Roughing it | Pad Patter 8.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 17, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So DH is sick (it really hasn't been a good week here) and so I'm doing my version of roughing it by sleeping on the lounge tonight. Yep that's as close to a camp out as I get. I like real walls- cabins at the beach and hotels with multiple star ratings and not having to pack an entire house worth of stuff into the back of a car and then spend time setting it all up outdoors
    [​IMG]

What about you? Are you a bare necessities camper, 'glamper' or caravan-er? What's your idea of roughing it?

2. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I camp one weekend a year - Father's Day Weekend. We've been doing it for years and the fathers in our lives enjoy it. We sleep in tents, no bathrooms or showers, no toilets, etc. We do take cots to sleep on because bugs.

Matt will take Cole camping more often without Mattie and I. I'm ok with that. LOL!

Karen, Psychozoe and bellbird like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

very good reasoning and yep there is only one Bugs i can tolerate
    [​IMG]

Meredith78, jesskab, Karen and 2 others like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Roughing it is a Holiday Inn Express. I don't do wilderness. I barely tolerate our neighborhood: there's an alpaca farm down the road so it seems quite wild in the surrounding area! :giggle

I spent the night in my aunt and uncle's cabin as a bday gift to my DH soon after we were married. I was maybe 22. This is the place we always celebrated July 4 and otherwise hung out for summer celebrations when I was a kid but I'd never spent the night cuz we lived close enough to drive home at night. But I rented it for a little weekend getaway with some friends...and at night I cried because it was damp and I hated the humidity on my pillow. I couldn't sleep. It was the first and last time we went "glamping." And IDK if it's glamping or just normal "cottage on a lake"-ing ROFL!

Karen, amien1 and bellbird like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

there are a few alpacas near us too, like 2 mins in the car (along with a fair amount of cows and some horses and an ever growing amount of landclearing machinery with several estates starting to open up) and they're basically my fave thing to see on the way to or from home - i like that i can go home to sleep too without damp etc but they're still part of my daily life, it's like the best of both worlds; the wilderness is fine for like daytrips :)

Tree City likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I used to go camping fairly often, when I was little and in my first marriage. Not so much these days because my dh is not the outdoorsy type. I kind of miss it sometimes and have mentioned buying a camper on occasion. When I did go, we always stayed in tents and sleeping bags and I'm fine with it as long as it's only a couple of days. My dad used to camp a lot, but we'd tease him for always taking tvs, dvd players, all the comforts of home. This was before "glamping" was a thing. The only part I never really liked about it was all the stuff you have to pack and unpack, but overall I enjoy it for short periods of time and if there's a place I can get a hot shower, I'm ok for a little while longer lol.

bellbird likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

when I was younger my mum and I would go to state parks for a few nights but now I stay at probably 2-3 star places but to save money I have the shared bathroom option.

bellbird likes this.
  8. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

ooh, I love camping. I don't need fancy, i don't mind bugs, but I want a comfy bed!! we had a pop up camper for a few years and had so much fun with the kids going places. We just traded in our old mini van for a new truck so now we can tow a larger camper! My daughter plays competitive soccer and we're already planning out where we will camp when we have to travel for her games. there's nothing like sitting in a camp chair by a fire (eating s'mores, of course!)

Meredith78 and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Oh, I should add, I don't mind camping in a trailer. At least I'll have a bed and I can retreat inside at night when it gets cold or I need a break from the elements.

Most of our friends have camper trailers. If we would use one enough we would consider one for ourselves. Matt really wants an Airstream but they are expensive. He says they are made better and wouldn't want to buy one made from fiberglass.

10. Psychozoe

Psychozoe Well-Known Member

We go glamping a lot.. sometimes camping...sometimes to visit places.. .i gave up roughing it early in life :giggle

[​IMG]

Beckie and Karen like this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We love the outdoors- hiking, exploring, boating, etc- BUT we are not campers. We are hotel-ers :) I have 'camped' as in slept in a tent in the backyard with the kids & took a day to recover from the lack of sleep & sore back! ;)

12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

We will be "roughing it" next week in a 34' fifth-wheel with a microwave and fireplace. I don't sleep on the ground!! :giggle

bellbird, Karen and Psychozoe like this.
  13. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

We have an Avalanche too, although not quite this long!

Psychozoe likes this.
  14. Psychozoe

Psychozoe Well-Known Member

@mrs2a50 thats so awesome! ours has a fireplace too! its 40 ft... we bought ourselves out of a lot of good camping spots, but thats ok :agree

15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We are definitely campers in our family. We tent camp and the fanciest thing we have is a cot for each person. We've camped in the rain too many times to sleep directly on the ground. Otherwise, there is nothing glamorous about our camping and that's just the way I like it. We have camping tubs that we keep our supplies in, so when we want to go, we can just pull the tubs out and throw them in the truck. I do of course have to shop for food, but I also have easy camping meals down pretty well at this point, so I don't spend a zillion dollars for one weekend like we used to do. :)

16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Before I seem like a horrible person (probably too late for that lol), I too love alpaca and seeing them always makes me smile.

We also have lots of homes being built in this area, so maybe I should count my blessings: the animals on that farm are still *on that farm*. The owners haven't sold to a developer, so that's good.

bellbird likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn Express too!! I always tell people "I've never been camping and I never want to go again". LOL My DD just got what I call a "Glamper", but we just did a day visit - I had no desire to spend the night with 10+ people! Not my thing.

bellbird and Psychozoe like this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm like you - needs walls and most importantly running water actually in my space (within those walls). sorry to hear hubby isn't feeling well. Your smart to be "camping" out on the lounge. I hope you and kiddos escape the sickies!

bellbird likes this.
  19. lealawson

lealawson Well-Known Member

I love being at the lake and in the mountains - but I prefer a cabin or camper. There is just something about solid walls, and a bathroom of some sort. Lol!! :)

20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love camping!!! it means, they all go, and I stay home alone!

I grew up with hippie parents (very conservative, but lovers of camping) I have camped in snow, ice, wind and rain. In Alaska, Japan, most states and for looooooooooooooong periods of time.

Camping is for others, I saw this sign and it is my new camping excuse:
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, Meredith78, jesskab and 3 others like this.