4th Surface in 3 years died :( any suggestions for a new one?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by michele hillam, May 24, 2018.

1. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Hi All! My Surface computer (which I love when it works) just crashed. Luckily I had backed up everything about 2 months ago so I didn't loose much. Thankfully The Lilypad was able to help me restore most of my goodies (although I keep finding ones I want to use and they are nowhere to be found). ARGH! But, I have so much "stuff" I can usually find a quick substitute.

My question for you guys is.....What do you use? I would like something portable (my daughter is going through brain surgery/radiation/chemo) so I can take it while I travel. I also love the pen feature! I have looked into ipads, but they can't run Photoshop Elements...The larger Apple notebooks don't support the pen feature.

What do you love about what you use?

Thanks for helping with my dilemma!!!

Michele

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, I'll keep you all in my thoughts **hugs**

I know people use Affinity Photo app ($19.99) on their ipads (needs to be the an iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 or 2017 iPads and newer); people do use layered templates with that app.

If you join the FB Group App Scrappers - Project Life and Beyond, the admin Trina Lankford has created some tutorials that are at the top in the Announcements section if you'd like to watch before making any purchases.

When I first started scrapping I was using my Samsung Note4 with the PixelLab app, I was able to use the stylus with it, but lets be honest, scrapping on that tiny of a surface isn't much fun...doable, but not the best.

@IntenseMagic Jan, don't you scrap on a laptop?

michele hillam likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I scrapped on a Windows laptop for years. I know it doesn't flip like a Surface does, but it worked for me. My husband's is a touch screen, which was fun to play with, and worked really well, but also drove me a little batty because I'm so used to a mouse and keyboard. If I'm on the go, I still use the same laptop. I've had it since 2013, and it will still run Photoshop CC pretty good. I'm bad to compare, because the comparison is my desktop with Photoshop on a solid state drive, not a regular drive.

4. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I use an iPad with affinity photo and Apple Pencil. I came from using an iMac with PScc and have made the transition fine. I love the portability of my iPad. I have a surface pro that I bought to run PS on but I just never liked how it all rendered on it. My kids just use it for their games now.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter.

I scrap on a Dell Inspiron, running Windows. I take it with me when I travel - but I have to use a mouse. It's newer and isn't very heavy at all. We just went away for a long weekend and I sat on my bed and put my mouse on a paper pad beside me on the bed. I make it work if I'm going to be away for very long.

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I scrap on a 17" ASUS gaming laptop with a solid state drive. It's bigger but not too big that I can't carry it around pretty easily. I would really love to have the iPad Pro and Affinity app.

So sorry to hear about your daughter, @michele hillam. Sending thoughts and prayers. And I hope you find something that works for you.

7. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I also scrap on a 17” Dell Laptop. It fits great in a backpack we have with a laptop sleeve and Vera Bradley totes, so it goes with me a lot. It has a touch screen and my daughter utilized it a lot, while I rely on the track pad more. My husband prefers a traditional mouse and that works easily with it too.

8. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I use either a seven year old Samsung laptop (with upgraded SSD) or a 10.5" iPad Pro when I'm out (and a Windows 10 desktop at home.)

I have a Surface Pro 3, but between the awkward pen, the tiny screen resolution, the heavy weight, and that the battery seemed to always be nearly dead (mostly this), I never used it much for scrapbooking (although I bought it specifically to do that.)

I bought the iPad to use Affinity on it, but find that I still use the Project Life app the most. There are some things I can't do with Affinity and I haven't gotten to a point where I'm willing to sacrifice scrapbook time for learning time. I'm super impressed with how much better PL works on my new iPad than it did on my six year old one and I'm not tired of it yet! LOL What little I've seen with Affinity impressed me enough that I cancelled my CC subscription and bought Affinity for Windows, but at the moment I'm still using only PSE (Windows) and Project Life (iOS).

bestcee and michele hillam like this.
  9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I scrap on an Acer laptop and take my pen tablet to use for scrapping.

My daughter has an HP Spectre X360 which has a touch screen, flips and comes with a pen tool. She loves it!

10. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

We had bad luck with the Surface too. They just don't seem to last.

11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the affinity photo app? I know you said you looked at iPads but they don't run PS elements. I made the switch from PS about a month ago to the Affinity app on my iPad and it does just about everything I did in PS. It was a pretty easy transition and it's a pretty powerful app. I know you like the pen feature so that's why I suggest it. I use the Apple Pencil and it's really a pretty nice setup with iPad.