a black bean brownie??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by wyowomanKristin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. wyowomanKristin

wyowomanKristin A Rainbow of Colors

posted by andrea/estir bune:

Name: andrea
    Where do you live? omaha nebraska
    Coke or Pepsi? coffee
    Favorite flavor of ice cream? not too many I don't like!
    What are you wearing on your feet right now?socks
    What was the last thing you ate? a black bean brownie with WW ice cream
    Favorite book? from eons ago Anne Rice's the Witching Hour
    What's your favorite Lilypad product? EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!​

I have to know the details of this! please share

2. Paula

Paula Kicks Challenge Butt!

They are pretty yummy! Here's the recipe I have:

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (hs: canned is fine)
    1 cup walnuts, chopped
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    ¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    4 large eggs
    1½ cups light agave nectar

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)

Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.

3. wyowomanKristin

I have GOT to try these! never have heard of any such thing before this

4. Di-ahh

Di-ahh Can't keep her clothes on

Yikes, they are probably good but no beans in my brownies please. I'll stick to chocolate chips

5. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Fascinating. May have to give them a spin.

6. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

my recipe is sooooo much easier and delish!

1 box low fat brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Makes 20 brownies-- 2 Weight Watcher Points each!

7. wyowomanKristin

awesome! I have made the box of fudge cake mix mixed with can of pumpkin and baked them as muffins, and my family loves that..... I am REALLY intrigued to try this! thank you!

8. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

low fat & high fiber! I served them at a womans group function and no one thought anything was different! Actually I think they are moister (is that a word) than regulation brownies.

BTW I cut them up, put in baggies (for single serving ease) and freeze them... the defrost amazingly!

Hope you enjoy!

9. mimsmom

mimsmom New Member

who thinks of these recipes in the first place?! I can't wait to try them :)

10. Those sound interesting. I think I will have to try them

11. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

Ok this I HAVE to try!

12. Valoriew

Valoriew Valoriew

ok....i am so gonna try them today!

13. wyowomanKristin

Here is more explicit directions for the muffins:

Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients

* 1 box devils food cake mix
    * 1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin

Directions

Mix together. Do not add anything else that is mentioned on the box. It only takes these 2 ingredients. That's all. Mixture will be very thick (and you will be tempted to add something, but don't.) Place in muffin tins, sprayed with non stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. This makes 12 muffins. 1 Muffin is 180 calories .

I also tried it this last weekend with a spice cake mix, and if anything my family devoured those faster.
    But I myself am partial to the chocolate ones. Sometimes I add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips :giggle because I am not particularly trying to be low calorie, I just like the added fiber and vitamins of the pumpkin vs. oil.

14. my3hens

my3hens Is only good for one thing....

They def sound interesting but im kinda picky LOL and well scared to try it.

15. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

Kristin those sound yummy too!

I probably warn that the black bean puree doesn't smell so hot till it gets mixed in with the mix... :) I don't sugest taking a big whiff till it's all mixed up!

16. Joan

Joan tiptoeing round the pad

Love black beans... love brownies... not so sure about loving the two together. ;) But maybe I'll get brave and give it a try.

17. pameladonnis

pameladonnis New Member

Just had a baby so I'm trying to lose the pregnancy lbs and rejoined WW last week! This morning we were talking about surviving the holidays and were chatting about diet soda cake, but I've never heard of black bean brownies! I'm going to have to try these this week and report to my group!

18. eryn

eryn gross no longer

OMG I have to try these! But I've never seen black beans or pumpkin in cans. I should be able to find the beans, but pumpkin isn't big in Australia so I doubt I can get that. Do you think I could just cook and puree some real pumpkin instead?

19. wyowomanKristin

you certainly can. in the U.S. to do this we would look for what's called a sugar pumpkin or pie pumpkin for the best taste. and you could expect 2-3 15oz cans worth from one.

20. eryn

eryn gross no longer

I've never heard of those pumpkins! I'll make do...thanks!