PSE 2018 - who has it?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Jazz2000, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jazz2000

Jazz2000 Active Member

and how is it? I still use PSE13 and I'm happy with it. Except now, it's freezing up. And when I try to open it, I get Adobe's ad stating pse2018 is on sale for $60. is that a good price? Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons about it?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't, I have 14. But.
    PSE 2018 has some newer features because it's 4 versions newer (Pse14, Pse15, Pse 2018) than PSE13. https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buying-guide.html

However. It's August. Usually, the new PSE releases in September. And there's usually a good sale on it between release and Black Friday. Or, if you have a Costco/Sam's Club/ sometimes Amazon, you can usually find it there around $50 or lower in the next few months. So, if you are willing to wait, you could get the newest version for a similar price.

With PSE, I usually upgrade if there's a huge change ( like 10-11 with actions, etc) or every 3-4 years with minimal changes.

cfile likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I am still using PSE15 and may get whatever comes out in the fall. As Courtney says, it def goes on sale for ~$50. near Black Friday or Thanksgiving but if you want to get 2018 now, $60 is a good price. I may only upgrade myself just so I can have a hard copy of something in case I let my PS/LR CC go. Right now I only use the LR on a regular basis but dabble in PSCC. There is nothing like have a hard piece of software imho.

eta: Pse15 now has a glitch where you can't go to File, Open Recently Edited File. That means sometimes I have to do a search to find a layout I've been working on. Since Adobe upgraded to 2018, they aren't planning to fix it. Also as I have a Mac with an older Operating System, the newer versions won't work on my computer. I also do plan to retire this iMac before I buy new software.

cfile likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have 2018. It's worth it, I think.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

besides PS CC i have PSE 15 and pretty much can do a lot on PSE15. I think the girls that use PSE exclusively have given you some great ideas, but if you can hold out until the new release as you may get a better bargain.

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@cfile Christa, do you have that glitch on your PSE15? "glitch where you can't go to File, Open Recently Edited File" Mine doesn't clear the old files anymore and is stuck on a list from about a year ago. I'd reinstall PSE15 if I didn't think I'd go to 2018 soon. :(

Jazz2000 and cfile like this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Maureen, I just tested it.. I saved my psd and then closed the psd file. I then went to File> Open> Recently Edited and the file I just saved as a psd was there...

I don't use it often (PSE15) so the last saved file was march and april that I was seeing in the recently edited which is why I had to make a quick psd now to check it for you... it works for me with no glitches.

8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have it but this is my first version of PSE. It was $49 on the Black Friday sale, but I have seen special prices since then. It works well - no glitches that I know of.

bestcee likes this.
  9. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

So, I'm still on PSE 11 and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade! I have some questions about PSE 18 and I'd be grateful if someone had some time to answer them!

When you bought PSE 18, did you buy a new hard copy? Or did you buy the software directly from the Adobe website?

If you bought from the Adobe website, did you buy it new or "upgrade" your license?

I have a hard copy of PSE 11. Would I be able to upgrade to PSE 18, or would I have to buy it outright? (I still have the box and serial number for PSE 11.)

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Jazz2000 likes this.
  10. bestcee

@MelanieB I haven't bought PSE18, but when I buy PSE I don't buy it from Adobe. I have found a better price at Costco/Amazon than the Adobe upgrade price.
    I've bought both a hard copy (Costco), and a digital copy (Amazon). If there was no difference in price, I'd do the digital copy. I usually download the program from Adobe's site to save myself the updates installing afterwards. Then I add the serial number from my purchase.
    The upgrade price is available on Adobe's site. For me, I bought PSE14, and it's showing an upgrade price of $79.99. Yours may be different.

Jazz2000 and MelanieB like this.
  11. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Thanks, Courtney! I appreciate it. When I first bought PSE I bought a hard copy from Amazon and paid full price because I didn't know any better. I'll wait until the Black Friday sales to see if I can get a good price on a digital copy. The upgrade is the same price for me. I still have to pay US$ on the Adobe website. :heartlub

bestcee likes this.
  12. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I have it and I have not noticed much in way of new features. However...I don't know if it is a computer issue (running it on a Surface Pro 4 (which I do NOT recommend, switching over to a new laptop as we speak)), or a PSE issue...if I do things too quickly, it shuts down. I have just learned to go a little slower and to save my work often!

13. Jazz2000

Jazz2000 Active Member

Mine is doing exactly there. Actually, it freezes and "stops responding" message appears. I have to closed my computer and then search for the file I was working on. The file I was working on does not show in the Open Recently Edited File function. it shows files I worked on months ago - not even the files I worked on last week. very odd.

My PSE 13 is a Costco version.

14. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I have PSE15 that I got on Amazon when it was $35, I think Cheryl got it too. I went from 13 to 15 & it is better. Now when I did the trial of 18, I just didn't see enough difference to go through with buying it. That's just my opinion.

15. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I haven't read the other responses yet - but I recommend buying it! I was in the exact same boat, using PSE 13 and then I found PSE 2018 on sale so I got it. I've found very little difference and have been happy with the switch!

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

I haven't had that problem. I run it on a laptop with 16 GB Ram, or my desktop which is a beast.