Hybrid Horror Stories (or why I'm not allowed to hybrid anymore)

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 11, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So birthday cards are my main hybrid and DS was going to yet another birthday yesterday so the morning required card making, I thought I could knock out 2 or 3.
    I'm pretty simple but got to try out the 1st embossing folder I've ever bought (I used a rolling pin with it like i saw on pinterest and it came out ok, a little uneven but I was still pleased).
    At this stage, my digi stuff is stuck on and there is scissor fussy cut snips on the floor and it just needs some finishing touch glitter, party is about 90mins so it's all good. The crystally white/silver one works no problem but i wanted the gold for the crown and some of the banner but the gold was stuck so i stuck a pin down the tiny neck of the bottle, nothing, kept squeezing and talking to DD and then all of a sudden, the lid shoots off like a champagne cork and there is globs of gold everywhere - the photo doesn't tell even half the story, cos i'd cleaned half of it before thinking to take the photo, it looks like it's in mid-air but it's actually stuck on the wall and roof. I've never been more speechless and horrified, nor seen DD like that either. It was such an 'OMG! what did i just do and how am i going to fix this moment" and that was before DH walked in.
    After cleaning glitter glue off the ceiling and walls and computer desk in the study (both me and DH because i didn't have a long enough reach over DH's various computer monitors even on a chair), I'm hoping someone else can tell me 'yeah those kind of hybrid accidents happen to everyone' (and then in a bad to worse moment, DH had left his newly made sandwich on the kitchen bench to help me and we both came out to find the resident bird had landed on the bench and eaten half the top layer of bread, so sandwich in the bin and DH fuming) So I'm not in the 'good books' at the moment.
    IMG_9010.jpg

Please help me feel better by sharing your horror story or is something like this why you found digi in the first place? (And this is the finished card and probably my last for a while)

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I felt your pain as I read your story. I am a card maker and have been for many years. I cannot think of any mishaps as bad as yours. I have lots of oopsies ! which I get glue where I do not want it or something gets stuck to where I do not want it and when I try to prise it off it takes the pretty printed digital paper with it so I have to go back and print it all again.

bellbird likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ugh, what a pain for you! I make such a mess doing anything hybrid that I don't dare go near glitter glue or anything of the sort because I am sure something like that would happen to me! So yes, this is why I do digi! :) Hope your day got better!

bellbird likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Yikes! Never had that bad of a mishap, but whenever I did any paper projects, my scraproom looked like a bomb went off in it after I was done.

bellbird likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Your card is cute! No scrapping mishaps that I can remember, but I have a mustard story. I was maybe 10 or so at the time and my dad was squeezing the mustard bottle trying to get some out - not realizing that it was shut. He squeezed so hard the entire lid popped off and mustard everywhere.

And somehow I managed to splash tomato sauce onto my kitchen ceiling and they are 9ft up.

londoncuppa and bellbird like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks for this Bev! Mustard 'musta' been worse, i think the ceiling would've needed painting after that - there is still the odd fleck of glitter in several spots given the nature of glitter and i'm sure it will still be there in years to come - one day we'll look back and laugh... in the distant future

BevG likes this.
  7. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

BAWWWHAAA!!!! Sorry, but I am laughing with tears!!!! I had a moment where I "thought" the lid was on the glue bottle and it wasn't. Thank god all of it landed on the table, and not the living room carpet. Because it was really sticky glue! I don't know how I managed to miss my project when I did it.

Another thing that happened just recently, was seed beads everywhere. They are the super tiny beads that are used for jewelry but they are also used in shaker cards. I have no idea how many the tubes hold, but it's a lot! I was trying to do some projects for a trade show and I went to pick up the brand new container and the beads went EVERYWHERE! I went "Oh crap, oh crap". My roomie was out in the hallway and said "what happened??" She came in, took one look and said, I need to go put gas in my car, I will be back! LOL LOL LOL The bad thing was I had stuff ALL over my table, because I was on a deadline and creating projects one right after another.

Just a couple of weekends ago, I found beads that I had missed picking up! They were similar to these.
    911537_1[5].jpg
    Let's say I bought different containers really quick!!!!

londoncuppa and bellbird like this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

@bellbird AND I don't use that glitter glue! I get it everywhere if I try. I run my hand it in, it ends up on my clothes, etc! LOL LOL LOL

bellbird likes this.
  9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Not as colourfully bad as this, but apart from mixing about 60 different cut pieces up,and having no idea how they fit together,to finish up a stunning pop up flower card (that never got done, life is just to short ) - or
    Actually cutting a hole in the skirt I was wearing, I was looking at the project I was cutting, scissors still in my hands ,down my side , deep in thought (as one is) an for no reason closed the scissors,and hearing the Ritz noise of fabric being cut,and looking down finding that my circular skirt,had a V cut .... un pronounce able words said...
    The worst one has to be, the disaster that happened to my very large pine dining table,when my friend and I were gluing small x stitch patterns,made on graph paper,on a very large piece of graph paper, to form a pattern for a personalized sampler using wet glue. Yep you guessed it, the glue had thinner in it, it soaked through the paper, in parts got stuck, but mostly just made the varnish on the table milky white in spots all over...
    Are you feeling better yet ??
    If not here is the last one.; Same table, brand new. Took good care of it so put a mat down while I helped a child make a card for her mummy. It came lovely,and when it was dry,and ready to put in an envelope,I decided that an insert was needed,gave her the paper and not realizing that she was pressing super hard on the paper,with a pencil ,without an underlay . After she left I went to give the table a wipe down,and there it was ; to mummy, ha....y
    Birt.... half a smiley face,and a Wrigley line,imprinted in the wood.
    Hope you are having a good laugh,and feel lots better..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    bellbird and londoncuppa like this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

glitter and glitter glue are banned in my house.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my Justine... sorry but I'm chuckling at your story! Lol. Glad you got it most cleaned up and sorry about your hubby's sandwich. Oops!

I have a designated craft room in the basement and thankfully it has old marbled ugly carpet because one time I was using a dropper jar of India ink.... think REALLY black and permanent ink.... which I promptly dropped the dropper and ink went flying! Eek! I got one drop on my sleeve, a little bit on the carpet and the majority somehow magically landed on my plastic computer chair mat on the floor and I was able to clean it mostly up. My heart stopped though before I could assess the damage! Crafting apparently isn't for the weak of heart! :giggle

12. KatrinaHunt13

I have thought about buying some of that...maybe not!!! LOL

bellbird and Karen like this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I just saw this on Facebook - this is what you need.... glitter pens maybe?

14. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@bellbird Bwahahaha...I LOVE YOU, JUSTINE!!!! I know I shouldn’t laugh, but every crafter has their badge of honor story. I think this is yours. And, yes... you have to scrap it!!!

I can’t tell you the number of layouts I’ve had to save because either myself, my kids or my cats have spilled something on them; quite often it’s ink. Just keep the hybrid love, sweetie! :D :heartlub

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that looks like a great alternative! my problem is the universal 'i can't just photoshop it' one of 'i would need to buy it in every colour'... digi glitter is so much cheaper and less messy!

i think ink plus the sandwich woulda been too much for DH to handle, i dont think our marriage can handle much more craft calamity - but this is so much what i needed to read because if this ever happens again, i will be telling DH 'At least it wasn't black permanent ink! (or mustard!)' (I'm a mess with just a stampy ink pad though and cleaning the ink of those clear clingy stamps turns me a mottled shade of whatever stamp ink i'm using; a bottle of ink and me would be just like asking for something bad to happen - i'm not about to tempt the fates like that!)

Karen likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

badge of honor hey?
    until this incident, i woulda said glitter is like my craft totem i think but last xmas i wore a new (chunky glitter design) shirt to my inlaws that they are still vacuuming bits of up from the less than a year old carpet and finding random pieces of in the gaps of their leather lounge and they've just started renovating their verandah/deck area where we had xmas lunch and i'm waiting on them to tell me they excavated glitter from my shirt too - i have told them that each piece they find is a precious reminder of a wonderful day together, they dont seem to see it the same way ... that said, i threw the shirt out the day after xmas (i didn't want to be picking glitter out of the washing machine for the next 10years)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i knew you were smart!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

during one of my 'oh yeah i can make that' craft stints, i bought a ton of different beads and quickly learnt that seed beads are like glitter... i think that was one of my shortest crafting phases! (that said, they're all still in the craft cupboard b/cos they're pretty and i hoard all the pretty things!)

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Well you win for the dining table with the most crafting stories! I hope YOU are at the laughing stage with those but the skirt? Eek! I hope it wasn't your favourite! DS is the reason we can't have nice things here - he still absent mindedly draws on furniture (" But i was just testing the pen.." On his bedside table! On the coffee table! And he's 9 now... i know Karma is a long time coming but I'm sure he'll have kids someday and i figure that will be his payback - if not, DH and I will probably go test pens on his furniture when he's middle aged!)

Nemla likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i am just seeing this now ... omg that is quite the story justine! my mishaps are mostly wasting tons of sticker paper and ink with my silhouette ... and leanring how to use the misters properly. actually i still haven't mastered how to mist - i'm at a complete loss on that! i have a few and any time i spray the bottle down 1x - the entire page is covered - and it isn't pretty or "misty" - it's just a blob of saturated ink! i gave up. i don't know what the secret is or if there even is one ... i did learn that you can take the mister spray cap off the bottle and just flick it to get ink splatters. very pretty look with that technique. but how to truly do a nice light misty mist. i could not tell you if my life depended on it!

along with your glue mess all over your walls ... i did something similar a few weeks ago. my pug had an ear infection. when i went to shake his liquid meds, i did not realize i had left the little trun cap open. ear infection medicine in BOTH eyes. i was the only one home and i'm not sure how i made it to the bathroom to rinse my eyes out! OMG did they burn, i felt blinded and was sure i was calling an ambulance. but i rinsed and rinsed and soon enough it calmed down and i could see - my eyes were just irriatated for awhile. no long term resdidual effects there.

digi crafty is so much easier than the tangible stuff. off to have a peek at your card now! :)

bellbird likes this.