Traveler's Notebooks | Pad Patter 4.13.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Apr 13, 2018.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Do you use them? Do you love them? Find them annoying? I became addicted when I bought my 1st Midori but since then I've been making them myself. The covers out of fabric, the notebooks out of paper/cardstock. (although I love my leather ones best)

I find them so versatile and the perfect size for my purse. Anyone else obsessed?

If not, what kind of notebooks do you love?

londoncuppa likes this.
  2. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’m obsessed. I have A LOT! I have one that actually takes A5 inserts that I had custom made. It’s black leather, with my name and a Union Jack (of course) imprinted on the cover.

Then I have another personalized leather one from Chic Sparrow that I had them add pockets to, and then I have more misc ones than I can count...LOL.

I buy inserts and also make my own. I’ve got templates I’ve made and also ones I’ve bought. I think there’s a small TN I made in my gallery. I made it as a hybrid project during my Guest Polly stint last summer. There was a gorgeous collection I was lucky to be able to use.

I’m actually planning on playing in my notebooks this weekend with some paints and gesso for a hybrid project. Tangie’s class has me inspired (everyone needs to go sign up for her fantastic class if you’re even a little bit interested in art journaling or mixed media). She takes the fear out!

Karen likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Jen! I have that 2nd one (the brown leather from Amazon) saved in my wish list! Good to know you like it! I have so much memorabilia saved from last summer's Ireland trip and I keep saying I'm going to do a Traveler's Notebook with it all, but have yet to start it. I love the size of them.

We need pictures Jen ... andyou too @londoncuppa (after you play this weekend!).

londoncuppa likes this.
  4. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I used to use paper travel journals all the time but switched to using my iPad a couple of years ago because I tend to get a better writing flow, so document more of the trip.

5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Not really a journal book, but I do have a National Parks Passport Book that I get stamped each time we visit a National Park. I got 2 new ones last week, and am looking forward to a few more stamps later this month when I go to Florida and the Everglades again.

QuiltyMom and Karen like this.
  6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I mostly just use Moleskin notebooks. They are a good size, well made and inexpensive.

Karen and londoncuppa like this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I love those too. That’s mainly why I wanted one that would fit A5 because a lot of my Moleskin notebooks fit in it nicely. I like to use them for my bullet journaling.

8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I have a deluxe old school Mr. Darcy in toffee with the scalloped pockets from Chic Sparrow and a Rustic Kodiak from SpeckledFawns. Love them both! I make my own inserts, dashboards and folders. I do have some of the Jane Davenport plastic folders because I loved the girls on them.

Karen likes this.
  9. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I just can't get enough of them. Working on a notebook today for a new workshop releasing this coming Wednesday! *SPOILER* hehe... I'll give you guys a sneak peek once it's done if you want.

londoncuppa, Karen and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I love looking at them but after years of using a Filofax I got in Harrods years ago, cause the $ was so strong against the £ that I could!!, I am totally digital. Please keep positing pictures cause I love love love the look but don't need another to do/make item in my life! btw, I still have the Filo but...it's just a souvenir though I can get inserts etc at Staples etc. if I'm ever tempted.

11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Yes! I've used them for bullet journaling too. I just wish the pages were a little more white and less yellowish.

londoncuppa likes this.
  12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I love them and bought one in January... it's still sitting here untouched in April :giggle

(I think this is the primary reason I'm digital... I have a hard time making that first mark on a clean sheet of paper)

Karen likes this.
  13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of them before, but after reading this question, and doing a little internet searching, I bought a set of Moleskine journals to try out. I was using an old composition book for a while, but it was too big to carry around all of the time and I eventually stopped using it (and I've missed having it.) I like the size of these and I'm hoping they work as well as the composition book did (or better, if I manage to always have one with me.)

14. jenn mccabe

i may or may not have heard a little something something about that! my lips are sealed though !

15. jenn mccabe

This is me 100%. I even bought a super cheap one from FLying Tiger just to try it out. I did use one of the notebooks as an itinerary druing my trip ... the other one that came with it is empty - untouched. I need a hands on workshop to make myself do it I think!

tkradtke likes this.
  16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I love Traveler's Notebooks! I have 3 now, though I've also owned a few others whose covers wore out after a lot of use. My planner is a TN from The Planner Society with inserts that I scrapped and had printed. I have a handmade fabric TN that I bought off an Etsy seller that's my PL notebook and a Webster's Pages TN that's an extra right now. I also make my own inserts and folders for them. What I've realized is that I love using TNs as notebooks, but I'm not into decorating them. That's why I scrap my planner pages--I get to start off with pretty pages and just write in them throughout the year rather than feeling pressure to fuss with decorating every week.

Karen likes this.
  17. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I LOVE looking at other people’s beautiful TN pages! But I don’t know if I could pull it off myself; hybrid stuff totally scares me — no undo button!

Karen likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hey! Share the secrets man! :giggle

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am totally intrigued by travel notebooks. I have had about a jillion of them in my Amazon cart but have never pulled the trigger and purchased one. I LOVE little notebooks and have a bunch of different sizes and paper types because I do actually mixed media stuff in notebooks a lot, but I keep convincing myself that i don't need another one until I finish filling up a couple of my other ones.... sounds like Jen @jenevang is going to convince me otherwise tomorrow. :giggle

Vrielinkie and jenn mccabe like this.
  20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've barely traveled in the last decade. My last travel journal was a pretty spiral thing with a map print on the cover. I took it with me when my husband I spent two weeks in Paris and Stockholm in 2000.

On second thought . . . not just a travel journal . . . but I wrote in my DayOne journal app when we visited San Diego at the beginning of January. That would work awesomely for a travel journal. You can include photos and the app automatically records the date, time, location, what music you might be listening to, etc. in the metadata of the entry.