sometimes we don't.

Hubby's birthday is April 9th and we already know where we will be then - We have tickets to the practice rounds of The Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta, GA on that date. The funny thing is that we have tried and tried to get tickets for that tournament every year. We used to get them all the time and my BFF lives there, so they go with us. We haven't gone since 2004, so we never thought we'd get tickets again. We booked a condo at our favorite beach for 2 weeks and then we got the notice that we have tickets. So instead of driving from Pittsburgh to Augusta we will be leaving our vacation condo and driving from Siesta Key, FL to Augusta for a couple of days, saving 100 miles off the trip.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Haven't really celebrated my birthday for years. I was usually working long hours for my company's fiscal year end and Dad was in NC. I would get a phone call from him in the evening if he remembered.

This year 2 cousins from FL were in town. They summer on Mackinac Island and are residents of Naples FL. They always stop on their drive in the spring and fall. This year they came thru early and were here on my birthday which also happened to be the day of the annual Rotary Club Pancake Day. I was going there anyways since it is a fundraiser for scholarships and they chose to come with me. So Vicky and I spent the afternoon with Sandra and Debra.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

How awesome that you are going to The Masters!! I've always wanted to go. My ex-brother-in-law and my niece live right on the waterfront in Siesta Key.

I never want to do anything for my birthday, neither does my hubby. The kids and grandkids call us and that's all we need/want. :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

For hubby and I, we usually just do dinner out as a family. Nothing fancy schmancy.

For the kids, we usually will do dinner on their actual birthday. Instead of parties (way too stressful), we'll let them pick a few friends and do something fun. Mattie just wanted to shop with me so that's what we did. For Cole, we took him and his twin besties to the movies, a go-kart place and dinner.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

We have adult kids. What we do is usually dinner and an activity along with presents and dessert. Birthday person gets to choose a restaurant and occasionally it's Mom's Diner. They also get to pick an activity, usually a movie at the theater but sometimes it's a dvd or it's games. Dessert varies - sometimes cake, sometimes pie, sometimes cookies and ice cream. It's just nice to have us all together including our son-in-law and my son's girlfriend.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

we celebrate the kids birthdays (they're still young - 11 and just turned 14). But DH and I really don't make a big deal about ours. It's too much effort, lol. Everything in our lives happens between October 2nd and Feb 12. All birthdays, anniversaries, major holidays, etc. so we just give hugs and sing and do a cake or something small for DH and me. we don't even do presents!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If I could pick anything for my birthday it would be travel of some kind because I’ve done very little of that and really want to see more of the world.

This year for my birthday, November 22, I’m going to cook a huge turkey feast. Maybe I’ll put candles in the pumpkin pie. :P

And 47 is not old. That’s how old I’ll be next month and I don’t feel old at all!:fairydance

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  12. djp332

We’re moving to Sarasota sometime next year. I plan on being on that beach as much as possible!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We just had a big party for my grandson's 2nd birthday, but for most everyone else it's dinner out and then someone's house for cake and presents. My son's gf did a surprise party for him last year and it was a hoot, but mostly the parties for the littles. My birthday is coming up in about 2 1/2 weeks and I'll be 53, so 47 is not old at all! Even I'm still young :) It's on a Saturday this year, but for the most part I prefer just a quiet birthday. Honestly, my days are so full and busy that perfect to me would be doing absolutely nothing, but I can't get that past my mother who thinks we must celebrate no matter what haha. In my dream world, I'd get some time away alone and not have to worry about coming back to twice the work at home :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

This year my birthday falls one of the weekends we are traveling for a hockey tournament. I'm going to try to convince myself we are in Butte, Montana for my birthday weekend instead! ;) I'll probably just get to pick what restaurant we go to! lol! We typically don't make a big fuss for our birthdays- but with hubby's on December 31st- seems like we always throw him a birthday/NYE party. For the kids we kinda alternate years where they can have a big party vs small, few friends for cake sorta thing.

Both hubby & I's bdays are in December (plus Christmas) makes that one pretty rough, and then we have the month of Birthdays in March- My mom, stepmom, little brother & BOTH my kids all have March bdays!!! :hairpol

Otherwise, I have zero input on what you should do- as my fun only revolves around my kids' social calendars! :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

I'm not that far from Sarasota! I live in Ft. Myers.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Happy birthday, Kayla! :) Your gif made me giggle! I wouldn't say I've forgotten how to have fun, but at the same time, I don't exactly enjoy having fun the way "the young people" do. Nowadays I'm just happy to have a nap and a nice dinner, in that order. :giggle DH always makes sure we have a meal I love (which, in all honesty, isn't all that different than any other day).

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. djp332

We usually fly into Ft. Myers. We love stopping at the Ford/Edison estates or to the Everglades before heading on up to SK.

keepscrappin and Cherylndesigns like this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

For our kids' birthdays we usually just do a family part & invite cousins and Aunts, Uncles and Grandparents over for cake, ice cream, and presents. For 13 & 16 we've been doing something bigger. My daughter had a sleepover & did a ropes course with friends for her 16th. We also let the kids pick out a fave restaurant and we all go out to eat.

For my hubby and I we usually just go out to eat with the kiddos & they buy little gifts for us. It was my hubby's 40th birthday this year. I had a big party for him at our house with lots of friends and family.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

I love the Edison Home! It's magical at Christmas!

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My husband hates eating dinner out (in a restaurant - it's so annoying!) - so I'll cook something special or we'll do take out and then we just have a nice dessert - the birthday person gets to pick everything. That's really it, we do not make a big deal usually.

keepscrappin likes this.