Broken Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Dec 1, 2017.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

This morning, I knocked my Nikon in the neoprene sleeve I use as a soft case off a chair. It fell about a foot to the floor. I figured it was fine... to be quite honest, it has fallen before.

Today the fate was not so good. I took my camera out and the lens was bent at an odd angle

I am super sad.

2. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no, that's awful, and so close to Christmas too! Hope you get a replacement in time for the holiday season!

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i just gasped. i'm sorry! and super sad for you. is the camera at least still functioning ok?

(updated to add : not sure if it's a DSLR camera - lens and camera body are separate? so that's what i was assuming when i asked if the camera body is still ok?) if it's all one unit ... :(

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh man! I hope it can be fixed or a new lens attached! Hugs!

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

oh no!!! Hopefully you have a repair shop near you and they can help you out. Or... perhaps Santa could bring you a new camera this year?

6. GlazeFamily3

It is a DSLR. I have had the lens for longer but the body is only a few years old... thanks to an unfortunate incident at Space Mountain. It is my 18-35mm lens that I use the most.

Nikon does have some good sales right now, so we may just get a whole new camera. They improve so much in just a few years!

I am mostly sad because until we replace whatever, I am without camera. And though I do appreciate my phone camera, it is just no substitute for the DSLR.

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Oh no...my heart just lurched reading this. I agree, a camera phone is wonderful but when you've used a DSLR regularly, it is hard to go without. I use my camera phone a lot for everyday photos but the thought of not having access to a DSLR would freak me out. The good thing (if there is one in this situation) is that maybe the repair cost won't be too high or you will get a new camera. Either way, hang in there, make the best of it with your camera phone and try to wait patiently until things are resolved. Good luck.

8. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Oh no! And camera repairs are highway robbery! I had a similar experience last weekend. My son-in-law yelled for the boys to come outside and see a snake that the dogs had found. I grabbed my camera off the shelf where I keep it in a hurry and it got tangled with a spare lens that was sitting on the same shelf. Of course the lens fell to the floor. I was just sick. Lenses aren't cheap either. So I feel your pain, lol!

9. GlazeFamily3

Oh Nancy I am sorry to hear about your lens. I think I just take for granted having it- almost like an extra appendage sometimes- that it just feels weird without it.

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh man! That sucks. You reminded me I need to get another uv filter lens! When I knocked mine, I got lucky and only the filter broke. But now my lens is unprotected.

So, when do you get to decide on a new camera or repairs?

11. GlazeFamily3

FD3DFF8F-CB0B-46C4-83CB-99227E42BF58.jpeg

Not the best picture but here it is

12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

OUCH! Is the body still alive and working? I am so so sorry Desi!

13. GlazeFamily3

It seems okay... I put my zoom lens on and it seemed to work fine.

bestcee likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ouch!!! If you decide not to have it repaired, you might try messing with it yourself to straighten it. My dd and I dropped a point & shoot whose lens looked that. Since it was "broke" we didn't have much to lose, so we tried straightening it, and we got it working again.

15. GlazeFamily3

An Update... I ordered a new lens and it should be here next Wednesday. I HOPE it is on time because I am visiting a botanical garden the next day and my daughter gets her black belt on Saturday.

@BevG I definitely tried straightening it out because like you said, nothing to lose. But it won't budge.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Ugh, this is what scares me about REAL cameras. Point & Shoots last me one year before something happens. My husband keeps telling me to just save up & get a fancy camera, but I just can't. He's right though. I basically lease a camera for $50/year.

17. GlazeFamily3

My daughter has a Nikon P&S that my mom and sister got her last year. I haven't played around with it at all, but I want to see how the picture quality compares to my DSLR. It would be awesome to not lug around something so heavy all the time.

jesskab likes this.
  18. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@GlazeFamily3 I just bought a new Canon that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. It was a great deal directly from Canon, $49.99 for Cyber Week. It's a Canon Powershot Elph 180. Fun awaits!

bestcee likes this.
  19. GlazeFamily3

oh what an awesome price! For that price, you really can get one every year!

jesskab likes this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My camera prior to my DSLR was one by Sony with an ultra zoom. The quality was better than your typical P&S but not as good as a DLSR. However, it was convenient and that zoom is comparable to about 600mm. It also has many of the features that a DSLR has like exposure and flash compensation, shutter priority, aperture priority, and even manual mode, so I was able to do quite a bit with it.

bestcee likes this.