How do you keep track of your "go to" elements and fonts?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by stamdl99, Jan 25, 2018.

1. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

While I was in my "collecting" phase I was feeling pretty good about my organization of digital data, but now that I'm actually scrapping I can see some important things that are lacking. First off are fonts. I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I've been spending searching for legible fonts, resizing them, changing my mind and starting all over. It seems so many fonts that look great when I download them don't really work well other than for titles. I've already deleted quite a few. Do most of you have a short list of fonts that you use most often?

I have my kits organized by where I purchased them and then by designer which is not a problem, and I also have them loaded into Organizer with minimal tagging so far. For MOC I've been limiting myself to a kit for each challenge otherwise I know I'll take WAY too much time searching for the perfect element. As I've been working this month I've already found that some elements will be used a lot and I want to start an easy method to quickly access them now before it's too late. I'm thinking about using the stars in Organizer since it's quick to do before I close up the layout. But I'd sure love some advice from the experts!

2. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I love Another typewriter as a typewriter font and this year's handwritten font is DJB's Smarty pants. Both can be found at dafont.
    I am usually a kit scrapper, but do have a file of basics: Kraft, woodgrain, notepaper etc

4. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

Organizer is a part of Photoshop Elements that allows you to import your photos and digital scrapping files. Sorry, I should have been more clear!

bestcee likes this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am a search option. When I scrap I am thinking, I need a torn envelope here...so I search envelope or mail...and go thru until i find what I want.
    I have a few fonts, I love, and have them loaded and ready to go. I found most by going thru the gallery and seeing what looked good. I would ask the scrapper if they didn't credit.

stamdl99 likes this.
  6. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

Do you physically separate those basic files from their kits on your computer @Eyeore ? Thank you for the font recommendations!

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@stamdl99 yes, I have a separate folder. I keep the original in it's kit and a copy in the basics folder. Bear in mind though that I use these and print out my layouts. These are not used to be uploaded and credited in galleries. For creative team work and MOC I tend to use one or two kits only and credit those.

stamdl99 likes this.
  8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I tag items as favourites or basics, so I can pull them up anytime.

Fonts I put into a set (in Nexus) called favourites, but I have my fonts sorted into different sets anyway, so when I look for a script font, for example, I will only load that set to look at.

stamdl99 likes this.
  9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I actually have a Go To folder where I keep my favorite staples, stitches, card stock, overlays, string, ribbon, card stock, buttons, etc. I usually focus on one kit but use my “go to” items when needed. My system 10pc actually does a decent job of finding supplies too.

stamdl99 likes this.
  10. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

Guess what - I started using Nexus at some point and had forgotten all about it! Thanks for the nudge. I also like your tags, great idea to separate basics and favorites.

11. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

I like how you think! It's easy for me to get overwhelmed so less is more when it comes to often used items.

12. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

Aah - that's the key I was missing! Putting a copy in another folder makes more sense to me than breaking up a kit. Got it!

13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm just a seacher. When I need something, I just go straight to the search bar and if I know who the designer is I just search their folder. I use Nexus for fonts :)

stamdl99 likes this.
  14. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I don't have any good advice on fonts--I just know what my 5 or so go-to's are, and I almost always use those for journaling. Titles is where I branch out more, and I guess that's trial and error combined with uninstalling fonts I'll never use. I also have favorite font designers, and I start with their fonts when I'm in the mood for new ones. (Those tend to be font designers who conveniently name their fonts so they're together and identifiable, like KG [font name], DK [font name], or Janda [font name].)

I have a few Go-To folders. I may have more in them than most people, because when I'm embellishing a PL page that I scrapped in the PL App I make myself use only what's in the Go-To folders to keep things quick. I started out with only 1 big folder, but it was taking me forever to look through it. This works better for me. I think right now I have Go-To folders for papers, elements, fasteners (stitching, staples, tape, etc.), word art, wood elements, and paint and scatters.

stamdl99 likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

As far as fonts, I tend to use the same ones. I've posted about faves before - thought I would share those threads in case anyone needs to add more to their arsenal. LOL

Looking for some new fonts

Handwriting Fonts?

As far as keeping track of favorites, I use ACDSee and I am able to tag items, so if I want basic whites or krafts for papers, I can tag them and click one button and see them at one time, but they remain in their separate folders.

stamdl99 likes this.
  16. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I generally always go first to BYOCs because I tend to have a lot to pull from. But I literally have to go into each folder and see what the colors are and if I want to use them. Not very efficient. On my old computer I used one of the Photoshop tools that came with Element to tag the preview images. But when I got my new computer, I didn't carry that over.

stamdl99 likes this.
  17. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I have gone back and forth between using ACDSee and the Organizer in PSE. Lately, I've just been mercenary when I buy a kit - I delete any elements or papers that I know I won't ever use. Then, I put AAA in the name of my very favorite items.

stamdl99 likes this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

When I used Organizer, I made a Category called Basics and one called Favorites.
    Basics was things like staples, and neutral tones of tags, frames, etc.
    Favorites was my favorites. And this could change. Washi phase? All my washi was tagged favorites at one point.

The advantage of this was when I was tired of something being in a category, I could remove it from the category, and it was still in the kit. No double files or anything.

karen Barlow and stamdl99 like this.
  19. karen Barlow

karen Barlow Member

I leave mine in the kits and keep the zip files in a separate folder. To keep track of the kits, I've created a powerPoint file and copy the preview file of each kit onto a new slide - I type the kit name into a text box at the top of the slide. I separate them by designer - that way if i am looking for a kit that may be green, I can flip through the slides quickly - and also scroll down the navigation bar in powerpoint to get to a kit i am looking for. I use colour coding for a lot of things so this works really well for me... at the moment - i have thought about using organizer - but Powerpoint is quick and easy - i also own powerpoint and use it for work so it is easy for me to use. I store the powerpoint package in the folder with all the kits etc. Google docs have a presentation program that could be used instead of powerpoint. :-)

stamdl99 and bestcee like this.
  20. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

I hope to get to this method at some point in the future. I'm not always sure what I am looking for!