My journey as an artist

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Li Li Wee, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I started being and doing anything creative only in year 2011. I am a self taught digital layout artist. I learned everything from playing on my photoshop to asking other scrappers. Most of my skills came from experimenting and playing on my photoshop. I don’t earn much for a living, so I can’t afford classes. I was a traditional style scrapper and now I’m more of a art journal, mixed media, minimalist kinda scrapper... I EAT , BREATHE CREATIVITY EVERY DAY!
    I am currently also an artist who loves getting messy with my paints, drawing, sketching, sewing..

I never thought I had a creative bone in me till I became a digital layout artist. I never thought I could draw and paint till I started doodling my thoughts. This is what I have learned, there is no such thing as I can’t scrap .... or I can’t draw. It only takes that one step to start. Here are my photobooks in year 2013 :

So share with me what’s your creative journey like? Do you want to learn something but fear is stopping you?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Thanks for sharing Lili! Your book is gorgeous! I've so enjoyed watching you grow as an artist each year ... so proud of you ... you create beautiful things! And you are an inspiration for sure!

I'd love to get back to drawing and sketching a little everyday ... but school has we too tired. I also am consuming myself with every last bit of my kids while they are still in my house ... 11th and 12th graders (so not much time left before they each fly the coop!)

GwenCreative, Li Li Wee and Karen like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I didn't consider myself creative until I could do it digitally.* I just haven't been very interested in crafts or doing tedious things involved in artsy stuff. I have loved photography since the late 1980's, but mostly in a documentary way, not very creatively. But when I could do it digitally I got more creative. I got my first DSLR in 2010 and began learning to process photos in Lightroom the following year.

The only non-digital craft stuff I do is a tiny bit of cross-stitching and knitting.

As for scrapping specifically, I began documenting my life in scrapbooks in 1980's, and was among the first to be excited about the fledgling paper scrapbooking industry in the 1990's, but my paper pages were very simple. I didn't start using much embellishments until 2007 when I had Photoshop Elements and participated in an active digiscrap forum with challenges and classes. It's so much easier and more gratifying for me to work digitally.

*I also have learned that creativity isn't just about art. In the last decade or so, I have come to consider myself creative as a parent, for one thing.

I typed this really fast because I need to get off the computer now, but this is something I could put more thought into. Probably make a scrapbook page about! :)

GwenCreative, jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow Li Li! I loved the peek into your albums! You know I am constantly in awe of your artistic talent and creativity! You've always had the ability to create emotion and beauty in your art even before you started drawing and painting in your layouts. I've loved watching you grow and evolve both here and on Facebook! Someday I will own a Li Li Wee original! :)

Even when I was little I can remember telling my mom.. "I want to make something" I just never knew how or what to do. I loved anything crafty and my Mom taught me how to crochet as a really young girl, so that satisfied my wanting to make something for awhile, but I've always loved learning new crafts. I've cross stitched, painted (started with oil in high school), done stained glass, crocheted and sorta knitted (I stink at knitting) and then I discoverd digital scrapbooking in 2006. That was the best creative outlet I ever found because it also ties in to my love of photos and capturing memories. This hobby has definitely been the one I've stuck with for the longest! In March of 2015 I took an online painting class and also fell down the rabbit hole of real life art journaling too. Even with all of that... I'm constantly letting fear of messing up stop me from branching out. sigh. Why do we do that? It's so silly!

Here are some of my paintings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But so far I can only do these things if I take a class and do their step by step instructions. I'm in awe of anyone (yes you Li Li) who can just sit down and create from scratch!

5. Li Li Wee

I didn’t know you draw and sketch. I know what you mean, I get back from work at 5pm.. and I’m just too tired to do anything! And you have a family to take care of! Maybe 5 mins of sketching is possible!

6. Li Li Wee

I do think we tend to think creative = art but like you mentioned it can be anything. I would love to own a DSLR and explore photography.

Wait! You STARTED PAPER SCRAPPING in 1980’s!!/ omg! Do you still have them? I would love to see it.
    I do think you are CREATIVE even before you went digital. Thanks for sharing.

7. jenn mccabe

I went to art school and won 2nd place in the freshman competition! But then dropped out of art school to go into a different direction with college. :( My daughter and I were just going through my old portfolio last night bc she needed some supplies for her art class! It was a walk down memory lane for sure! I miss it ... especially when I see my daughter playing with art supplies all the time. :beat

I have challenged myself (over the summer) to do 1 little sketch on the iPad each night ... but still I don't follow through. I try to channel you Lili ... lol. I know that is how you got your start ... committing to doing something each day. But still it is hard. :bk

Karen and Li Li Wee like this.
  8. Li Li Wee

If only I paint all the above!.omg! I do think you should create and sell your stuff! It’s amazing. Oh my! You have so many skills! I envy you.

Talking about fear of messing things up, for me it’s because art supplies are expensive and I’m afraid if I ruin it .. it will be a waste! Lol! Do you know, I still don’t paint on canvases. Sigh!

One day when I feel my art is good enough , I will mail you an original. Love ya!

Karen likes this.
  9. Li Li Wee

What? Art school! Wow! I’m getting to know a bit more about you today.

The trick to doing it daily is , just draw whatever. If it’s just a stick man, so be it. I think where it goes wrong is when we expect to draw something ‘nice’ everyday. Lol! I paint lots of ugly faces everyday.

10. Li Li Wee

What? Art school! Wow! I’m getting to know a bit more about you today.

The trick to doing it daily is , just draw whatever. If it’s just a stick man, so be it. I think where it goes wrong is when we expect to draw something ‘nice’ everyday. Lol! I paint lots of ugly faces everyday.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

12. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

Beautiful work Li Li.
    Another ex-paper scrapper, I've never looked back =)

13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

That's one GORGEOUS BOOK!!!!

Li Li Wee likes this.
  14. Karen

This is it exactly! I don't want to waste those expensive supplies! I don't love doing things on canvas either, for two reasons. One, I feel like it makes it more official and then I have more fear of messing it up and two, I have no place to hang anything else in my house, so I just create in journals and then flip the page again. :)

15. Karen

And your art is by FAR good enough already! I'd love to buy something from you now!!! I should scroll through your facebook posts and pick something out and see if you'd be willing to sell it now!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. jenn mccabe

what she said!

Li Li Wee likes this.
  17. Li Li Wee

OMG!! I thought I was paranoid and crazy. It's good to know I'm not alone. I feel less stressful creating on a journal.

Karen likes this.
  18. Li Li Wee

Thanks Kiana.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

That's crazy, LiLi to think you only started out in 2011. You are so incredibly talented!

Until I started scrapping, I never considered myself very creative. I dabbled in a bit of cross stitching, sewing, knitting...but was never really good at any of it. I paper scrapped a bit and created cards but spent more time socializing with friends than being creative. It wasn't until I tried digital that I was able to experiment and develop my own style. I still don't consider myself very creative, but I sure enjoy the process of creating a page and using brushes/paints/overlays makes my heart sing. I've never rec'd such joy from crafting before digi scrapping.

20. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Wow! Just wow! I love your pages! They are ART. I'd never tell you started only a few years ago. Your pages look like you've been an artist your whole life! And I'm so glad you shared that video, because for some reason, I can't access your gallery. I get this message:
    The Lilypad - Error
    This member limits who may view their full profile.

But now I am jealous and I want to have a book printed!