How do you remember to use your new kits?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by BevG, Sep 8, 2018.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I know this question has come up before, but how do you remember to use a new kit? I buy these cool kits and then I forget I have them. I am a chronological scrapper so maybe that is my problem, by the time I get to the summer photos, I forget that I bought some when it was summer.

So tell me your secrets, preferably one that doesn't require a lot of shuffling around of files - or the creation of a huge spreadsheet for the 100s of kits I have.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

My simple answer: I put anything new on my desktop (in a folder if needed :giggle ) until I use it at least once. Then it goes to my EHD, tagged and filed by theme so it'll be easy to find when doing something specific.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is basically I do. I have a file for new kits. I don't move them until I use them.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have a need to use folder in my Lily Pad folder. I also have that month's BYOC folder and another that is Challenges. I download all the templates for the designer challenges. I like to have everything in my NEED to USE folder. Once I use the template, I put an X in front of it. so it goes to the bottom when I do file.
    I file all my BYOC by month/year. I file my used kits at the end of the month (before the new BYOC).

5. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

As a Polly I have several folders set up for CT work. New files are put into the appropriate folder (BYOC, FF new releases and SOSN etc). After working with them I move them out and into the designers' own main folder.
    New files folder structure.jpg

For non-CT kits I just have a folder called 1- NEW FILES for every designer where I pop any new kits into, and then move them out when I have used them at least once. I put numbers in front of the main folders to keep them in the order I want. I am on a PC.

I was an IT trainer for many years and used to train office/field workers on not only new programs but also on how to organise their files so they could find things easily. My CT file structure came from that, totally OCD! :giggle

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

You could make shortcuts for new iitems to keep in a "NEW KITS" folder. That way you can keep your kits where you like them to be--you just create a shortcut to put in the NEW KITS folder and then delete it after you've used the kit. Easy peasy.

Having said that...my Excel spreadsheet has helped me countless times. I'm not telling you to go through ALL your existing kits to start one (I did read your post Bev, I swear lol ), but maybe you could create a spreadsheet to record your purchases going forward. No back cataloging stuff--just anything you buy after reading this post. Or go back, but don't yell at me about the idea!

Or create a Pinterest board with your purchased items. (Again, don't spend 2 weeks going through your previous purchases: just record new purchases going forward.) It could be a nice visual to help jog your memory before starting a page.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    gonewiththewind and amien1 like this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I make a TBUS folder TO BE USED SOON. LOL!!!!

8. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

In my TLP kits folder, I have a "used" subfolder. I put there all kits I've used at least once. Right now I have 27 unused full kits, and 25 unused element packs... I NEED MORE MONTHLY CHALLENGES! :)

Dalis and Karen like this.
  9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't. I sort the kits pretty soon after I buy them in their proper folder (I am an avid tagger and neat freak when it comes to kit organization) and forget about them. If I need a certain topic I'll find it with my tags. I have kits that I bought a long time ago and have never used so far. They will be used when their time comes, :)

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I just keep them in my download file to use... once I have used them I then file them. It is easier for me that way. [When it is BYOC I wait until after the week is over then I file everything I have used.]

11. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Minus the tagging....I just buy and scrap. I have old kits I haven't used and new kits I've used multiple times. Sorry I'm no help.lol

Rikki likes this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I simply only buy a kit if I know I'm likely to use it in the next few weeks, otherwise I leave it in the store until I need it. Unless it's a theme I know I don't have, will definitely use for a project later and it's a bargain. In that case I'd put a shortcut to it in the folder with the relevant photos.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@Treecity and others -- I like the shortcut idea - I was thinking maybe a copy of the kit preview would work too.

@Angela Toucan -- I like the idea of putting something (kit preview?) with the photos. So often something on my wishlist will appear on SOSN, so I can't pass up a good deal, but it could me months before I get to use it. This would help...

14. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I do 2 things. First, newer kits stay in my download folder and periodically I move the ones I've used to my regular kit folder. Second, I organize previews a little. For example, I have a folder for seasonal kits (all 4 seasons), one for birthday kits, and one for school kits. When I'm ready to move a kit from my download folder to my kit folder, I first put a copy of the preview into any relevant folders. That way when I have a very summery pool photo to scrap, I can quickly look through all my summer kits. I don't have folders for everything, just broad topics that I have a lot of kits for and that are hard to search for. I also put kit previews with To Scrap photos and include a note about whether I own the kit or need to buy it.

15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am on CT's so I have a To do folder with each designer and once I have used them, scrapped and uploaded to the galleries I move that to the designer place within the store folder.
    So yes, I also have new stuff that I have bought and never used.
    But as scrapping and shopping for scrapbooking supplies are my two favourite hobbies, I just enjoy them both.

BevG and Angela Toucan like this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do what a lot of others have said, I download to a folder and then once I've used the product it gets moved to it's real home.

Also, I keep a running excel spreadsheet of the things that I want to scrap, if I buy a kit with a specific page in mind, but I know I'm not going to scrap it right away, I'll just note the kit I want to use in my spreadsheet. I've been know to create a folder for a page I want to make and create a link to the kit inside that folder too.

BevG likes this.
  17. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

This is exactly what I do for the kits that I've purchased & are not CT (those are in different folders.) I learned a long time ago that if I file them how I like them, they EASILY get forgotten! ;) The shortcut keeps my OCD brain happy, but also helps me remember I need to use it! Once I use those supplies, I just delete the shortcut (so it's already filed where I like it & saves that step!)

Tree City and BevG like this.
  18. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I keep my kits in a folder structure so I just sort the parent folder by Date Added if I want to see my newest purchases. It's simple, but it works.

19. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

That's a great idea! My kit folder is soooo big (not bragging: I just keep all kits in one main KITS folder. I don't break down according to designer or store or anything else) ... I wonder how long it would take for it to re-sort according to date added/date modified?

20. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

Ah, that's the beauty! Both the Mac and Windows PCs/laptops have the built-in capacity to sort by Date Added, Date Modified etc. You just add the column to the Finder or Windows Explorer.

Tree City likes this.