January 30: Art Journaling (Style Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by AnneofAlamo, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

This is a Style Challenge, in the style of ART JOURNALING, and includes the use of an arch. Your page must use one of the template arches provided by Pink Reptile Designs (thank you Mirjam!) which can be downloaded HERE.
    Mirjam was so kind as to put some other fun things in the pack too. The only thing you must use is ONE of the ARCHES. There is a paper included. You can clip it to the arch, cut it, but please do not use as the background paper.
    [​IMG]
    I know the term ART JOURNALING can cause some to quiver in fear, others in anticipation. My goal is to have you dabble and perhaps find something new to try on your regular memory pages in the future. Taking ART (elements/paint and such) and combining it with the emotion you would like to get across is in essence ART JOURNALING. If the art doesn't complete it for you, adding additional words or word art may help. Art journaling can be emotional. Last time I looked, the term emotional includes happiness, so you don't have to think dark/psychological (but you can).
    You can include a photo in your art journaling if you want, but it's not necessary. Art and journaling go together to take the image and words in your mind to create a picture on a canvas. ART plus journaling. Getting your opinion or thought across with art and journaling.

We are right now as a family rolling at the stories of people who don't realize my lovely state is actually part of America! We have a friend who is a travel agent and she gets calls asking if the cruise stops in Albuquerque or Sante Fe! Hence my arches! lol Hence my arches of hilarity.

I like to think of these arches as a canvas for ONE thought, not a whole journaling experience. I went three ways with my examples, one using straight out art journaling supplies from the designers here at the Lily Pad, the second with designers also from the Lily Pad, you don't usually associate with art journaling, and then finally with a photo. I want you too see the same subject art journaled 3 different ways:

First one, is more clustering scrapbook style:
    [​IMG]
    2. Using blends and more of the artsy things:
    [​IMG]
    3. Photographs can always be used with art journaling, here is an example:
    [​IMG]
    Three arches, same subject, but all done with an art journal style with the arches. The WHITE background is what makes your canvas of the Arch shape stand out! :)

The subject matter is YOURS to choose. I only ask you try to delve into the aspect of art journaling. Use your stash or pick up some new things completely out of your comfort zone. Rearrange, laugh and play with your program to get art to happen on your arch.

YOU only have a few days to finish this challenge.
    Please pay close attention to the requirements
    Requirements:
    1. Use ONE of the template bases (found HERE). Only ONE arch shape may be used. Please do not resize the template.
    2. BACKGROUND must be empty/blank (this way the arch is the focal point of the challenge). It will show up as white in gallery and in forum.
    3. You may have some elements go off the arch base, BUT they must still be touching the arch base.
    Think if you picked the arch up everything should be attached...if not attached those items would fall off...unless attached to something that is attached to the base.

Please also remember:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    mirjam, crazsquaw, cfile and 2 others like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

for those with paint that is on the the arch and then it spreads off...at first I was not thinking it really worked..but
    I found this...
    [​IMG]
    Having you use this nifty stuff (being silly, but wanting your gorgeous pages with the paints to be right too). causes the paint to adhere perfectly! thank you for understanding!
    [​IMG] paint is attached to the sticky...cool huh? lol

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    crazsquaw, cfile and bellbird like this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Good morning Anne, yes I can see the images.
    Lovely to have the challenge up so early. I will get right on it.

4. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Oh goodness...Anne!!! Of course you have to go all artsy on me!!! I love your examples...this will be interesting!

5. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

WOW! What a unique challenge. I think I like it!:idea2

6. AnneofAlamo

I am at this very moment finishing a blog on examples in the art journal world to look at also! be up in a few minutes.

7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Very unique. So to make sure I'm understanding it's not on a piece of paper, but on the arch template. How interesting. It's been ages since I've seen the arches in Santa Fe, brings back memories.

8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Question! The 'off the arch but still touching'- can that mean some paint splatters behind the arch or only above the arch?

bellbird likes this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

you pull the arch onto your regular canvas. decorate the arch. NO background. Save with a blank background...everything you put on the page, must touch the arch...it is base!

amien1 likes this.
  10. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@AnneofAlamo Your examples have edges. Are those strokes or did you resize to make one smaller & make a frame?

11. AnneofAlamo

@amien1 everything has to touch the arch.

12. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

got it. Can't wait to open but it's not midnight here. JK. I must finish the one I am on.

13. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

No journaling, unless we put it inside the arch? This one confuses me. I think I'll set it aside with the other challenge that confused me (Day 25) until I get caught up and can really understand (see other people's examples) what I need to do.

This is me right now trying to get caught up from the week ----->:crazy3

14. AnneofAlamo

@jesskab yes, I used a stroke
    and a little quick technique fun for PS
    1. duplicate layer
    2. put a stroke on duplicate layer
    3. then adjust the fill to zero on the duplicate layer
    4. make a new layer under the duplicate layer with stroke.
    5. merge the duplicate layer and the new layer together
    YOU have just the stroke
    so now you can clip paper too, give a shadow or bevel

15. AnneofAlamo

@Neverland Scraps
    you can journal, as long as the journaling is touching the arch...the background is blank, no paper, nothing

16. Neverland Scraps

Oh! So if it's touching the arch, that's fine. Yes?

17. AnneofAlamo

@Neverland Scraps Yes! IF it is touching the arch you are fine, all of the words must touch...or be on a paper, that is touching it...you can build up up up just must touch the arch

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  18. AnneofAlamo

And the blog post is up now too
    Art Journaling - Gothic Arches
    and pinterest is a huge fun to look gothic arches art journaling...sensory overload!

lizziej, bellbird and amandac like this.
  19. Neverland Scraps

Awesome! I got an idea now. Maybe I can knock two layouts out before bedtime--well, it's bedtime now, but before it gets too late :D Thanks, Anne!

20. AnneofAlamo

I am headed to bed here in the Mountain Standard Time, but my scrapping twin from down under @bellbird has a pretty good grasp on this challenge and she should be up and around soon...especially since I just surprised tagged her! tee hee.
    I am here to help and want you to enjoy the fun of the arch...play and try new things...