MOC5- What did you learn?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by bellbird, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Part of the beauty of the Pad and MOC for me is the learning process, and the light bulb moments especially!
    [​IMG]
    As someone, like a lot of us, that is self taught in Photoshop and has used a few versions of the program, I'm always learning little bits here and there about it, but I also love learning about page design and the creative process. What have you taken away from this year's MOC? Did you learn anything particular, a technique, a short-cut, an approach...?

The technique challenges have been some of my favourites in the past (& there are a lot of handy dandy tutorials in the perfectly named 'Tutorials' tab up the top in the blue banner there if you're ever looking for ideas). I haven't got to the sketching technique challenge yet but i love the look of it!

The lightbulb moment I had this year, quite by accident, while scrapping an early challenge was the benefit of 'groups' in Photoshop (i have CS6), and that, say you have a title of a zillion alphas, if you group them, you can apply a shadow or style to the whole group in one click (rather than to each individual alpha layer)! Or you can group paper layers together and same thing, just shadow the group... yes, I had no clue this was possible and it was a lightbulb, time saver moment (when i wanted to shadow something slightly differently for 'realism', i just pulled the layer out of the group)

2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Making a sketch was so fun and something I had never tried.

I really liked the Drops Caps Challenge. It was a style I had never tried & I can see myself going back and doing it over & over again.

I also learned that I really like doing challenges. I haven't done a challenge in so long. It really helps me to keep the creative juices flowing & I'm going to try to participate in more throughout the year.

Sokee, Chippi, bellbird and 3 others like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I LOVED the technique challenge... that is right up my alley though to learn new things! I also loved the Blind Scrap - working within a set of "rules" really narrows down how much thinking I do, :giggle

Chippi, bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I loved learning how to turn a photo into a sketch. That was my biggest learning take-away, that I intend to use again and again and again and....

I also learned that i can make layouts that are outside of my comfort zone and still like them. There were a couple of challenges that I thought about doing a half-hearted effort just to get the thing done, but I decided to push myself a little harder and I'm glad I did.

bellbird likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I really liked the idea of combining two templates. I almost always use a template, but had never thought to combine two of them. It opens up a lot possibilities for me.

bellbird likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I really enjoyed all of the challenges. There were some I had done previously and some I hadn't ..I mostly like the creative juices the challenges get going for me. It helps me get my albums and layouts done!!! :D

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I enjoyed almost all the challenges. I thought having to have 5 points of inspiration from the mood board was a lot.

I think I'm a pretty flexible scrapper because I love using templates and I love doing pages clean & simple or filled up, pocket pages or photo-less, single or double. They're all good.

I liked learning how to do drop caps, using the Artisan version of title styles and photo sketches. I want to play more with the photo sketches to do a more complex page than I did for the challenge. I also liked the customized clustering. I've already used that technique on other layouts.

bellbird likes this.
  8. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I always enjoy the technique challenges! I enjoyed making the sketch page this year, it was LOTS of fun!

bellbird likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

The sketch is the coolest technique I learned this MOC. In fact, I'm so likely to use it again, I already did! :D My husband and I worked together today to design a couple of flyers to advertise my daughter's upcoming musical show and I included a sketch of her playing piano and singing on one of them.
    [​IMG]

10. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I have to admit that so much talk about the sketch challenge got me wanting to scrap on PSE...it would actually be easier for me as I scrap on Mac but on a Windows program so I have something called Parallells that creates a virtual Windows in my Mac....but when I tried PSE? on skype, with friends, scrappers that were in CT with me and took time to help me...it ended up with me frustrated and in tears..... and my program is much easier.... but the sketch thing has me wanting to try...I may do it after MOC is done as I have lots to do still....

I always learn something though, on page design, on things I never thought I would like but end up loving after MOC.... one thing I love this year is that I am almost caught up...am 6 challenges behind, last year I think I stopped at 12....so I am really really happy with that.
    Loved every challenge, even the C&S which is really hard for me, and actually love the page (which is rare with me LOL) the drop caps is something I will be doing from now on...I had done once or twice but not done properly, now I have a better idea and looking forward to more....
    Kayla's @keepscrappin Challenge with the cluster I'm in love too, ohhh every challenge is great, I git a bit stuck with the list but even that I managed to break my mind blockage and ended up making a page that I'm not too sure about liking but made it!!!!!

You leave me here thinking about the PSE thing..... I may have a look at starting slowly...

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I learned that it's okay to be pushed even if it's something that's meant for fun. I went with the first idea I had for each page (rather than agonizing over what would be 'perfect') and pushed through making it without second guessing what I was doing and I love almost every page I'd made for this challenge.

There were a couple of days when I had 2 or 3 pages to do but most of the time I kept up a daily pace. It's January 30th, and I just have tomorrow's page to do.

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I've learned that I really like to journal/ramble

And this...
    I've learned to not overthink things and to take a step back to figure out what's most important. If my story or my photo is truly what's important than I don't need to fret about the rest. If the art of it is what's important... then focus on that. Not every page has to have it all.

busywoman139 likes this.
  13. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

I haven't done many challenges in maybe a year. But I mostly have my December Daily done because of this month. Even the ones that didn't contribute to that project gave me lots more confidence in PSE and whittled away at other projects! Thanks so much for the ideas and fun community!

14. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

You would totally do amazing! I can see the sketch technique being something you incorporate a lot. Fits your style. :)

bellbird likes this.
  15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

this is exactly it! said so perfectly!

16. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

For me it's been sorting through my alerts!! Lol :) they were driving me nuts as I was getting alerts about everybody doing something on the pad / at least it felt like that !! I must have messed up my settings ! So I am very very relieved that I got that sorted!! Lol :)

bellbird likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

what a great thing to take away from this (from someone who falls into the agonizing trap that causes scrap-paralysis all too often!)

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Ha! I can be a waffler too... it's not a bad thing right?! ;)

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i like this statement very much!

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:yesss:goldstars