June Inspiration Challenge - The Masters

Discussion in 'June 2017 Challenges' started by Jeanet, May 28, 2017.

1. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

Hi everyone and welcome to June's inspiration challenge. I've been looking forward to sharing this challenge with you as I'm going to introduce you to one of my favorite inspiration sources.

When we look for inspiration we often use the gallery, Pinterest, Instagram or even Facebook but I also use Wiki Art which is a huge collection of artworks covering every time and style period. I consider scrapbooking a modern day art form and just like every artist before us has been inspired by those that came before him, so could we. So this month I want you to find inspiration from one of the masters of art.

Now I don't want you to think you need to be able to copy one of the great painters to be able to do this challenge, I simply want you to look at the artwork and see where inspiration takes you. Sometimes inspiration means something that looks almost like a copy, other times it's impossible to guess how the original looked like. To demonstrate here's an example.

[​IMG]
    This painting is a fairly simple (yet stunning) piece by Villiam Hammershøj. I really love the contrast between the two sides from the dark gray to the lighter gray and the triangle white headscarf on the woman creates an entry point for the viewer, giving your eyes a natural flow through the painting.

[​IMG]
    Here's a quick sketch of what I see when I look at the painting - and the layout it inspired me to make.

[​IMG]
    As you can see what I chose to focus on were the two contrasting sides with a slight pattern/texture on the right one. Along with the triangles.

However I consider myself an art journaler first and foremost and the painting however restricted it might appear holds layers and layers of inspiration for everyone. So let's look at it again

[​IMG]
    Again the white headscarf creates the entry point but this time I follow the flow of the dress which softens the whole scene. Along with the placement of her hands it very subtle leads the eye down to the right corner. (Makes you wonder what she's looking at, right?)

[​IMG]

So your challenge this month is to find a piece on wikiart and use it as a starting point for your layout. You can do a traditional scrap layout or art journal page. The choice is yours.

I know wikiart can be a bit daunting if you don't know as much (as you perhaps would like) about art. So here's a few hints. If you prefer the more traditional scrapbooking you might find more inspiration in the Color Field category or the Pop Art. If you choose art journaling I'd recommend you look into the Surrealism category or Expressionism. But really you'll be able to find inspiration in all the pieces so choose a piece that stands out at first look.

Please provide us with a link to the inspiration piece in your comment so we can all see it and please be aware of any copyright restrictions.

I can't wait to see what you create.
    Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

2. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Wow! What a great challenge. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your process - pretty amazing!

bjc and Jeanet like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Brilliant, Jeanet! :beat

Jeanet likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This is SO inspiring! I love this challenge!

bjc and Jeanet like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks for these and for the tips on what areas to look in on wiki art- i think this will totally help

Jeanet likes this.
  6. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Holy man...you ROCK!!! Thanks for the little insight into what you see and how you worked with that painting!!

7. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

wow this is inspirational and a new way for me to look at art and scrapping..thanks

8. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

CRAZY COOL! This should be FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

Jeanet likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I love wikiart!! What a fun challenge.

Jeanet likes this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Well well done, Jeanet!

Jeanet likes this.
  11. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

This! Please remember it everyone. This should be FUN :) So don't overthink the challenge :)

12. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this challenge. Creativity-stretching, but suitable for many types of scrapper.

Jeanet likes this.
  13. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I am in awe of your creative process. What a fab challenge :)

Jeanet likes this.
  14. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

think my inspiration went the wrong way

[​IMG]

wvsandy and Jeanet like this.
  15. renee82

renee82 renee82

Wow! What a unique challenge! I will have to put my thinking cap on!

Jeanet likes this.
  16. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Love this! What an awesome challenge!!!!!

Jeanet likes this.
  17. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Using the painting Jeanet reflected above as my inspiration https://www.wikiart.org/en/vilhelm-hammershoi I too took the triangles, the circle that is her head, the white of her bonnett and the lavender color scheme for my page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  19. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

20. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

I had a feeling some of you might need a little bit of help for the challenge so here's another example. And please remember I'm only making two layouts to demonstrate the different ways you can use the inspiration. You are only supposed to make one layout

This time I'm using Fatality by Jan Toorop
    [​IMG]
    There are all sorts of things going on in this one and as my sketches shows I noticed especially two things here. The repeating pattern in the background and the more obvious swirl (for lack of better word, remember English is not my first language so.. ) in front.

My layouts ended up looking like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RJMJ, wvsandy, Pheeebzzz and 2 others like this.