Sewing Machine TUNE-UP

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OK, anyone here does their own? The prices are getting ridiculous. $100 for a tune-up? So this is happening right now.!!!! YIKES!!!!! I really hope I can remember how to put everything back in it’s place!!!!!
    NOTE: I should mention I have had this machine for 20 years and I bought it used from a Janome official supplier and I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

DBBFD8FA-0EBB-4E0A-9760-7A4F58A0F17F.jpeg 0F485A30-B94A-4C3C-9221-0033CA009174.jpeg 0052FC21-A077-476C-9915-C79CF19FBFF6.jpeg

Rikki and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Good luck... let me know how it goes! Mine needs one too and haven't found a place I want to take it to yet. Are you doing it from a youtube video?

Dalis likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

You mean you are supposed to tune them up??? Mine is probably over 30 years old, but I have rarely used it in the past 15 years. A good oil here and there would probably do wonders for it.

4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

You need to oil them... which I am not good at doing. If you have an instructions book it should show the spots where you add some oil.
    @Dalis looks like you keep your machine free of dust which is good.

bellbird and Dalis like this.
  5. Dalis

NOPE! I am flying at the seat of my pants! I am using a PDF copy of what I think are my machine instructions to know where to oil it. It's an old machine and I can't find the instruction booklet. LOL!!!

bellbird likes this.
  6. Dalis

Can you believe you are supposed to do a tune-up ANUALY? AND.... listen to this.... You are supposed to oil them 3 times a YEAR if you use it frequently? WHO KNEW!

bellbird, BevG and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. Dalis

I wish I could say this picture was BEFORE I dusted it off!!!! LOL!!!!! There was quite some lint under the dog-feed. Not much else-where. I did find a few strands of thread that I think were messing up with the tensions.

8. Dalis

It is back together and it's not stitching PERFECTLY, but A LOT BETTER. There was a bit of thread that I couldn't get out. THAT LITTLE BRAT!!!!!!!

Of course hubby said, "well, at least it's not worse now!" LOL!!!!

bestcee, bellbird, Rikki and 4 others like this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had a nice littler Singer machine as my first one. It started acting up and they wanted MORE for the tune-up than the cost of the machine. I was shocked. The guy was like "Yeah, these entry-level machines aren't made to last and we charge by the hour." HOW MANY HOURS DOES IT TAKE TO ADD A LITTLE OIL AND LIKE MAYBE DUST IT?! Sorry I yelled. Anyway, I got a new machine but I don't sew very often. I'm not patient enough lol, but it does what I need it to do on the few occasions I use it. (And apparently it doesn't need oil? IDK. I should probably find the manual to double-check!)

Glad yours is at least working better now. On the plus side, you now have some info for the next time you want to give it a DIY tuneup!

11. Dalis

It's ridiculous, it's cheaper to buy a very simple machine that to get a tune-up for current machine. By the time your new machine needs a tune-up just toss it and get a new one. CRAZY!

bellbird and Tree City like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have a cheapo machine. And before that I had another cheap machine. I think I did just what you last said Dalis! LOL. Chucked it and bought a new one!

I have brought this current machine in a for tune-up/oil years ago. I am not very technically oriented - I remember it being around $40 so it was worth it to me. I only brought it in 1x. But $100 - nope I agree, that is crazy. My machine is sewing poorly too and I've been avoiding using it - maybe it's time for some TLC for mine too. I think I need to check out YouTube.

Dalis likes this.
  13. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Ok, I did my printer to get the print heads cleaned, but this looks SCARY!!!!!! You are a brave woman!!!

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Kind of like printers... Almost cheaper to get a new printer that comes with ink then to buy a set of ink. Well, for the low end printers it is.

bestcee, bellbird and Dalis like this.
  15. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Did you try compressed air like you would clean a computer keyboard with to get that lint out? It should definitely help! That a oiling a few times a year have kept my Brother machine going strong.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My machine looks a lot like yours... but probably is another 20 years older... :giggle I inherited it from my Mom when she decided she was never going to sew anymore. The first time I took it in to get cleaned it was JAMMED full of dust. I don't think my Mom ever cleaned it and they have wood heat only in their house, so lots of dust everywhere. Anyway it was $150 and I about died! I didn't think to ask how much BEFORE I left it with them. Ooops!

Glad yours is back together okay and working again. :)

17. Dalis

I heard that Brother's machines are good! I love this machine, it's someone's grandma's machine. I bought it used from a mom-&-pop store 20 years ago.

18. Dalis

It might be the same one of close, I bought mine USED 20 years ago from a mom-&-pop store. I remember them telling me that a grandkid had brought it to sell it since their grandma had died. So this is almost an antique. LOL!!!

Karen likes this.
  19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Nope. $100 is a bargain. Mine costs $125, but then my entire machine is computerized. I never even did mine when I was using my mom's 1952 Singer!

Good luck!

bellbird likes this.
  20. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

I only use mine occasionally. The one time I think I took it for a tune up was just a little local shop that my mom also uses. I don't remember it costing that much though.
    On a different note- love the Fiskateer scissors! I keep mine stashed so no one else in the family can use them except me; they're my favorite pair of scissors!