Week in the Life - October 9-15, 2017 *eta first week 2-8th instead!

Discussion in 'Memory Motivators' started by klee73010, Aug 8, 2017.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

BRACE YOURSELVES, I WRITE NOVELS.... :giggle

I know it seems a little early, being only August, but I am already planning my Week in the Life project for this year. You may remember that I posted about it in 2015. (this is based on the project that Ali Edwards runs, though she has moved her project to a different time in the year - some may have already completed it for 2017.) I completed that album in April-ish of 2016, and ended up with something like 30 layouts for one week. I decided I didn't want to repeat it for 2016. It was one of my goals for this year, planning to do this project again. I've been putting my thoughts together already.

I am putting this up, to give you all a chance to think about it, and determine if you want to do it along with me again. This project is so different for every person... what works for me, may not work for you. What you do, may inspire me to do something different. I had every intention last time to use Sahlin Studio's "everyday routine" collection, but ended up going with the November BYOC instead for many pages. I scrapped sooooooo many different aspects of our lives that year. It was a lot of work, and I LOVE the outcome. I think part of that work is why I decided I wasn't ready to repeat it for 2016. This year, I feel like our lives have transitioned enough to make this album so different, and yet so much the same.

so... my final 2015 album pages have all been pinned to THIS BOARD if you want to see what all went into my album, in one place. MOST of my layouts were done here at the pad and can be found in my gallery, but there's a lot of other pages to sift through.

This year, I definitely plan to do a few things differently. 1) include borders, so I can easily put into a bound book when I'm done, if I want. I'll just know to do that going into it, rather than being stuck without the choice at the end. 2) more of my family's words, not just my own. My album that year was very much all about ME, and MY feelings/thoughts, etc. I want more of my husband and kids in this one. 3) I want a more cohesive look than what I ended up with last go-round... so I will be sticking (as best I can) to two different MPM collections: Viewpoint, and Foundation. My "theme" for this year is sort of "travelogue" inspired, so I think these two collections will work very well for that. I also wanted the option to do some app scrapping, so the pocket style will be lovely.

Some thoughts on where I plan to go with this year's project:
    travel guide inspired... clean lines, magazine style almost. if someone were to be looking at my home as a vacation spot, or a place to live, what would they be looking for? Where we shop... where we get gas... what we do for recreation... our view in each direction. (I partially got this idea from some challenges this month and last month here at the pad!) Also, my kids really like THIS BOOK called "Me on the Map" by Joan Sweeney.
    [​IMG]
    it walks through this girl's viewpoint, on a map. "this is me, on a map of my room... this is my room in the map of my house... this is my house on the map of my street..." So.... I want to incorporate some of that into my album this year. "this is our city, on the map of our state" - with things about our city. This is where we go to school. this is where we visit the library. things like that. I do actually plan to scan in our floor plan from our house documentation and overlay that for some pages.

I want more of my kids and husband, as I mentioned, so I plan to have a full day in each of their lives documented... their schedules, their spaces, things they love and think, etc. VIDEOS! I want more videos of them, too. I absolutely LOVE this aspect of technology... adding QR codes to be able to WATCH our kids is amazing. I wish we had more from their little little days, but what we do have, I love SO much. Super big love.

and since I've put so much thought into this so far, I hope to actually start my pre-work early. I have folders set up. I know i will copy photos into the day folders, and separate by stories. I know I will have shortcuts to my Foundation and Viewpoint folders readily available. I hope to have templates picked out, for any pages that may not be done in an app. I have notes pages ready to go in my Evernote app for access on any device. I've started gathering some of the "currently" data that I used in the last album so I can easily put that information together. I am excited, and ready for that week in October. :D Anyone going to join me this year?!

jagruti patel likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I loved that book too! I bought it in the 90's when I was a teacher, and then I shared it with my kids when they were little.

The week in our life project is intriguing. I might do it. It's hard to be sure this far ahead. I'll make a reminder on my calendar.

klee73010 likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love week in the life! I feel like it is a fun look back.
    Due to the insane life I lead, I just carry the camera with me all day all week. The family laugh as the mornings are
    FLASH and mom singing week in the life!
    Each evening I write in much detail a diary of the day. This way even if I miss photos, I will include the stpru
    lol
    the travel idea is very awesome!!
    week in the life of mom's van! tee hee

klee73010 likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have ALWAYS wanted to do this project, but then I always give up before I even get started because of how much work I know it'll be and because I'm usually already so far behind in the other things I want to scrap about. Even having said that I REALLY want to do this this year. I think you have the right idea to get thinking about it ahead of time. I think I already have in my mind the layout I want to use and I might even go so far as limiting it to just pictures and journaling so I don't have to spend so much time on it. If I could get myself to do just that much at the end of each day, even if it's not fancy, it would capture what I really want to capture most... the feeling of what our life is like at that moment.

You have me excited to try this Kristina! And maybe saying it out loud will keep me accountable and actually doing it!

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  5. Karen

Two things... 1) I just created folders in my to-scrap area for each day of that week. I'm going to hunt down the template I have in my head and create a shortcut to it in each folder.

2) that Friday is Friday the 13th. Weird :giggle

klee73010 likes this.
  6. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Ok! you got me! I always wanted to do this...but alas...has not happended! I think this would be a great year for me to start, since Nolan starts school (insert me panicking a little). I love the travellogue idea and the map idea!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! OK, I really hope i do this!! I really hope I can do this!

klee73010 likes this.
  7. klee73010

My oldest little started Kindergarten this week, too. I thought it was another reason this project made sense for me this year a second time. :beat

jagruti patel likes this.
  8. klee73010

Ha! I didn't think about that. Meh.
    But yay! I am happy to hear that you have thought about it enough to create your own folders! That's a step in the "almost for sure" direction.... :giggle
    Last time I did post tiny progress checks throughout the week. I know it helped my own accountability, so I hope to do so again!

9. klee73010

You don't have to choose that week specifically... maybe another week is better? I totally understand the uncertainty though.

10. klee73010

MY VAN! Yesssss! Totally adding this to my list of things to get in the book

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I plan on doing it. I'd like to finish putting together the last one I did before October, but we'll see if that happens.
    My first year was 2012 I believe. One of my favorite things in that one is our schedule. I wrote briefly what my day looked like complete with TV shows and naptimes. I love that about it!

klee73010 likes this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I always have high hopes and intentions, and have even gotten the pictures taken. I just never scrap them. I should do that this year! I'm going to try!

klee73010 likes this.
  13. klee73010

I could easily put the kids' tv times/shows in their routines. Thanks for the idea!

14. klee73010

I.... DARE you to complete it. :giggle

jk703 likes this.
  15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I need an excuse to do this again, the last time I had just started week in the life, took about 5 photos and then got the call that my Mom had fallen and life changed so much with her illness and death after that - it kinda put me off.
    And yet seems silly that I have allowed it to prevent me from doing it again.
    I have done the week in the life project three times - the first 2 were paper scrappping.
    Saying that I am really enjoying Just Jaimee's templates and scrapping a week per double page layout. And so this year that has been a new thing for me and I like seeing those pages in my album with my traditional digi scrapping layouts interspersed.

bestcee and klee73010 like this.
  16. klee73010

I am totally totally loving the mix of pocket pages and regular pages in my almost complete 2013-2014 album. I think it adds to the visual interest of the album. I hope you'll join us, if you feel you're ready. This style is exactly what I have in mind!

StefanieS likes this.
  17. Karen

Great idea to start a list of things you want to capture during that week. I think I'll do that too!

klee73010 likes this.
  18. klee73010

So.... who's the planner girl that picked a week before looking at her planner?? Me. :giggle

I will be changing my week to probably the week before... So, the very first week of October instead. My daughter has no school the week I originally chose, and I would prefer our album to be about/during a week of regularity. Ha.

19. Karen

Oh that's funny.

20. klee73010

So did anyone decide to do this, this week with me?
    I totally did not do anything helpful yesterday, other than get a screen shot of weather and news. I am off to jot some joirnaling notes now.
    Hoping today is better on the photo front!