August Accountability!! Put your goals here! GET Fit or FITTER

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 1, 2018.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I actually do a spiritual prayer and fasting every Monday. It has been for about a year. It helps me to press in with my prayers that day.
    When I started keto, i noticed the Monday's were easier. I had done 3 days with other friends a few times just to agree in prayer with them.
    I do intermittent fasting now. Eating from 2pm to 6pm. But find I'm not hungry later if I get my macros [calorie/protein/fat] right. That to me is the amazing part. I do not feel hungry.

2. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I left off but I've done five yoga practices and I've drank water for 3 days in a row. Not any certain amount, just more than none, which is how much I usually drink. Eeeek. My neuro issues have been really mild for the past week! I'm really excited that something I'm doing seems to be helping.

3. AnneofAlamo

I fell off exercise wagon! bad!
    but lost a pound~!!
    so ran and caught up today!!
    got 10 regulation sit ups ( I mean I looked good doing them) lol
    and 10 push ups, arms a bit shaky, but done
    did 2.5 miles on treadmill with 1.5 running (22:14 run time)! very very excited, as I did it with arms pumping and not holding onto treadmill ( a first)!!

water intake is high

and going to pool today for a mile (one hour 40 laps)
    big chicken salad on menu for lunch and nap this afternoon!

feels good to be back moving. Not a lot of scrapping done with heavy exercise, but getting under 200 is my goal for this month...and I am running out of month!

MrsEm and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

OMG - you look amazing! look at you in that avatar!!!! so proud of you!!! you give us all hope!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

thank you Jenn! It is 6 months of pure HARD work! I walk by a big window and freak! Who the heck is that!!?!
    bhwhahah
    I still have 38 more to go for my goal in Jan 2019! I am gonna be tiny when my newest granddaughter is born (jan 17)!

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love reading all of your progress reports! Anne, all I can say is "YOU GO GIRL"!!!

I'm doing my Callenetics and weight-bearing exercises (including a 1 to 2 minute plank) and walking at least a mile a day. I drink lots and lots of water, too.

I was feeling really good about my weight loss, until I went to the dr today. I weighed 4 pounds more there than I do on my scales. When I complained about it, the nurse said, "Oh, everybody weighs more here than they do at home". She said their scales weighed heavy and she has to re-calibrate them all day long. She said to keep going by my home scales. Still discouraging.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@Cherylndesigns YUP! I always weigh more at the DRs. I never go by that scale!!! Plus they weigh me with all clothes on except shoes. So there's that!

8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

It's why I love the dentist and optometrist. They never weigh me...at least so far! I avoid the doctor because the first thing they do is weigh me and tell me I have to eat less and exercise more (THAT myth has been busted by Dr. Fung and others). They will put on my gravestone: She should have gone to the doctor!)

9. Cherylndesigns

They don't allow anybody to take their shoes off where I go. That used to help out a little. They have signs at every scale in the medical facility we go to "for sanitary reasons, please keep your shoes on". AAARRRGH

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Shar - hang on about the dentist and optometrist. I had to go in for a thyroid ultrasound recently and they asked me how much I weighed. I was shocked! I've had several ultrasounds done and nobody ever asked me that before. I said "huh"??? She said, "I'm sorry, we have to ask now".

11. SharLamb

boooooo-hooooooo
    I wouldn't go on a scenic plane ride over Escalante (Southern Utah) because you had to be weighed. Same thing with zip-lining. I'd LOVE to try zip lining, but I'm not going through the humiliation!

12. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

Not doing so hot over here this week. Our schedule is so goofy, it is hard to get a good fasting schedule, so I have barely been hitting 14 hours most of the week. Some research says the shorter time is better for some women anyway- so let's hope that is true in my case. Exercise- fail. I need a routine. I was going to lots of classes at the gym, but they stopped the ones I loved. Body Sculpt, Zumba, and Step. I'm about 50% on vitamin and probiotic. I'm doing ok on water, but still could be better.

My main setback is a rash. I'm pretty sure I have keto rash, so I have upped my carbs a bit. Not crazy, but trying to eat more veggies, and I had some naan and hummus yesterday.

13. AnneofAlamo

I love exercise, because my big skin wobbles are going away! under my arms, I wear tank tops!
    I don't want my scale to be my enemy. I want to pop up on it and go!
    yes yes yes
    and my heart be beating healthy and be able to bend over and pick stuff off the floor,
    I vacuumed the whole house saturday morning (including back patio) and wasn't exhausted!

14. Cherylndesigns

You're killing me here. LOL You're WAY worse than me, Shar! I thought I was bad about getting weighed. I wouldn't do that either!!

SharLamb likes this.
  15. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

This. LOL. I need to tone up (yep, and lose weight). It seems like my skin started to wobble A LOT once I turned 58 in July!!

16. SharLamb

Debbie! Sorry! I missed your question when you first posted. I'll try to answer now:

If you just fast once in awhile, it doesn't have much impact on your health, although may be of spiritual benefit. For health, intermittent fasting is what we have been talking about.

For health benefits, I will just list some of the reasons given by Dr. Jason Fung (you can find lots about him by Googling his name):
    1. Weight loss and maintenance
    By training your body to burn fat for energy, intermittent fasting will tap into your body’s natural weight loss mechanisms. Plus, the simplicity of the plan means you’re much more likely to stick with it!
    2. Increased energy
    Unlike so many calorie restriction diets that can make you feel sluggish, the intermittent fasting schedule is designed to regulate your hormones so that you’re always easily accessing stored fat for energy. No more afternoon slumps!
    3. Increased mental clarity and focus
    Intermittent fasting has the ability to boost your brainpower because it increases your BDNF, which supports brain connectivity and new neuron growth.
    4. Better cognitive function
    The hormonal changes that occur when you follow intermittent fasting have actually been shown to provide protection against neuro-degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia.
    5. Regulated blood sugar and insulin levels
    The quickest and most efficient way to lower insulin levels is through fasting. While you’re in your fasting window, no new glucose is being supplied to your body, which means your body has no choice but to use up stored glucose.
    6. Lower cholesterol and blood pressure
    Intermittent fasting is an excellent prescription for heart health, because of its ability to decrease your liver’s production of cholesterol. Studies have shown that 70 days of alternate-day fasting can reduce LDL cholesterol by 25 percent.
    7. Reduced inflammation
    Your body relies on a process called “autophagy” to clear out old and damaged tissues and cells. When you fast and give your body a break from the constant effort of digesting food, it seems to be able to focus more energy on repair, which means alleviating inflammation in the body.
    8. Increased metabolic rate
    When you practice intermittent fasting and successfully switch your body into fat-burning mode, your body is actually using adrenaline to release stored glycogen and access fat to burn. These increased adrenaline levels will speed up your metabolism.
    9. Long term anti-aging benefits
    There are numerous studies indicating that intermittent fasting can help you live longer, plus it might be able to help you fight off cancer and cardiovascular disease .

Debbie, you asked how to start. Just skip a meal! I usually forego breakfast on a daily basis. It is a myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day! I sometimes skip lunch as well. Yes, there are some hunger pangs, but usually, with a drink of water or a cup of coffee or tea, they go away. Sometimes it is as simple as getting involved in something (like digital art!!!) that takes my mind elsewhere. THEN (ta-da!), getting really brave, you can skip an entire day...or MORE. My longest fast has been 6.5 days. The 2nd and 3rd days were a little challenging, but I felt very little if any hunger from then on. I'm told that the more often you do multiple-day fasts, the easier they become. There was such freedom from thinking about food that week. DH was gracious and fixed his own food the whole time, and he is not a handy guy in the kitchen! Coming back to food should be done gently to avoid "refeeding" pains. I started with come homemade chicken bone broth, then gradually added in my usual low-carb foods in small amounts at first.

I'm not a health-care professional, so don't take this as personal advice. You asked what the benefit of fasting was, and I have experienced most of the benefits listed above. Still, I can't advise you on what YOU should do! I can advise you to do as much research as you're interested in. For me, it has become a lifestyle, and at nearly 72, I feel better than I have since I was in my 40s...maybe even 30s!!!

17. AnneofAlamo

I am doing this Air Force challenge with the young ladies in my church. They are ages 22 to about 35? I am 54. there really is a good handicapping for this ol' lady. lol but
    today, I ran the 1.5 miles in 19:35!!
    this is my best time and puts me in moderate risk and minimum standards for the military!
    I am up to 15 situps in a minute (need to do 20) and 8 push ups (I need 9) aargh.
    my downfall is my waist! I have lost 5 inches since february. But need 4 more inches off! So hoping as I do the sit ups, that goes down too!
    I don't know if I can win this one, but I am so proud of myself!
    My clothes are falling off me. #goodproblemtohave
    We do the final challenge the MOnday before Thanksgiving. That way we can all binge over the holidays. lol

MrsEm, dagi and SharLamb like this.
  18. dagi

dagi Aiming high

hello hello everyone! long time no see :). hoping you are all doing great, sticking with your goals :heartlub.
    a little update on me.. I have given up keto.. it was just not the right choice for me. but, I started to eat better and work out and bit more and today, after 2 weeks I am almost 3 kilos down! 6 more to go, at least!! :happydance2

MrsEm and Cherylndesigns like this.
  19. AnneofAlamo

@dagi YES!! to finding what works for you!! I am seriously so excited to read your post!!!

dagi likes this.
  20. dagi

dagi Aiming high

thank you so much for cheering me on, Anne! I am in a great company, that is for sure :bk