What's the deal with challenge rules?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by lou, Jan 30, 2018.

1. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Great discussion. I think that we all agree that we like when the rules are clear. Thanks for all of the work that makes this a wonderful event!

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

And that right there is the hard part. For a little back end MOC information, all the hosts post their draft challenge language 2 weeks (or more) in advance. And then we all pick it apart, playing devil's advocate and trying to find all the ambiguities in the guidelines so we can fix them before final posting. And we still have things that aren't clear to everyone. So it truly is a balancing act!

3. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I received an email early in the challenge saying my page didn't comply to the rules. I got a little freaked out because my laptop had just crashed and I would have had to completely redo the page. Then I got another email saying she had someone else take a look at my journaling and thought it complied after all so I didn't have to make any changes. Whew!! Since then I have decided to ask the Polly who created the challenge if I have any questions as to whether my page qualified. Thanks to all of you who create these challenges and check over all the submissions...I cannot imagine!!

MrsPeel, AJK and yellowpeep like this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh me too!!! Better a question now, then a re-do later. BTW- last year I did not realize the pages were checked as things went along. I though it was all done after it was too late to make a change. So I am really happy about that!!

cfile and MrsPeel like this.
  5. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

We check as we go along so that if we find something we can let you know so you have time to fix it, if necessary. And as others have mentioned, the behind the scenes work is really impressive-- everyone helping to check and verify. I can't tell you how many times I've run things past Julie and Courtney, to see what they thought before contacting someone.
    That said, I work three jobs and have two little ones at home so I have a hard time checking on my challenge every night. If you see pages that are not following the rules, rest assured that someone is on it. After years of participating in the behind-the-scenes of MOC, I can say with 100% certainty that every effort is made to assure that no one feels targeted and no one slips through the cracks. I'm so utterly impressed with the sheer volume and creativity of the layouts that are produced during one month each year. Truly extraordinary. Hats off to you all!!!

MrsPeel, jaye, KatrinaHunt13 and 2 others like this.
  6. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Well, the hosts tell you in private the most friendly way they possible can. So why not just give love in the comments?

I also got one pm for something I forgot to do. Last year even twice for the same challenge!
    But sometimes language can be a problem too. We can understand most part of the challenge and think we got the full message, but maybe we didn't had it as clear as we thought... I have no idea what all the names after TRIANGLE were, so I sticked with... a triangle :giggle

Today I got the idea everything had to be in line and than that is was only about the journalling. So I read more of the comments and questions.
    In the gallery I give love on the layout not on how well it fits a challenge, but... I find it very funny how gallery gots floated with samelike layouts after a new challenge is given:giggle

heathert, MrsPeel, Karen and 5 others like this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's a wise step. I also learned not to delete my psd's for a few days so that if changes are needed, I can easily make them, instead of having to start over! Good tip for next time! :D

MrsPeel, Aerobigirl and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I can tell you that I inadvertently broke a "rule." I received a personal message from the challenge host that kindly made recommendations for how I could get into compliance. Soooo....yes, we are required to follow the rules...or run the risk of not getting the $20 gift certificate at the end. My intent here is not to be argumentative...its just that I CAN attest to the fact the Pollys are looking and do ask us to make corrections.

yellowpeep, MrsPeel, LynnG and 5 others like this.
  9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Fabulous thread.
    I find it reassuring that once I have a comment on my layout by the challenge host/hostess my layout is good to go. Without stressing that a layout I think meets the criteria does'nt and Julie has to "catch it" and disqualify me.
    If there is a conversation because I hit enter in my enthusiasm, without reading all the fine print carefully, I am able to edit the layout and edit it in the gallery.

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Interesting thread... I have never even looked at these threads before.. was looking for something specific and ran across it... by now I am sure some of you have figured out I tend to talk a LOT at times... I like to call it chatty (smile)... I am about ready to post todays challenge and will re read the rules... re: stuff hanging off... But what I have seen is, that throughout the challenge threads there is much conversation and clarifying and as I recall, there was a discussion today about a paint splat under the column and hanging out... Seems things can hang out a bit??? The challenge with the 3 photos , pieces of us or??? it plainly stated all in a row... and I saw several have to change their pages ... thus when I saw someone in the gallery who had staggered photos, I complimented her on her page and told her about the discussion thread... have no idea if she changed it or not? and today , I found someone had posted in the wrong thread... pointed out she had the wrong one and which was the right one... it was pretty straightforward... I have NO idea how you guys can manage to police all of the pages.. there is an amazing amount of participation in this challenge... I think more than the Master Scrappers Challenge last fall on Scrapaneers... for the record, I have thoroughly enjoyed myself and have accomplished a LOT... have really enjoyed learning my way around the site... my only argument would be for the supplies to have to be current in the store... We spend lots of money and it hurts to have something perfect in our stash and not be able to use it, because it is no longer in the store... Thanks for all your effort...

ashleywb and MrsPeel like this.
  11. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

I never delete the psd's. Because I can use most pages in my family album. So when I am making the digital album I can go back to the psd and change journal to Dutch or change backgound of the oposite page to the same backgound and for that and/or matching elements I can go back to the psd to see the names of the kits I used. Or making it more my style or adding more pictures...

BevG, MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  12. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

Last year, I had a few pages that missed the mark. Each time I had a polite email from the Challenge Polly pointing out the changes I needed to make. This year I have kept all my working files, just in case! Human nature being what it is, I imagine that some Polly's are stricter than others :giggle but rest assured they are all extremely fair.

I personally wouldn't point out someone else's mistake in the challenge thread, the Pollys are on the case! On a couple of the challenges I have read the rules in a certain way, but when I looked at the example LO, I realised I had misinterpreted something.

With the technique challenges, I think that they are more flexible with the rules because not everyone has the same software capabilities - my PSE is 13 years old! So if you've 'had a go' and followed the idea, then that's OK.

Congrats on your first MOC @lou Good luck with getting all the challenges done.

yellowpeep, MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  13. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Now I'm starting to rethink my column page! I have a sprinkle ribbon tucked under one side of the column, but it runs the length of the column, so it could be interpreted either way - as part of the column structure since it's uniform along the whole length, or separate from the column since it's under. ACK!!! Glad I came and saw this thread!

Last year, I got contacted very politely about one layout, and I changed it right away.

This year, I think I've been really careful, but I've still been contacted about three of my pages. Strangely enough, it's been the challenges with fewer directions that I've messed up. When the directions are more complicated, I check and double-check and triple-check. When they seem less complicated, I've missed something.

I know there's a $20 gift certificate at stake and I respect that rules need to be followed to earn it.

The only thing that's been really hard for me was being contacted to say my journaling wasn't right. Objective things (word count, not repeating the same word, full sentences) are easy to fix. Subjective things, especially when close to the heart, that's a tough call.

MrsPeel likes this.
  14. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I feel this way too. Hard to ask someone who poured their heart out into a journaling layout to change it based on something subjective that could be viewed either way. No matter how politely you try to tell someone, it can come across critical of a very close personal moment for that person. Better to let it go unless it's an obvious misstep on the rules.

Aerobigirl likes this.
  15. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

Having taught classes online with no other tools than screenshots and written text, I know only too well how easy it is to write what you think is a clear instruction which later turns out to be open for interpretation. You ladies do a great job. In 31 challenges, I've experienced only minor confusion and most of the time the questions I did have had already been asked and answered by the time I realized I had them.

You all do a great jobl.

londoncuppa, cfile, MrsPeel and 6 others like this.
  16. lou

lou Well-Known Member

This! Or do not ADD old things back in if they were not in the store on the 1st Jan... I just found out i could have used a sizeable collab but it was definitely not in the store when i checked several times this month... I'm very disappointed by this actually. Some of us have less ressources than others, i work with what i had currently in store only to find out i could have used more... Oh well! Too late for this year!

17. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

If you are referring to specific TLP site collabs, they have stayed the same throughout the month. Nothing has been added back into the shop. The only new site collab in January is Makers Gonna Make, which was our free with purchase during the quarterly sale weekend from January 12-15. If you have a question about a specific collab, I would be happy to address it.

18. lou

lou Well-Known Member

@lmccandless, I just found out Treasures the things is now in store. I have searched multiple times and could only find 3 parts. Then i found the template (treasurer) a few days ago and looked again just in case. Still was not showing up in any search but someone pointed out in another thread today that it had been added sometime during the month.
    And i do not know how she found it because it still does not show up in a search...
    It is not in collabs either.
    The thread is titled broken collabs. The lady has a link to the store.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  19. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

This kit is NOT available on the storefront. I see a link was posted from the weekend it was originally for sale but it’s no longer being offered, which is why you couldn’t find it in a search.

20. lou

lou Well-Known Member

@lmccandless well that is confusing! I just noticed you deactivated the link.
    Please update the other thread too then.