April 2018 Book Club - Britt Marie Was Here

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's soon to be a new year and we have some new books to read together! Hooray! :) I am posting the next few months all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for April 2018 is Britt Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

Danyale likes this.
  2. Karen

Ok, I know it's not April yet, but I already read this and I LOVED it! Super quirky, but totally lovable bunch of misfit characters! I can't wait until some others read it too!

One slight spoiler: Why is the lady in the pizza shop/post office always referred to somebody. That was so funny to me. :giggle

Danyale likes this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I'm almost done reading it and like it too :)

Karen likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I think I had put this on my Goodreads list after seeing it somewhere. Yes, a cover can sell me.

bellbird, busywoman139 and Karen like this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

whoo hoo! picked up the CD of this today and can start listening on my way to work. I went from a 3 minute commute to a 30 minute commute recently when my office relocated. The only bonus I'm telling myself is that I can get some book listening in!

bellbird, busywoman139 and Karen like this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Just downloaded to my kindle. I’m not sure what I think about it yet.

Karen likes this.
  7. umyesh

@Karen your spoiler was something unique I had never seen in a book before. I liked it!

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. Karen

Me too! :)

umyesh likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think that's one of the things i loved about the book, it was kind of quirky and it speaks to Britt-Marie's initial character (in white) she was so uppity to me that asking the name of a lowly clerk in a town she wasn't staying long in anyway, was beneath her and then i guess it resonated for me because it's hard to ask some one's name after you've had several brief encounters (i'm thinking of random parents at school pickup and swimming and sports events) so in my head i just refer to them as that lady that sits 3 seats down from me or is the mum/grandma of the kid with the red hair etc).
    There's also one of my favourite poems by e.e.cummings (no caps on purpose - cummings didnt like caps but the poem is about "anyone" and "no one", anonymous people and how they and all of us generally in a community go about life, side by side not necessarily noticing each other, in various years and seasons that go by and the pattern repeating through generations - i don't know if the poem would have been influential in Britt-Marie but the Someone character reminded me of that (and i audio'd it so i dont know it Someone had a capital like it was their name in the book-book but while i was listening, to me 'someone' became 'Someone' with a caps
    :)

Karen and umyesh like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(so hyper links don't get turned white) #lesson_of_the_day !

So glad you've liked this book so far - i think i suggested it, it was my fave book last year, possibly because i didn't have any expectations going in and i quickly felt sympathy and respect for Britt Marie and i didn't know if i was happy for her relationship in the end (i can't remember the husband's name, he was some kind of business man, (talking about market downturns etc if i remember correctly) and she was so proud of that etc, after all the lipstick, ungrateful step kids etc But the job centre woman ended u being for me a star employee, talk about above and beyond, because i think the 'punctual' and high expectations of B-M would drive anyone crazy :carryon

Karen and umyesh like this.
  11. tinkerbell1112

Hhmmm. I should have expected my initial reaction. I didn’t like A Man Called Ove until like the last chapter. This one hasn’t grabbed me yet either. Maybe it’s the reader on the cd I’m listening to but I’m finding myself annoyed with a lot of the characters. I do feel sorry for Britt-Marie, but probably not my favorite book of the year so far

12. Karen

That's what's so great about books though... everyone has a different reaction to them and if you don't like one, you can just read another one! :) I have had this happen several times where I'd read a book because several people told me how much they loved it and then I end up not in the right mood to read whatever it is and I'm annoyed and wondering why someone liked it! Lol!

I definitely loved this one more than a Man Called Ove and agree that it was the last chapter that finally brought me around. I had a hard time liking Ove in that book, but for some reason I just loved Britt Marie (after the first few chapters anyway). :)

bellbird likes this.
  13. tinkerbell1112

I'm in another 3 chapters and it's getting easier to listen to. I keep hoping for that moment like I had in Ove where I'm like turned around. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've got this one downloaded now and also the other one "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry" by the same author.

Karen likes this.
  15. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Since I zipped through March’s awesome book already, I’ll start this one in the next few days.

I love how book club has me reading books I never would have purchased otherwise but completely ended up loving.

busywoman139 and Karen like this.
  16. tinkerbell1112

I’m listening on audio and something is bugging me. Is the lady in the wheelchair called Somebody? Or am I not hearing it right? Thank you

Part of me thinks Somebody is right because it’s making a point that she doesn’t bother learning names...just like the girl at the placement office doesn’t have a name...

17. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have just listened to it as well and I think that Brit Marie just calls her somebody because she initially didn’t want to learn names. I may have missed any other reasons...
    This has been my favourite book this year. I loved Ove as well so may have to read his others as well...

18. umyesh

Yes that is correct. She is called Somebody.

Karen and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  19. tinkerbell1112

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  20. tinkerbell1112

So did anyone else see the stark contrast between this book and how she’s running from death and her fear of it,while in A Man Called Ove he’s in the complete opposite state in the beginning. I do think character development was pretty good here even if I never really liked the book as a whole....

Highlighted my thoughts