August Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'August 2017 Challenges' started by ashleywb, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

This summer I have been working on a couple projects around the house, one of which was to clean out my craft/catch-all closet. Well, I got it done! During my cleaning and sorting I found 3 plastic shoe boxes full of printed photos. Needless to say, I've been taking a trip down memory lane reminiscing over all those old photos.

Apparently I didn't have a digital camera until the early 2000s. Which for me, means approximately 30 years of printed photos!! Looking through those boxes made me realize I have so many stories to tell and I don't want to lose those memories. As such, I've been scanning some of them in hopes that I'll get around to scrapping them one day.

So, that's our August photography challenge - Scrap a scanned photo. I can't be the only one with aging printed photos lying around! If you don't have the ability to scan, you can also use your phone to take a picture of the printed photo and then scrap that. I've done that a couple times and it seems to work fairly well. Better to have a low-quality photo than to miss the story altogether.

Here's my page using a scanned photo of me with my sister in 1982 or 83, I think. Be very glad that I didn't choose the 1990 prom pic!

[​IMG]

Scan away! Can't wait to see your pages!

As always: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad (new prize starting with the July challenges)! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    berniek, klee73010, Ga_L and 4 others like this.
  2. KarenZkrap

KarenZkrap CT - Kate Hadfield

The same thing happens to me, I have printed photos that I love and it's time to "scrapear" with them.

ashleywb likes this.
  3. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I spent six months scanning photos from my childhood and my kids pics before we had a digital camera. I scanned both of mt grandmothers boxes of photos. Now to choose which scanned photos to use!! This will be fun. :D

Tree City and ashleywb like this.
  4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

@rchansen Wow, Robyn, you are way ahead of me. I bet it feels good to have all of those photos digitally preserved.

rchansen likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have 20 years of printed photos sitting... I also have my parent's slides from our childhood. So I am going to add an extra goal for me -- send those slides off to be scanned!

6. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Oh, the slides! I'd love to hear how that goes - do you know about how much it costs? My sister and I found a bunch of old slides at my parents' house last year and I actually took some pictures with my phone of the slides projected on the wall. :giggle Not the best method, I'm sure.

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am baddddd - I bought a pre-paid scanning service from Forever almost 2 years ago. It was a Black Friday special. $70 for 150 slides or something like that. I picked out some slides, but not enough to reach the limit. So I just need to pick out more slides, pack them up and send them off since I already paid for everything.

I also scanned a lot using a flatbed scanner with a slide overlay --- tedious since it kept locking up the computer whenever it felt like it. I almost bought one of those dedicated slide scanners that does 6 or so at a time. I probably won't do that as the number of slides I have left to do is pretty small.

cfile and ashleywb like this.
  8. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

Fun challenge! I'm right there with you and well over 25 years of photographs in albums & boxes. I chose a photo of my sister & myself in Walt Disney World in 1984:

[​IMG]

ashleywb and cfile like this.
  9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Great challenge. I have only made a small dent in all the old photos and slides I have that need to be scanned!

ashleywb likes this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Photo from circa 1935, my mother and one of her younger brothers...

[​IMG]

lorieh, RJMJ, Rikki and 2 others like this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

12. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Used my iPhone to take a photo of this old photo my mom has of the two of us in about 1972ish. :heartlub

[​IMG]

Rikki and ashleywb like this.
  13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have a slide scanner that works great... it is similar to this one that is on sale at Best Buy : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/scanners/film-scanners/abcat0511009.c?id=abcat0511009 It does negatives and slides... I did all of our home slides with it.. cheaper than sending out to have scanned and then you will have the slide scanner for down the road :)

I will use a scanned slide (I use the scanned slides alot!!)

Joan K likes this.
  14. jaharvey

jaharvey Well-Known Member

We've been scanning in old slides starting in 1987, so this is a perfectly timed challenge!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rikki likes this.
  15. Kimberly_Wade

Kimberly_Wade Active Member

These photos aren't old but were taken with my FILs DSLR camera so I don't have the digital file. I scanned them in to scrap. What a great challenge that got me to scrap these!!
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  16. rchansen

When I got to the final box of photos to scan it was the best feeling ever!! :D

ashleywb likes this.
  17. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

Great Challenge! I was born in the 70's, so yeah, lots of photos that need to be scanned! I've started taking pictures of them with my camera. Some of them better than the scanned ones - especially the photos that were on One-Hour-Photo Matte paper. I was crushed at how bad those scanned years ago. My iphone 5s has given those photos new life!! :)

ashleywb likes this.
  18. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

LOVE this! I just had like 1000 pictures scanned recently - the first of only a few more thousand I'm sure!

ashleywb likes this.
  19. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

20. rchansen

Scanned photos from my second birthday with my grandparents - one month before we lost my Grandpa.
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.