best places for printing

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by AmaG, Jan 26, 2017.

1. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

Sure it's been covered a million times, but there are always new services. What is your favorite photo book service? Who is the best value? I've always been a Shutterfly girl, but they are getting so expensive!

2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

For page prints, there is no better place than Persnickety Prints. My friend's box of layouts even survived an East Coast hurricane a few years ago.

For books, I use Shutterfly for the most part, but I really prefer AdoramaPix. But they have an upper page limit of 76 pages, and my books are almost always more than that.

Shutterfly always has a coupon for at least 40 or 50% off. I don't think they are expensive. I upgrade to lay flat pages since I work with a lot of double page spreads. If you calculate the cost of traditional scrapping - printing photos, pages, papers, protectors, albums, stickers, etc., the books are very reasonable IMO. I've printed 5 books last year, the last one was 110 pages and it cost me about $150 dollars using a 50% off and free shipping code from Shutterfly. Some of the pages were double page photo spreads, something that I could never do if I was still paper scrapping.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

So true! I got a box of around 50 12x12 layouts and promptly spilled a glass of iced tea on them. While it was no fun wiping each page off, they were all still fine! Persnickety also has quick service and wonderful telephone support. Every time!!

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

the key to shutterfly is coupons, and staying on top of it. Michaels, JoAnns subscriptions along with Shutterfly give coupons often. I do 8 books a year, and usually spend $25 tops for 30-40pages.
    Justification for spending $200 a year for books. Long ago, I took up to 50photos a month, for albums. The cost for photo processing was horrible!! along with books to put them in safely. Those books are falling apart and I will be scanning and ordering digitally ONE day!
    I started my first print was 12x12 from Persnickity...and the package was awesome, and the prints were the best!!
    I print now 10x10 books and Shutterfly is my go too...but @EHStudios has me thinking of trying another..but perhaps she can tell you about it!

5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Oh, yes, the 10x10 size is what I order. They aren't as heavy or awkward to hold, and they fit nicely on a shelf.

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've been making my albums with Blurb for almost a decade now. Better quality than Shutterfly; comparable price. More sizes. I've made 12x12 and 8x10 albums, plus I like printing a journal with their 6x9 or 8x10 paperback trade book. It can even have color photos in it and they look good! (I wouldn't use it for digital scrapbook pages, but I'm still excited about my first color journal I got this winter. :)

7. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

For large books, Blurb is a bargain. Their base price is a little higher than Shutterfly, but their additional pages is a lot lower. They have different paper qualities too so you have splurge a bit on thicker pages.

mcurtt, bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have ALWAYS printed with Shutterfly... like I have around 20 12x12 albums from them, but my last book I ordered from Blurb just to try it out and I loved it. I got my book for 50% off around thanksgiving and for 105 pages it was only $67!!! That's is at LEAST $40 cheaper than I can get a Shutterfly book for. The cover is a little different... it's matte instead of glossy, but I think it looks so much better. The pages inside were great too. I didn't upgrade the paper at all either because I wanted to see what it would look like and I am thrilled. I will be getting my books from them from now on. And when they are on the shelf next to my Shutterfly books you can't tell the difference. (that was important to me).

mcurtt and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  9. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

Karen, I will definitely be checking Blurb out!

LoveItScrapIt and Karen like this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'll definitely have to check out Blurb for my albums too

11. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I want to try Blurb, too! But just when I'm ready to change, Shutterfly has a coupon for a free 8x8. LOL I only order the 20 pages, and shipping is about $8.00.

12. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I go with Blurb for 12x12 and the price is great when using a coupon. I use Shutterfly for my December book which is less pages. I love both places but for big books with lots of pages I prefer Blurb premium lustre paper.

13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Blurb! Blurb! Blurb! I put together an 11x13 book of photos, 100 pages, their premium paper. Got it for around $80 when they had a 50% off sale this fall. It was so beautiful I almost cried. I also put together four of their magazines, in 8.5 x 11. It is what l scrap in and I wanted to try it. Again, l was super pleased. I always would use Shutterfly, but I have been won over. I :beat Blurb.

15. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

Those of you who print with Blurb - do you have to download their software or can you build the book online like Shutterfly?

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I did it all online. :)

17. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I use Shutterfly but I have a feeling I'll be switching to Blurb once MyCokeRewards ends. Until then, I can't walk away from the free 8x8 books they offer as a reward (and we have a LOT of points saved up). I currently have 8 books from Shutterfly (my 9th one arrives tomorrow), and I'm not 100% happy, but right now I can't beat the price.

Karen likes this.
  18. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I love Blurb, but I order my books from Shutterfly because I like the 10x10 size, which Blurb doesn't offer.