So apparently I'm insane...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KittyY, May 5, 2017.

1. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

After a sketchy mammo, I decided I need to wean off of caffeine:tantrum

I only drink coffee (not cokes or tea) in the morning

Any tips yall?
    Any of yall willing to leave me your cell phone # so I can cry? :overreact

mimisgirl likes this.
  2. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Oh no! More power to you. I could never do that!

3. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Your favorite coffees in de-calf should taste just as good. Be prepared to deal with the headaches for a couple of days though:)

Dalis and KittyY like this.
  4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

what nancy said ... wean slowly is my suggestion. i did it cold turkey and my headache was so bad i was tempted to call 911 or head to the ER. worst headache of my life.

good luck.

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

sorry I'm no help, don't drink coffee or sodas, just water.... lots and lots of water!

[​IMG]

amien1 likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Wean slowly - that caffeine withdrawal headache is lethal.

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Bart says to wean off slowly to avoid the caffeine headaches.
    [​IMG]

bbymks5, KittyY and amien1 like this.
  9. amien1

kisses! :)

KittyY likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've been trying to cut back, but I haven't gone cold turkey yet. Sending ((HUGS)). It's a miserable process.

11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Me too. After my test results last week (ECG turned out to be fine) I decided not to tempt fate so even though the palpitations I get are benign I decided to cut back on caffeine to reduce the palpitations. After a week on half caff it seems to be helping a lot. In the first half of the day I usually drink about 3-5 coffees. I can drink green tea after that but in the morning I want coffee. So what I did was to make a container of 1/2 caffeinated coffee (Folgers b/c its cheap and dark roast McDonalds b/c its good) and then put in 1/2 of a medium roast Starbucks decaff. It's the perfect blend for me and I don't even miss half the caffeine.

KittyY likes this.
  12. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Good luck Kitty! I weaned off coffee when I gave up sugar ....it was the LONGEST 8 weeks of MY LIFE! I wish I could say anything positive but its rough but you can do it! Don't take any advice from me though, the minute that 8 weeks were over I was back on the coffee wagon (just sugar free this time around :giggle)

[​IMG]

KittyY and amien1 like this.
  13. amien1

kiss! I will NEVER give up coffee ;)

KittyY likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Good luck to you, Kitty!! Coffee is my life blood...I'm not sure I could ever just give it up!

KittyY likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Substitute something else (without caffeine), like a herbal tea or something would be my suggestion - half of the morning thing for me at least is the ritual of staggering to the kitchen and the process of coffee making in the morning, during which i start waking up... it'd take me a bit to re-wire the brain to change what i grab outta the cupboard first thing in the morning but hang in there, i think in the long run the decaff stuff is worse (chemicals and such and taste *blech* but each to their own) You can do it Kitty!

KittyY likes this.
  16. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Oh @KittyY you can text me! LOL Just do it slowly. I decided to stop Dr. Pepper cold turkey, granted, I drink tea, but not like I was Dr. Pepper. I started with "I can do this for a day" then I can do this for two days", etc. Once I got to a week, I was like I can do this for another week. It's been 4.5 years now. I did cave about three months in at the movies and it tasted HORRIBLE! I am not saying I don't crave it, because every once in awhile I do, but it gets easier.

Maybe try coffee one day and then tea the next and alternate??? Hugs..

KittyY likes this.
  17. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

My dad weaned himself off coffee over the course of a few months...he had to do it because apparently it is tough to find a cuppa joe in China - they were traveling for 6 weeks. Good luck!!

18. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

this is going to sound SO DUMB - but I never thought about the trickle off method. DUH! Gonna try that!! Thanks friends!

19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm sorry. I had to watch both of my parents have to wean themselves off coffee for medical reasons, so I never started drinking the stuff. It was painful to watch. But as others have said, they did it gradually, otherwise you'll get horrible headaches. My mom was able to do decaf, but dad had to stop completely.

I've only been a tea drinker, but I haven't had tea in over 4 years, again for medical reasons. I can't do the acids or the caffeine. My saving grace has been Rooibos. It's an infusion, but it takes flavors wonderfully. I can have my Earl Grey rooibos and it's the next best thing to having the real stuff.

KittyY likes this.
  20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've done it with full 'leaded' British tea when my doctor only suggested it. I did it slowly because as everyone says...the headache rivals a sinus infection one. I still drink British tea but decaf and that has allowed me to drink any kind tea or coffee when traveling. Apparently, a single cup of either (caffeinated) doesn't affect me re the withdrawal headache but I'll never go back to all day drinking anything caffeinated. I don't drink any sodas; never have.

KittyY likes this.