Self Check Out Lanes

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Sokee, Sep 15, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I like them overall, mostly because one grocery store has horrible clerks, and the other nearby store usually has 1 checkout with 6+carts in line. I do refuse to use them at fast food places (is it only Mcdonalds so far?) although I've been tempted to see if it's the cashier that messes up my order or the cooks. Of course, I'd have to go there....

I do hate that my reusable bags always set off the unexpected item in the bagging area. So if an employee isn't near, I just pile my stuff on the bag scale, and then while it processes the receipt load my groceries into my bags in the cart. If I have too many groceries for that, then I say "Skip bagging" on everything. Which means security or another employee has to come check my receipt. Sigh.

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We don't have them in South Africa.
    Too much theft I imagine. But also with 11 official languages, just finding the button to make everything your language would take time.

Christina W and bestcee like this.
  3. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes, I use them a lot!
    I usually shop with a selfscanner in hand and bag my groceries as I go. But then I am alone and never use a cart, just the baskets (or now: my bags). It is so much easier and faster for me now! Because I don't have to load it in a bag/basket, and then put it on the registry belt, and then bag it all over again. (yes, in EU groceries this isn't a thing the store does) It's annoying and I hate the rushed feeling I get when I have to bag my stuff at the registry.
    We still have people working on the couple of self check outs to help out. And there is always at least 1 normal check out open, usually much more.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  4. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

I also have love/hate with self checkout.

But here's the reality for many stores: at the corporate level, there are operational cost targets that stores are expected to hit. It's rarely ever the store at a local level that has any ability to influence whether the cashiers get to stay vs. self-checkouts. The investment the company makes in self checkouts is done at a corporate level with expectation that it will deliver x% cost savings at a store level, and that becomes the savings the store is expected to attain. I don't envy the store managers, for sure. :( I used to work on the corporate side of major national retailer.

Our local HEB (It's a local grocery chain here in Texas that is super awesome and loved by all!) recently updated their self checkouts and the new systems work really well. They also still have a full load of regular checkouts open too (the store is always very busy) So it's the best of both worlds - self checkout has at least doubled the capacity for express/small orders. But we still have enough friendly faces for larger orders.

bestcee likes this.
  5. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I like self-checkout when I don’t have a ton of stuff (and the kids love to help.) But for a full cart I definitely want a real, human cashier.

A couple years ago I was at a self-checkout and kept getting the “unexpected item in bagging area” error message. My kids weren’t with me so I knew they weren’t leaning on it. I shifted things around a few times, wondering what the problem could be, then looked down and realized it was me. My 7-month pregnant belly was just the right “height” to rest on the bagging scale!:giggle

bestcee and Beckie like this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

So you take a scanner around the store with you and scan as you go? That's actually brilliant if that's how it works where you are!

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never use them.

Wal-Mart has both self-serve checkouts and regular checkouts. I go to the regular checkouts all the time. It is funny because several of the checkout clerks usually have long lines but they go the fastest. They are very good at their job and friendly at the same time. I don't mind waiting to have them check me out.

Local small grocery does not even have self-serve checkouts. So whenever I go there I have personal interaction and get this... a couple weeks ago they asked me if I would like for someone to help me take the stuff to my car. It was raining as well! I said yes, I would very much appreciate that as I was recovering from surgery... I must have looked really bad! They don't always have people do carry outs but will if needed.

And, I'm in such a small town we do not have the order your groceries online and pickup option! Of course, we don't have a grocery chain in town that does that.

8. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

i LOVVE LOVE LOVE self check out and even better is the scan and go app for Sam's. I wish every store did that!

9. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes, that's exactly how it works! It's super easy, and it even displays sales such as 2 for 1 when you scan the item.

carrie1977 likes this.
  10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

That's really cool!

11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I never use them even if I only have 2 items. I will always have an issue so if I have a small amt of items I go to the 20 and under or 10 and under line or I will wait regardless. My hubby always like to use self check out if he only has a few items at Home depot or walmart, but me, I will wait on the line!

12. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I love this thread! Self checkout lanes are really only practical with a couple of items. When I checkout at Walmart with a full cart of groceries, the last thing I want to do is use self checkout. I was forced to do it once, when none of the regular registers were open and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That little tiny area they give you to work with just doesn't work for large purchases!!! Now if they want to give me a carousel to work with like their checkers have, I might consider be happier, but it's still going to take me longer since I don't do it everyday like they do. Isn't my time important too?

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is so funny!!!

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My hubs and I refuse to use them. Our local Safeway did this a few yrs ago and many employees were let go, some of them after more than 10 yrs of employment there.

Christina W likes this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I'll use them if I have just a few things & no coupons or anything- but that's pretty rare. I try to be a good shopper & use as much coupons as I can- which is a huge pain in the self checkouts.

Sidenote- I actually like to say hello to the checkstand person & look them in the eyes! It's crazy how many people dont even look at them. So annoying to me. lol!

honeyandcheese likes this.
  16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I make the week grocery run on Mondays and the weekend grocery run on Fridays. I tend to use cashier check-out for those. The Walmart bags are so thin that I have a really hard time separating them from one another to put my items in. The more I struggle, the more my brain shuts down & my cheeks redden -- it's quite the sight!

Any other time I will use self check-out.

17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I only like the self checkout lanes at Sam's club. Everywhere else I wait in line unless, I'm only getting a couple of things.

18. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I use self-checkouts wherever possible - partly because I'm an introvert and partly because I find it quicker, especially when I have DS with me.

19. bestcee

It's starting to come to America! Seriously, I got to use them at a East Coast chain Stop N' Shop back in 2011-2013. Sam's Club has them, maybe nationwide? And I saw them being put in at another chain, just can't remember which one.

carrie1977 likes this.
  20. bestcee

Randomly, I thought about this thread yesterday. DH went to the store that I didn't name above. He came home and asked me if the cashiers were always that mean and rude? I giggled, and said yes. Then thought of this.
    The cashier was actually rudely talking about him as though he wasn't there to the other cashier! Sigh.