Clean Car? | Pad Patter 6.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 3, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So I had to clean out my car yesterday because my mother is riding with us to Chance's 7th grade graduation tomorrow evening and if I hadn't she would have no where to sit :giggle.

14756.jpg.png

Ok, it's not quite that bad, but seriously, I live in my car! I have a 35-40 minute commute each way to work, and then there's all the driving I do after work to sports and for random errands and pick-ups. My car gets trashed. A lot of times Chance eats breakfast in the car and there are always drink bottles and papers and mail and jackets and shoes and you name it, it's in there. DH hates it because he doesn't have all that junk in his precious car, but he doesn't haul kids nearly as much as I do!

I clean it out and swear I'm going to do better about carrying things in the house at the end of the day, but then I'm just tired and it piles up again. We won't even talk about the trunk that's full of chairs and blankets and bags and stadium seats :duh

What about you? Do you keep a clean car or are you like me and have a rolling junk wagon? :giggle

MrsPeel, bbymks5 and keepscrappin like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I keep my van mostly clutter-free, with a pretty good habit of removing stuff every time I arrive home. However, I have three kids who don't do the same as well. There's a pocket in the sliding door where my daughter stuffs wrappers and napkins and because out of sight is out of mind, I rarely clean that out.

What's worse is the stains and other evidence of its age. We bought the van in 2003 when I was pregnant with my second baby, so it has survived all of my children's and their friends' messiest years, spilling smoothies, tracking in mud from the park, and stuff like that.

But most important to me is that the van, a Toyota Sienna, has been very reliable. :wub

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It's my kids that are horrible. Empty water bottles, wrappers, their junk. I usually carry my stuff in each day, but they do not. I'm not great about actually vacuuming my car, but I don't usually let things pile up. When I had to sit waiting for pickup after their activities, I'd often take the opportunity to wash things down though, like the windows (inside and out) and interior surfaces. I always keep car cleaner/window cleaner and wipes in my car for that purpose but the floors are usually messy. There's always eating going on in my car. I think that is just life with a family!

Our rear always has umbrellas, blankets and chairs at the ready. I only take them out when we are going somewhere and need that space for luggage.

bbymks5 likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I do this, too! I will carry a trash bag with me to practices and clean out/wipe down while I'm waiting.

I have one of those pockets, too!

5. cherpea

cherpea Well-Known Member

I try to keep my car clean unfortunately my teens don't help out much with that... shit everywhere given a chance... funnily enough now that miss 16 has a car of her own her car is a crap load tidier... I do fling shit found in there into bags and dump it in the rubbish regularly though...

And thankfully it bears no resemblance to the interior above... though I have seen cars like it...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. cherpea

And those pockets on the back of passenger seats or door sides should be banned... crap collectors...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

Isn't it amazing how much cleaner they keep their own cars? Well, except my daughter...she is a slob LOL

Totally agree!!!

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My car is usually clutter-free. We have our grandson in the back quite often and we have to remind him to take anything he's been drinking out of and put it in the trash/recycle bin when we get home. I don't leave any water bottles, etc. in my car. I put all of my "clutter" away as soon as I pull in the garage.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I also keep my car relatively clutter free. There are a couple things (lightweight jacket and towel) that are always on the front seat but can be moved easily for the rare times someone is with me. A basket is in the back end to keep grocery bags from falling all over on those trips. And, everything that goes into the car comes out of the car when I get home.

Now, the outside... that is another story!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My car is usually clutter free - agree though that those sidepockets seem to collect wrappers and tissues etc and that seldom gets emptied.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

When my daughter got married last year, I took her car to be washed. I cleaned the inside -- got rid of clutter, cleaned the stuff from the armrests, etc. I told her she could NOT leave her reception in a messy car! She was quite impressed. I think she keeps it cleaner now, but she doesn't live in the same city so I'm not sure.

My car is a Mini Cooper (got it after the kids moved away) and I love it. However, I just remembered that there is a hidden area in the back that I have stuffed with math stuff from back when I tutored high school math. Ya'll have inspired me to go clean it! Also the back seat usually has some stuff in it that I use occassionally -- because no one ever sits in the back seat of a mini!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

I really need to work on making DS carry his things out of the car. He is the one that makes most of the mess!

Oh, the outside of mine is so dirty! But it won't quit raining long enough to get it washed!

My daughter just bought a new car and the first thing I told her was that I hope she keeps it cleaner than the one she had!!
    I love Minis! I looked at them before I bought the car that we have!

Cherylndesigns and kimingvtx like this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Mine is neat... but not necessarily clean, or the cleanest it has seen. A little dirt won't hurt! :giggle My house is similar. Mostly it's the kids and stuff they bring in the car, and I have to remind them to bring it out.... We always have chairs for soccer, couple of blankets, emergency box, movies and umbrellas floating in and out too!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

Lol! I don't let my car get that bad but with the 2 kids in the backseat... they aren't too good about getting any of their trash into the trash bag. So it mostly ends up on the floor until I finally crawl back there to pick it up. I can do that sometimes when I get to DS's school early for pick up.
    But school papers - check! Extra jacket (because we haven't needed one in months) - check! A "lost" doll for DD - check!
    I'm also not great about vacuuming though, which means playground sand and crushed snacks tends to remain a bit longer.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. cherpea

I have been know to park my butt in the back seat of a mini... not super recently though because seriously trying to get into it (2 door version) is a puzzle with longer legs and a dang good giggle... and not something you want to be in and out of regularly when you aren't a spring chicken anymore...

kimingvtx likes this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't keep a lot in my car so its usually tidy but I don't vacuum it out much or dust the dash, etc so my hubs will usually do it for me. He brought my car in for an oil change on the wkend and got them to vacuum and clean everything for me. So the car is good for awhile :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

My GMC Acadia was the primary 'kid' transporter- so while it's fairly 'tidy' I wouldn't use the word Clean to describe it! Does anyone know how to get crap (m&m's, peanuts & a lego head specifically) out of the tracks for captains seats? Asking for a friend! ;) ;)

BUT The hubby's new car (Tesla Model 3) has taken over as our primary transport (doesn't use any gas!!!)- but the hubby is adamant about NO FOOD or drinks yet. It's still too new & too expensive! ;) And, he washes the thing every sunday (inside & out!) :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Mine is almost always clutter free.....if not it just blows out of the car when I drive with the top down. Just kidding, if I leave a receipt or napkins in my car pocket, I get upset if it blows out so it is a forced "clean up" of my car during convertible season. The only thing loose is some change and a bottle of sunscreen (and for some reason I have a bunch of marbles rolling around the floorboards on the passenger side....anybody loose their marbles?).

19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to keep a clean car, but I hear ya on how hard it is to do that when you're hauling kids around. I’ve had my car for 3 years and have kept it like new, but it’s been a struggle when some of the carpool kids don’t respect my rules. Cars are too expensive to let kids destroy them. It’s a shame that more kids aren’t taught to respect others property. I'm excited we get a bus for Jr high next year, so goodbye carpool... Yay!

20. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

yep, mine is the kid carrier so it gets quite messy. It had to be serviced the other day so that was a good excuse for a clean out and (rare) vacuum. Our old service center used to vacuum it out for me (I loved them!) but it has closed down and the new ones don't :cry Somehow, it is always full of cat hair as well even though the cat rarely makes it inside the car (always trying though!), it's a mystery...

My husbands car doesn't do much of the day to day running around nor many of the long trips so it is mostly very clean.