Do you gravitate toward certain designers?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by KatrinaHunt13, Apr 4, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Absolutely.I have certain designers I look at all the time and others I never look at no matter how good they are. Some just don't fit what I'm doing.

I'm a grandmother of almost-adult grands, so like @londoncuppa and @janedee I have almost no interest in cutesy. Even if something is free, I still have to store it. I know I am also drawn to autumn colors because that is when we travel the most and those backgrounds really work for what I want to show. I'm not one who uses something only once so I've learned not to buy more just cause it's pretty. Let me say, that is still hard. Once in a while I will buy a whole kit for one element that really is unique. Not often but once in a while! I've never liked pastels so even if it's a favorite designer product and I'm planning to scrap childhood images of my children, I'll stick to solid primaries just as I dressed them and decorated their rooms.

I guess I still am color drawn a lot! and I know more of what I don't want I think, like purple...:disagree or pastels. LOL and I ignore flowers and buttons but can't bear to delete them!

2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I have some faves here for sure, but theme and colors are my first go to's.

I'm also inspired by new things. Any new kit I get I get all happy to scrap with it!!! Instant Mojo!!!

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  3. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i feel like you are asking me to choose between my children!

4. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

:groan

Haha...I didn't mean it that way at ALL!!! LOL

5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am more drawn towards colour as a whole, but having said that @Amy Wolff is my clear go to if I am stuck on something, and I have tons of her stuff,including most of her papers I love @LynnG rievesons stuff if because of the beautiful blends, and both Etc by Danyale and Lynne Marie are great for family pages, but since lots of my pages are photoless ,I find the drawings of @Kate Hadfield . @paula kesselring great. Slowly getting used to more water colours ,and getting to know the newer designers. Still really miss Laurie Ann and sissy sparrows !

6. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I'm like Courtney, it all depends on what I'm scrapping, what mood I'm trying to set on whom I grab.

I DO have a few designers I heavily gravitate towards because even with the different events, I have my "style", which is realistic, as close to looking like they're paper layouts as I can (as I started out in paper scrapping) and alternates!!!

There are some kits that I absolutely love some of the papers or word arts, but they're in these particular colors that I do not like, or they'll be in pink or whatnot when I need blue, or they'll be in color when I desperately need neutral. So if I see a kit and I really like something but it's not in the preview with alternate colors, I tend to hesitate. There are some designers (and I LOOOOVE them for this) that always have alternates of everything, and I appreciate it so very much because then I can actually USE what I like. So I'll always buy a kit from them when I know.

I also love very subtle colors, the soft gentle ones, the delicate patterns. Bold and funky are great, but they're VERY limited on my layouts as I'm not good incorporating that kinda thing in my layouts without it looking psychotic. I'm just not that talented in that area.

So I definitely have designers I lean towards heavily and feature predominantly in my gallery because I love their kits and their versatility, but I'm always open to finding new ones that I never thought I'd work with. I just recently discovered a designer here that I hadn't known and am now obsessed with because I got a few of her things that were on retirement. Now I can't wait to get my hands on NOT retired things because I know I love it when I see a layout and I can still go get the kit or add it to my wishlist. I hate when I absolutely love a layout and the kit is gone and I have no chance of recreating the look. :(

I'll also admit to being a bit biased and wanting to support the designers I always see talking and promoting the community here. There are sometimes I reach for a kit for a layout and go "wait.. does this designer have something similiar so I can promote her work?" Not that I won't use the others, it's just more important to me to get someone I "know" out there more than someone whom I just love their work.

Also, yes, this place has AMAZING designers, I've NEVER been a subscription girl because I have trust issues and I always feel like I'm not going to like something and don't want to lose out.. but here.. I'm part of two now. LOL! ^.^

7. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Totally agree with this. I use whatever I have (no matter if retired or a freebie from 5 years ago), but I definitely prefer designers who are active in the forum and also comment on my layouts I post in their gallery. It is just nice to know that the designer whose product I bought and whom I promote by posting online (even if only as a side effect) acknowledges my efforts.

KatrinaHunt13 and Serena like this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

Ok, so thanks to all the input you all had on my question, I am trying to step out of my box for my next Lilypad blog post!!!! It will post this week!!

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Paint, overlays, brushes, stamps, textures and all the mixed media stuff inspires me but I also am a sucker for elements and paper so I pretty much love to work with all the designers. That's what so awesome about TLP....the best designers are here! There is so much here for anyone's style. Also, I think it's a good thing to try using products that are out of your wheelhouse b/c that's how you can experiment and grow. I am loving all the mixed media stuff and that was soooo not my style a few years ago.

KatrinaHunt13 and LynnG like this.
  10. elly61

elly61 New Member

Oh dear.. I have a lot of different designers in my HUGE stash of kits.. all alphabetically listed.. I actually have a folder for Dawn Inskip in my D folder.. (which contains kits, templates, lets just say I have over 50gb!)

I am going to stand up right now and say I am a Dawn Inskip addict... And I cannot apologize for that.. this has been an addiction for well over 10 years...
    I have tried to kick the habit but she just keeps bringing me in with watercolours, sketches, dream catchers, templates.. oh I could go on and on...
    Thank you Dawn for my fixes
    lol !

11. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

So, are you talking about the kits I buy, or the kits I use? :crazy :dizzy Sometimes, the kits I've gone crazy for and snapped up the moment they showed up in the shop, I haven't used much, but some of the kits that have more basic "staple" items I've come back to again and again.