June 20 Technique: QR Code

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by Karen, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hello everyone! I’m so excited to get to host one of June’s weekly focus challenges. When I started thinking about what technique to talk about, I wanted something that has really impacted my scrapbooking and instantly I knew I wanted to show you all how to add a QR code to your layouts as a way to add even more memory keeping to you layouts.

A QR code is like a bar code and you’ll notice them all over the place on advertisements, packages and other places. When you see a QR code, you simply use your phone or tablet to scan the QR code and it will take you to a browser location online. I use it to link up to videos I’ve uploaded to YouTube and I love the extra surprise it brings to a scrapbook page when you can not only show photos and journal about an event, but you can actually SEE the event happening! I use these for things like my kids’ school play or concerts or to capture little bits of my kids’ personality that only a video can do justice to. The best part about it is that once you’ve upload the video to YouTube and you create a QR code, you won’t have to go hunting for the related videos while flipping through your scrapbook!

To add a QR code there are a few simple steps:

1. Upload your video(s) to YouTube. When I upload my video I make sure to add some quick description along with the date and possibly the location. Just a quick recap at a glance. I also make my videos either public or unlisted. That way anyone who looks at your scrapbook in the future will be able to use your QR code. If you make your video private, only you will be able to view them in the future.

2. Copy the link of your video. It is shown on the left side of the image below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Go to any online QR code generator and paste your link into their site. I use http://www.qrstuff.com/ Then download the QR code that is generated from your link. You then can add your QR code to your layout. To scan to QR code you can download any number of apps for your smartphone or tablet. I use one called “Scan” that came with my iPhone, but you can search for QR Code Reader or Scanner in your app store and find a free app to use. When you scan the QR Code, you'll be taken straight to your uploaded video. How cool is that?

[​IMG]

So for this challenge, I want you to include a QR code that links to a video on your layout. I usually add a tiny square piece of paper under my QR code to pop it out a little bit or even add an arrow to draw attention to the QR code. Scrapping with Liz also has these fabulous templates to give your QR code a place to be:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of sample layouts that I've made using QR Codes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    scrpprgirl, Beckie and jk703 like this.
  2. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Sorry but I'm passing on this one. I don't shot videos or post them on-line so I cannot see how I have any application for the QR code of this challenge.

Okay girls, I decided to do a humorous take on this challenge. Please do NOT try to click though on the code as I have no idea where it goes. I took it from the internet.

By the way, are there any other "dinosaurs" like me out there in the Lilypad community?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Sani_digiscrap, Iowan and Karen like this.
  3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Karen What if I pulled up a you-tube video that someone else had made (relevant to my layout) and got the QR code for it on my layout? I'm like @flowersgal - I don't shoot videos or post them on-line.

jk703 and Karen like this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Yay! My first QR code! I could get addicted to using these!

[​IMG]

@flowersgal - what about a link to something you like to watch on youtube? My daughter and I love to watch Jimmy Fallon skits or Carpool Karaoke clips on youtube.

mcurtt likes this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I will try. Like flowersgal and mcurtt I don't upload videos but will try another way.

Karen likes this.
  6. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

I'm with flowersgal. I haven't taken a video in YEARS and I certainly don't post them anywhere. I have no idea even how to do it if I DID have a video. I don't even have a "smart" phone (not bright enough for one, I guess!) I MAY come up with a layout, but it will probably be a "dummy" QR code.
    Here it is - an ATC for a "rescue" organization featuring my Pennie when SHE was at a rescue place and she found me. I went to the QR site listed above and generated the pretend QR code for my layout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    mcurtt and Karen like this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Can I use a time lapse video that my hubby shot?? I always forget to use my phones video camera until the moment has passed and then I do a facepalm say to myself...I should have caught that on video LOL!

Karen likes this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Here is mine. The QR code should take you to a tutorial on how to play with text made by Jana and found on the scrappaneers website.
    [​IMG]

9. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this challenge.
    [​IMG]

10. Karen

Sure! That would be fine. You could also link up to your current favorite TV show or something on Amazon or whatever... It doesn't have to be a video that your QR code links up to, that's just my most common use for it. :)

mcurtt likes this.
  11. Karen

Totally fine to use someone else's video! Sounds cool!

bbymks5 likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've used a QR code to link to an animated scrapbook page for printing. Also, I'm thinking of using one to link to extra photos from our vacation that I love, but would be too much to scrap them all! I'm thinking of making a photo album in Flickr and linking to it.
    I've done this in Project Life! I've also linked to a favorite YouTube video {Shut Up and Dance with all the movie clips}.

Karen and jk703 like this.
  13. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

YAY!!! Thank you!!

Karen likes this.
  14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

AJK, Karen and flowersgal like this.
  15. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

This was fun! My first time using a QR code in a layout.

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm addicted. See, I put 3 on my weekly page this week. I even got fancy and put music to one of the videos. :)
    My kids LOVE scanning the codes off of the printed pages and watching the videos.

[​IMG]

Karen, bestcee, jk703 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I will try this when I'm back from Singapore. I am such a geek!!

Karen and bestcee like this.
  18. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

passing this one...I don't upload videos...not my thing, but I am sure this is fun, but as a constructive small tiny and respectful idea, this is not a technique for scrapbooking...which is supposed to be?

Karen likes this.
  19. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I've never done this. I need to try it ... Liz's Must watch templates are super cute! And your page is awesome Karen! :beat

Karen likes this.
  20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've only done this once... but I loved the idea and should do it more often! I love how some of you included other videos! I think it would be a great idea about something that had you or your friends laughing, or something that you saw that touched you! Great job thinking!

Karen likes this.