June 20 Technique: QR Code

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by Karen, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

To incorporate videos into our scrapbooking, I think, is a new part of scrapbooking, that comes with technology. I think sharing a video on your page can give a real glimpse of the story you might be trying to tell on your pages. Seeing the action that goes with the photos is something that my parents might like, when looking back at scrapbooks. Like others said, you could also include videos of other things - moments that touched you, movie previews, tv clips, funny news, or other things that you might want to share with others, or remember at some point in the future. Sometimes music touches you, sometimes a video, but to be able to hear or see something again is a wonderful moment to record and look back on. :)

Tree City, Karen and mcurtt like this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@KarenK The first time I saw a QR code incorporated into a layout was actually in the ATC swap here at TLP. @scrapsandsass (aka Kimberlee) used one to showcase her favorite song/band. It was a fantastic idea, over the top, made the ATC card more special. I know I used a QR code on another layout shortly after that, but my memory escapes me, can't recall what it was, but I know I didn't include a video that I uploaded, since that is just not me. I think the idea that @bestcee had of including pics that are too numerous to include, or videos of a particular event (like @Karen) would make a great addition to the story. That is, of course, until technology has moved on and QR codes have been replaced by something else.

Karen likes this.
  3. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

ok I will give it a try

Karen and bestcee like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I totally get that this isn't for everyone and is outside the normal scope of scrapbooking. I enjoy it because for me it adds a little extra memory keeping to my own personal pages. It's totally fine if it's not something you're interested in. These weekly challenges are just a way to keep fresh ideas flowing, but if this one doesn't do it for you, skip it and find one that does. :) And who knows, maybe sometime in the future you'll start capturing videos and you'll think back to this and use it as a fast way to share those videos with others.

For me scrapbooking = memory keeping and videos are a big part of memory keeping for me, so when I saw this as a way to tie my videos to my scrapbook layouts... I was thrilled. :)

5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

It was driving me crazy trying to remember where I used the QR code on a layout before. I finally figured it out, it was a layout I did & uploaded it to Tangie Baxter's site, sharing the link here, I hope you don't mind:
    https://shoptangiebaxter.com/blogs/news/78552262-art-journal-emporium-gems

And the QR code is this:

I did this after the terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13th, 2015... The QR code is pretty well hidden in the layout since I colored the background of it, but on my original layout, it is still readable.

Karen likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE QR codes! I have used them quite a bit- here's a few from my gallery here. You can also link to any videos on your google photos! I love that in the video of my son a few years ago he has a little toddler voice! I love in the soccer one the boys doing jumping jacks just cracks me up still to this day! I think my favorite thing about them is another way to job my memory about something in the past. That little baby voice of my sons = :cry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to do a new one for this challenge! :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    mcurtt likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

What a fun idea! I've never done a QR code so this technique challenge is def. a challenge for me! My DH got me headphones today and there's a QR code on the instruction manual. While I realize "instructions" isn't the norm for a DS LO, I'm actually super excited cuz it'll let me know, many years from now, what kind of headphones I thought were cool. :)

Karen likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I've done this a time or two before, but for some reason I forget to do it more often. I love this...I used 3 in my PL pages for this week. My grandson started crawling, and it was perfect for documenting that and added so much more than just the still photo :) We also went to a really fun football camp with Jason Witten from the Dallas Cowboys, so it was a great way to use some of that video. I think I'm hooked now!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Here's mine. I made a QR code for the headphone's webpage.

[​IMG]

mcurtt and Karen like this.
  10. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I did a layout about our song. We met in 1989, in 12th grade. This was a popular song at the time. I like how younger people who might not know the song can access it using the code!

[​IMG]

the song

Karen likes this.
  11. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I had my hubby take a video of the kids at the splash pad so I could use a current video vs an older time lapse.

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Has anyone here linked a video from google drive before? I'm thinking about going back and adding some QR codes for my daughter's dances to some pages I've already done. They're currently on google drive. I could easily move them to youtube, but I've had issues in the past with youtube and music. Since I'm linking these on pages that will be printed in a book, I don't want to take the chance that youtube will either take them down or mute them in the future. I may try linking them up and posting here to see if you guys can access them (I know I'll be able to since they're in my account, just want to make sure that they're accessible to those that just have the link).

13. Karen

I haven't tried that yet, but if you post a QR here I'll test it out for ya. :agree

14. tkradtke

Thanks Karen! Here it is... let's see if it works. I was having issues with scanning the codes at first, I hope they're big enough now.

month02page04QR.jpg

Karen likes this.
  15. Karen

Yep! It worked for me! :) Can't wait to watch all of these! :)

tkradtke likes this.
  16. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Hopefully this will print crisp enough when I do my books later :D

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  17. tkradtke

Thanks so much for test the codes @Karen! I'm glad to know they work... now to switch out my pages in my book. Seriously, I'm getting addicted to these! I'm adding codes to some other finished pages from earlier this year before I print.

Karen likes this.
  18. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

To get the bigger code image I chose the PDF version that had 12 to a page & opened that file in Photoshop. When I just picked the download png file is was much too tiny to scan & it would only be tinier when I print my pages.

19. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I've been doing this for a while, but wondering - what is the optimum size of the QR code in your opinion? My pages vary - usually in the way of how it fits on the page. But, wondering how small is too small? Anyone have a firm and fast size they like?

I usually add the qr code after I post the page to the internet....not on purpose I think it's just because I never have it created as I do a page for a challenge. LOL. Just this past week I uploaded 10 videos and made qr codes for our past Disney trip :)

20. Karen

I have always just downloaded from that one site I linked to and I've mostly used the size they download as on my 12 x 12 pages and I've never had any trouble scanning them in my printed books. Those are 200 x 200 pixels so on my page they are 2/3" x 2/3"

tinkerbell1112 likes this.