April Style Challenge

Discussion in 'April 2018 Challenges' started by Justagirl, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Hello everyone, welcome to the April challenges! This month I’m excited to be hosting the Style challenge and I thought it would be cool to scrap a style that I just can’t get enough of and thats...GRUNGE! Yep this month lets get messy and take the plunge into grunge!

When I paper scrap I can’t help but reach for my gesso, inks and mists. These are some of my favourite go to wet mediums and I am always spritzing, scrapping, or brushing them onto my pages. So I thought this month it would be fun to get all icky with a mix of digital wet mediums and create a painterly, grungy, messed up background as a base to build our design on.

When creating a grunge background you have to think lots and lots of layers. So get layering and stash grab your digital brush tools, clipping masks and painted overlays to help create all that grungy goodness. Anything goes here, there are no rules just visualise getting inky fingers whilst making a hot pretty mess!

CHALLENGE REQUIREMENTS:
    • Use a selection of brushes, stamps, paint and doodles or whatever takes your inspiration.
    • Create a grungy background on your page.
    • Add a few black elements or accents for extra punch.
    • Please use a minimum of 3 different designers from TLP.

For visual inspiration I have put together another PINTEREST BOARD CALLED INKY FINGERS.
    In there you will find lots of great pages and products that might help you on your grungy painterly exploration and below is a page I created of my lil’ mister showing off his haul of Easter eggs.
    [​IMG]
    (DIGITAL CREDITS: SUNSHINE & DAFFODILS ELEMENTS | Sahlin Studio, WATERCOLOR PAPERS | Sahlin Studio, THE FRAMES (with room) | Allison Pennington, FOR THE LOVE OF JOURNALING BUNDLE N0.2, TEXTUAL LAYERED TRASFERS No.1 | Lynn Grieveson, TEXTUAL LAYERED TRANSFERS No.2 | Lynn Grieveson, GESSO IT Vol.2 | Pink Reptile Designs, MASQUERADE No.2 | Pink Reptile Designs)

For those of you that have never stepped into the dark side of grunge here are some basic
    TIPS ON THE PROCESS OF GRUNG-I-FY-ING YOUR PROJECTS:
    • Start with your background paper and build that up with layered paints, inky splats & maybe number stamps then finish off with just a few black accents for added punch!
    • Position your photo/s and create some fun little clusters or scatters around/on them to help support your theme.
    • Finish with some cool word art, journaling or word chips for a typographical element.
    Remember our monthly challenge rules:
    Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the April Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

I can’t wait to see your grungy paint filled pages!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Zeneva, bjc, Cherylndesigns and 5 others like this.
  2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is Awesome Em!! Love your challenge and how it is written up! I could spend ALL day in your Pinterest Board Inky Fingers!
    Off to play!!

Justagirl likes this.
  3. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

I can’t wait to see what you create Barbara @Sokee I know you like a little grunge every now and then too ;) I could do the same I had to stop myself from pinning too many pages in that board. I was ooohing and ahhhing every 3 seconds on my grunge search hehe

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

He's adorable Em! Love your page ... and like Barbara said, your inky grungy board is awesome! Great challenge!

Justagirl likes this.
  5. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

LOVE me some grunge!!!!

Justagirl likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

Oh Em you know this is right up my alley. I can't wait to dig in and get messy! Happy Easter

Justagirl likes this.
  7. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

fun challenge

Justagirl likes this.
  8. Zeneva

Zeneva Active Member

This is such a cool challenge! Thank you. Thanks also for the tips and Pinterest board - helps enormously!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Justagirl likes this.
  9. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Cool challenge and a real challenge for me, off looking for inspiration!

Justagirl likes this.
  10. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Clearly grunge is not a style that comes naturally to me. Ultimately I guess I created a type of art journal page. Anyway, here it is:
    [​IMG]

jesskab and Justagirl like this.
  11. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

Fabulous challenge, thank you =)
    [​IMG]

jesskab, bjc and Justagirl like this.
  12. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this challenge, here is my page:
    [​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  13. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

14. tracymonica

tracymonica Well-Known Member

Great challenge :) Thank you <3
    [​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  15. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

yeah this is 100 % my challenge, and so not a challenge :byay
    Thank you.....
    [​IMG]

16. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

Had so much fun playing, I love grunge. here is my layout Em
    [​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  17. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I love grunge!!
    [​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  18. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

20. Erin Taylor

Erin Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG] The edges are a bit grungy. :) I tried to challenge myself to make a pink grungy layout.... for a boy!