Old Skool* | Pad Patter 9.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Sep 21, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Is there anything considered 'old school' these days that you can't let go of and stick with?

For adding up receipts and really anything where there's several numbers, I still use a proper calculator - same model i had in school. I don't trust my phone with maths, and I know a lot of people just use their phone for everything now a days because it's been pointed out to me- several times now.
    Logically I know it's using the same digital brain/program/ mystical inner workings as my old school calculator to work it out so it's just one of my quirks and a user issue! (Tappy nails on the flat screen is not my favourite sound).
    I also don't particularly trust my own brain with maths either but usually after checking the answer on the calculator a couple of times, 'long list addition' on a notepad becomes the decider if I get discrepancies, but not my phone calculator; (so it would appear my brain is still more trustworthy to me than my phone).

*apologies to anyone disturbed by poor grammar and spelling for the title of this post

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol I still use my old school calculator when I'm doing our monthly budget! :) Just habit more than anything I guess!

Our office manager at work still has a typewriter that she types up the labels for our patient's charts! HA! When my kids were in a few months ago for me to clean their teeth- my daughter had NO clue what the typewriter even was! She loved it lol!

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Well, the problem is I don't know what's "old skool" cuz I'm too old to know what the young people are doing that's "new skool." :giggle

I still like to read a book (vs reading on a tablet or my phone). I have a Kindle Fire (actually, I have a Kindle Fire 8 and 2 Kindle Fire HD10s), but I'd still rather read a paper copy. I use the Kindles for watching TV while I do laundry or scrap.

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I guess they're old school now, but I can't part with my music CD's. I have streaming music on all of my devices and I've burned almost all of them to iTunes, but just can't part with the originals. I have some pretty old ones, too. They're all in those big cases with the slots.

I could kick myself for not keeping my vinyl records. I lugged those around in all our moves from state to state and finally decided to let them go. I hadn't had a turntable for years and years and now turntables are popular again. UGH. Oh well, my hubby reminded me that they probably wouldn't be very pristine by now. I did keep Marvin Gaye Anthology - the one with the 3 record collection and the book in it. I kept a few others, too. Still, I wish I hadn't let the rest go. :(

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

My daddy would have loved your album collection then. He still has his and is a collector of them. He has been instructed to gift them to me in his will, LOL, I definitely want the vinyl.

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

For me it’s real books, never really got into the Ebook thing except for at university. The only reason I went to e-resources there was probably 75% of the resources I needed weren’t available as books or they were too out of date.

The other thing is....cash. While I do have an eftpos card and visa debit card, apart from online purchases I stick with cash.

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I read via paper especially at night so I don't go to bed after an hour or two of the blue light.

I also iron mostly pillowcases but also my cotton blouses. My daughter in law irons sheets (!) and her eldest child - my grandson - got so used to it he now does it himself.

bellbird likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to talk on my iphone rather than text, especially if I need to explain something. If it's going to be more than a few words, I call rather than text. I know, i know... old skool! hehe

I also prefer to read from a paper book than from a screen.

oh and I still like to get paper bill statements in the mail versus email statements. Paper bills are right there in my face so I don't forget to pay the ones that I can't put on auto payment, otherwise they'd get lost in my email and I'd forget to pay them. I also like to get my bank statements in the mail. I don't know why just want to have proof that I really have that much money in the bank in case there's an EMP and all electronic data gets wiped out... conspiracy theorists unite... hehe

bellbird likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

You know, sometimes you make a decision and then you regret it. We were moving once again many states away and I was just exhausted. We moved so many times and this time, we had a huge moving sale, trying to get rid of whatever we could. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Have I regretted it? Absolutely!! Enjoy your dad's vinyl collection! We did inherit Dad's original Glenn Miller collection, however. Those aren't vinyl - that's how old they are.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Being an accountant, I used a desk calculator all the time. I have always had one on my desk at home as well. Still use it.

I also still have my music CD's. I have digitized a lot of my favorite songs as well. I listened to them in my previous vehicle all the time. It was a 2001 model that I sold in 2016. No SiriusXM in it, just radio and CD player. Honestly, I miss that vehicle since it was a Blazer SUV and I could haul lots of stuff! Back to the CD's, I don't have a CD player except for the computer but I won't get rid of them. I also have all my vinyl albums from years ago. Heck, I even have some from Mom & Dad's collection (Rusty Warren "Knockers Up" is a classic). I still had a turntable but the speakers didn't work so it went out in the dumpster last month. Also, I got rid of some old 78 records Mom had in a corner in the basement... I sat them down and they cracked into pieces they were so brittle. Good thing they went into the dumpster. I want to get one of the old fashioned looking units available that will play multiple formats like this --> http://www.crosleyradio.com/turntables/product-details?productkey=CR42D&model=CR42D-PA

bellbird likes this.
  11. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Oh yeah, I totally understand. We've moved a lot, and many different states, I'd probably made the same decision, I hate moving all that stuff.

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

There was a record store in CA that was called Licorice Pizza. Loved that name.

I still have DVDs, CDs, books, and even cassette tapes. I can't handle reading on a tablet - you can't cuddle up with a tablet! My DH & I still have most of our record collection, too. I love listening to them that way, and you can get amazing LPs from Salvation Army for cheap! I recently picked up an old John Denver LP that I didn't have, and it cost me a grand total of $0.75. @HavaDrPepper We have a Crosley turntable combo and I love it. We don't get wonderful sound from it (it's an older one) but it's nice and compact with a turntable, 3-CD changer, tuner and cassette deck.

I remember seeing an interview with George Harrison of the Beatles about how CDs were too "clean" of a sound. He much preferred the static, etc., that you get from listening to an LP. While I do love the clean sound of CDs, I agree.

I heard that 8-tracks are coming back into vogue. amazing! I never liked those because they sometimes split songs in half.

bellbird likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

The one thing that comes to mind is that I still watch actual live tv part of the time. My kids do not... everything is watched from Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube or one of the channel apps. I do watch things on Netflix and such, but I still like regular tv for background noise.

My husband still likes to watch the news at 10pm, but I've given that up. With all of the local news apps, websites and Facebook pages, I've heard it all before the broadcast rolls around.

bellbird likes this.
  14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I LOVE the hisses and pops of old vinyl! My parents cleaned out my grandmother's house a couple years ago and I asked for all of her Christmas albums. I love listening to them, but I didn't realize how "clean" today's vinyl is compared to the old stuff. Our new Christmas albums have almost no static... I didn't notice it until we added the old ones into the mix.

bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We still have our records from high school and college. I have an old Cars album that used to skip in the same place every time. Now on a much, much newer turn table it does not skip at all. Sounds so weird to not hear the skip. I guess the technology has improved to handle defects better.

BTW - they sell turntables you can hook to a computer for making digital versions of them. You can then burn them to CD, upload, etc. A time consuming project at best.

bellbird likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I still have all my CD's, cases of cassettes, vinyl albums, and 45 records. I just cannot part with them for some reason. I bought my oldest son a turntable for Christmas a couple of years ago and I'd love to have one again as well :)

For me, and I know I've said it before, I still write checks at stores. Mostly for groceries, but sometimes other things as well. I don't own a debit card and never have. Paying with a check at WalMart and some other places is just as easy as using a card. Just hand them the blank check, it runs through the machine, and there's the receipt. But here's the story behind my dislike of debit cards... When I was married to my first husband, we had ATM cards (before debit cards were a thing). He would get cash and then forget to tell me so that I could reconcile the bank statement, so at the end of the month there would be $200 or more in withdrawals that I had no idea about. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, that can mean being overdrawn really easily and we were a couple of times. I sat him down and cut them both up in front of him. I had a bad taste in my mouth for them for a long time. Also, debit cards are too easy to use lol. I know myself and DH well enough to know that if we had them we would spend more money...plain and simple. Being restricted to cash or checks helps me control spending because I can't make random stops for stuff we really don't need. We do each have a credit card and use them for things that just come up or if we want a quick bite to eat or gas or something random. I pay them off at the end of the month and earn points. One of these days, I may have to give in, but for now I'm still good with checks and even the eye rolls I get :giggle.

bellbird likes this.
  17. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I prefer old-fashioned books, can't get into reading via a Kindle or on-line. DH is a big-time vinyl collector @Cherylndesigns. He has multiple turntables, some are vintage, some are not. His last count approximately 4,000 albums. And there are numerous studies about analog versus digital sound. Analog calms, digital does not.

bellbird likes this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I know this isn't something you can still do but my hubby and I were reminiscing about Movie Gallery/Blockbuster type places where you could go and pick out a movie to rent. Now there is no need with Redbox, Netflix, Amazon, etc... We were talking about how we missed that....our kids have no clue!

I do prefer real books. I tried reading a book on the kindle once. That was it.

bellbird likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

That's so interesting, Marilyn, about the analog vs digital. Wow, 4000 albums??? That's quite the collection! I don't feel so bad now, I only had about 25 or so. His turntables are probably all immaculate, too. That's awesome!!

mcurtt likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Wow, you still have your 45's? I'm really impressed!! I had tons and tons of those. We kept them in their little paper covers but we carried them around with us everyplace we went. We never left home without them. I'll never forget the time we (whole family) went on a car trip and my sister left all of hers in the car (it was summertime) and they all warped so badly that they were ruined. She cried for days.

bellbird likes this.