How do we know?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by Neverland Scraps, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

@Nightshadow @Sokee @Frumpje
    I grew up never doing anything for birthdays. When we first got married, we barely ever did anything either. One year I threw him a 30th birthday party (many years ago), I usually get him a small gift just because one of my love languages is gifts. As far as my birthday, I usually buy myself something small or pay a bill with the money I'd spend on myself. This past Christmas, I bought myself a 5TB hard drive (he doesn't give Christmas gifts either) :D It's just not his love language, which I'm fine with and understand. But being this year is my 40th, I'm not near my family (any family), I wanted to treat myself, without dipping in to the budget, to something nice knowing I had spent a lot of money for my Christmas gift. I usually never care about not getting any birthday, Christmas or anniversary presents because I know his love language is not gifts so he wouldn't think about buying one. I actually thought about and checked prices to see how much it would cost to fly my best friend @Aussiegirl out for the week because I miss chatting with her due to our time difference this duty station. But alas, it turned out to be too expensive.

bestcee likes this.
  2. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

Awww, I would love to fly out and spend your birthday with you! But if I was able to do that...I would want to go out and explore, not just sit around! ;) I know it's not in our budget either! Who knows. If God wants it to happen, it will happen...otherwise, it wasn't meant to be! I should read all of this thread to my husband, I do get Christmas gifts, but birthday is hit or miss!

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  3. Neverland Scraps

@Aussiegirl Oh no! You and the two younger ones and I would head out to the Incline and other places that we've not explored yet! Sometimes I feel like the bad mother taking my kids everywhere just because I want to see it! :D We could have lunch at Garden of the Gods! There's so much to see and do and I thought of all people, you'd enjoy doing it with me and the two younger ones--especially since W is now potty-trained and we don't have to carry diapers with us everywhere! :D But it was too expensive to fly you in to the Springs and I couldn't commit a trip out to Denver. Much less, I never ran it past you especially since I saw the prices! Hubby didn't even know that I was planning this! The roof really took a hit on my budget and making this happen :(

4. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

If you want to do a fundraiser, I'm more then happy to give a few bucks too, to make your wish happen! (bought the collabkit too for Sabrina!) We don't have a lot of money, but if I can help somebody I will...
    I never saw giving presents as a 'love language', that's an interesting thought tho...
    I'll have my birthday this week and I asked my hubby to buy me something small, so the kids would have something to give me the day itself, but we are going to a restaurant with our best friends and all kids too (everybody pays for his own family).
    In Belgium you can choose which day you want to celebrate your birthday, if and when and with who, in the Netherlands friends and family are hopping in on the day itself... probably every country has it's own traditions and importance-level of birthday's.

5. Neverland Scraps

Awww, you are so sweet!! <3 I really love giving gifts and doing things for people. I have a hard time saying "no". I guess if you were to follow the 5 Love Languages, my one language would be called "Acts of service"

Focus on the Family says "Almost everything ever written on the subject of love indicates that at the heart of love is the spirit of giving.", which I guess this is where I've been told gift-giving. But I thrive on Acts of Service. By acts of service, I mean doing things you know your spouse would like you to do. You seek to please her by serving her, to express your love for her by doing things for her. Consider actions such as cooking a meal, setting a table, emptying the dishwasher, vacuuming, changing the baby's diaper, picking up a prescription, keeping the car in operating condition — they are all acts of service. They require thought, planning, time, effort and energy. If done with a positive spirit, they are indeed expressions of love.

Whereas my husband's love language is Quality Time and Words of Affirmation. I struggle in remembering to give him praise to make him feel loved because I'm so caught up in doing things for him.

Hubby is a Chaplain's Assistant and every couple of months his unit does a Marriage Retreat. I guess I've gone to too many of them because I'm sure I could give the lessons! In two months, we are doing a complete new series for the Marriage Retreat. I'm excited to learn how we can better our marriage!

I love how you celebrate your birthday (happy early birthday). That's really sweet that the kids will have something for you and you'll be able to get out of the house for the night! I hope you have a lot of fun and make a lot of beautiful memories! <3

This year, we are deciding which day to celebrate our anniversary! :D It's next Tuesday, but we're waiting until the weekend when we aren't too busy with doctor appointments, work, etc. Hopefully then we won't be caught up with everyone going out for Valentine's Day and have a long wait for dinner.

6. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

I'm kind of laughing at this thread...I told my daughter at Christmas that in 20 years of marriage, I've never been able to pick out my own dishes because my husband always gets them for me for Christmas. I bite my tongue. And I hide the three identical necklaces that he's given me the last three Mother's Days in my drawer along with the two identical ones from years before. Oh well, LOL.

7. Frumpje

@Neverland Scraps , I made him a little wishlist to buy something... but... there were 3 things on it, and now... there are 3 packages delivered! hahaha... is he making up for all the forgotten birthdays or does he want to be save for the following 2 years??? :rofl:rollin

bestcee, elk2009 and Neverland Scraps like this.
  8. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I've never done the MOC before. I'm assuming, since I've heard nothing, that folks are still working on compiling all the info for this? I shouldn't stress that maybe I didn't make the winners' circle? At least not just yet?

9. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I so understand how that feels. Good job taking care of you. And an early happy birthday!

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  10. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

It usually takes until the end of the month. There are over 100 and probably closer to 200 who participated (maybe not finished) Often they have a Chat devoted to all those announcements and it is also put in the forum. There will be a post with all the people who are confirmed finished in a couple weeks or sooner. This is because they have to email gift certificates and so they need you to confirm your email address. So hang on, the fun is coming.
    Your work is so gorgeous you did great I'm sure.

Neverland Scraps and Karen like this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yep what Carilyne said. It takes Julie weeks to go through everyone's layout threads to make sure they meet all the individual challenge requirement. You will see lots of announcements here in the forum when everything is wrapped up and yes we'll have a HUGE chat to announce all the winners. :)

Frumpje and Neverland Scraps like this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hey guys - I'm about half way through the tallies. They're taking me a bit longer this year, not sure why, but as soon as I've got "THE LIST" ready, I'll post it, and then we'll go through the process of gathering everyone's information, and get a wrap-up chat scheduled! Thanks so much for your patience!

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank Julie for the update.. I know how time consuming this is, and I really appreciate it!

jenn33199 and mrs2a50 like this.
  14. Neverland Scraps

Yikes @mrs2a50 do you do it all by yourself?! That's a lot of work. I don't envy you, but if you guys ever need help, I'm just a shout away! <3

@dancingJaye that's so sweet and kind of funny that he purchased the same necklace for you, not once, but a couple of times!!!

@carilyne I try to do something for myself, especially if it's a year he's deployed, in the field or away. This year, being my 40th and now owning a home, it's harder to budget things. So I worked hard to get my layouts completed for the MOC! Every penny helps, especially when you have a budget. Being an adult sometimes takes the fun out of scrapping, especially when you have bills to pay! :D

I also wanted to thank the anonymous person who sent me a gift card earlier last week. I was knee-deep with a child who had the stomach bug, had a really bad day and came online to see it! It was so sweet and thoughtful! I was totally taken aback when I saw my email. I didn't think I traded any LuLaRoe for a TLP GC, but when I read the message that went along with it, my heart melted. Thank you to whoever sent it my way! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of someone to track down my information and send me a gift certificate! <3

15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Oh I am so touch by the kindness in this thread @Neverland Scraps what an amazing and precious thing someone did for you. I will smile for a long while about this.

16. Frumpje

This is such a great suprise!!! Love that someone did this for you!

Neverland Scraps, Karen and cfile like this.
  17. Squirrely

Squirrely Well-Known Member

Have had my own forum several times before - NEVER of this magnitude though - I do know the work that goes on behind the scenes to pull off an unbelievable undertaking such as this MOC. You take your sweet time with it because ALL of us want the winning process to go as smoothly as the entire month went. I absolutely bow to the creativeness of those challenges.

That said, I guess by now I would have heard too if something was amiss. I did get one message right at the close, but fixed it right up and never looked back. I've no dreams (yet) on becoming a Polly so I'm not worried about that part, I just want to know I finished and finished right lol. Egads I was such a wreck the whole month, but next one will be different.

BTW - I LOVE that language of love explanation. I wish someone had told me all that when I was younger, could have saved alot of hurt feelings over the years.

Neverland Scraps and Frumpje like this.
  18. Frumpje

@Neverland Scraps : Your name is on the finishers list!!! Congrats! No need to worry anymore :D

19. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

You made it, Neverland Scraps!!! Wooooo! With your MOC GC and the GC from another forum member, you should be able to get some wonderful things. Enjoy!

Neverland Scraps and bestcee like this.
  20. Neverland Scraps

Wow!! I've been away at Great Wolf Lodge with the family, so coming back to this was so exciting!!

@Squirrely the love languages are amazing, especially when trying to reach children. What works with one, doesn't always work with another. Understanding their love language really helps bring it all together!

Aerobigirl likes this.