Why It Works | Mirror Images

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Dalis, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

[​IMG]
    Welcome to another edition of Why it Works, where we share and highlight a page from an awesome scrapper in our gallery that utilizes a really cool technique, a design trick, a photography tip, journaling ideas or any number of other things to get you scrapping outside your comfort zone. We hope to share and inspire you to try something new, revisit an old technique you may have forgotten about, or maybe just approach that blank canvas in a new way. So, here are some of the things you can do to be involved in this thread:

1. Ohhh and Ahhh over the awesome layout or project that has been highlighted and head over to the gallery and show the scrapper some love.
    2. Learn something new from the tip or tutorial. It's all about becoming better at our craft!
    3. Try the technique yourself and post it in this thread for us to see.
    4. Show off other pages from the gallery that use the technique as well. Be sure to link them so we can give them the love they deserve!
    5. Ask questions about the technique that you may have or tell us how you may do it differently.
    There are many ways to do these things and this thread is all about the learning!

*note: this is not to be a critique of the page/project in any way, it's all about learning to emulate the awesome technique highlighted. Any negative comments about the highlighted page will be deleted.*
    --------------------------------

This edition of "Why it Works" is brought to you by @Ga_L ! She created one of my favorite and easiest way to create a SHOW STOPPING title with very minimal effort. She created a MIRROR image of her title. What I think I like even better is that she made some minimal changes that make the title even more (if that is even possible) interesting and attention grabbing. Let me show you what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

Notice how she:
    • created a mirrored image of the title,
    • lowered the opacity of her mirrored image,
    • angled the title,
    • separated the mirrored image by a line, and
    • changed the mirrored image just enough to create more interest. (Notice how the letters have spots and they are not in the same place)
    Creating a mirror image is EASY, I promise! I have created a video tutorial to explain how I do it. I will give you 4 examples, I believe you can all find an option in your softwares to FLIP image which is mostly what I am using for the basic way to flip images. I hope you join me on showcasing the mirror images in your pages and share the pages here with us.

Here is my finished page:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Haven't read through this whole post yet, but what a fab idea! Love the look of Gaelle's layout!
    I have tried something similar one time before, where I wanted to be able to rotate my layout and look at it in 2 different directions.

I'll be back to read through this again. :beat !!!

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Love it! That page is fantastic and I am so inspired to try this ... I struggle with making eye popping titles! They are usually rather understated on my pages and more of a "last thought". Definitely want to give this a try!

Dalis and cfile like this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the video. Now I just need to try this out...

5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Awesome video Dalis! Thanks for sharing your ideas and favorite word art. I wanna try mirror images now! :byay

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Love the idea! Must try when I get back to scrapping!

7. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

Fab idea! I'd like to try this in a future layout.

8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I like to mirror entire pages for a double spread layout. I change up the embellishments, title, etc. on the second page but the photo locations and papers are mirrored.

p.s. Such a neat trick that the software I use (Artisan) has an option to mirror a page.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Forgot to say, I totally think the mirror title stuff is cool. I need to try it more often.

cfile and Dalis like this.
  10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

That's a great idea for double pages - genius!

11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Love your tutorial Dalis and your Blue hair.. so cute!

You can also do a mirror image and fade it out by using the gradient fill tool... on the inverted mirror layer, drop fill opacity to 0 add a new layer on top and fill with linear gradient :) Here is that in action on a page I did back on 2/8 for the year 2017 and the one below that for the word Owl... the mirror layer also used the distort tool as Dalis showed.

[​IMG]

and in my title here on 2/4
    [​IMG]

Here is a weird mirror image to create a shape/hide a word.. word is Happy .. font was Angelic War.. done for an AJ challenge 5/2014 flipped and then both layers were turned 90 degrees
    [​IMG]

Side Mirror title Germany 7/2013
    [​IMG]

:) It is a lot of fun as there is so much you can do.. .Dalis I love the part with that right justified word art and Awesome and then angling.. very cool!

bbymks5, jenn mccabe, Dalis and 2 others like this.
  12. cfile

I also just did this one for PRD's Blog Challenge and mmirrored the corner title and brad.. duplicating, flipping and lowering opacity

[​IMG]

bbymks5, jenn mccabe and Dalis like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love this!! All these examples are fantastic! I neeeeed to try it!

Dalis likes this.
  14. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Love mirrored images! Have seen some interesting things here that I have never tried before. What a great thread!!!!

mcurtt and Dalis like this.
  15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I haven't done a mirrored image in years but I especially like the symmetry of @cfile 's coffee page.

cfile and Dalis like this.
  16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Thanks for the inspiration! Here's one from me.
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe, bbymks5 and cfile like this.
  17. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

This is fun!! Love your blue hair!!!! I'll have to give this a go.

@cfile I wish I could wrap my head around the gradient tool better!! Your titles look amazing using that tool!

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

Okay here is the Gradient Mirror @bbymks5
    Using font Langdon
    [​IMG]
    Duplicate & flip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps :)

19. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Thank you so much!!!! I'm gonna have to print these out :) Looks easy enough to follow along with!

cfile likes this.
  20. cfile

Let me know if you get stuck.. when i write tutorials I write them the ez way :)

bbymks5 likes this.