High school - Class of 2018?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lizziej, Jan 23, 2017.

1. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

Just wondering if any of you have kids graduating from high school next year. I'm just trying to see if there are others that will be crying at the same time that I will be. LOL I know it will be an emotional time.

He's been getting letters from all sorts of colleges/universities, none of which he is interested in so far. Have your kids been getting these, too?

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

My DD will be graduating next year. We are so far behind on what needs to be done, it isn't funny. And as far as the school letters - Oh, the fun has just begun. We receive them daily - even though she has been saying she's not interested to many of them. Others still arrive all the time.

I guess I'm unusual in that I don't see it as an emotional time, other than the trying to get through the exams, applications, etc., on time. That is what's stressing me out.

Tree City likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My baby will be in grade 12 next year too.
    We can be in it together!

4. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Oh man, I cried and cried at our son's graduation ... back in 2003!! And then 6 weeks later he was off to college - a day I'll never forget ... treasure these moments ladies ...!! <3

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

My oldest graduates this year. Class of 2017.

Then I have one who is Class of 2019.

I don't want to think about it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm another one in the class of 2018 club. My son, my firstborn, will graduate next year... sigh.

We get a lot of the letters and tons of emails. Back when he first got an email address we set it up so I got copies of any emails he received... so my inbox is clogged with his college emails at the moment.

Have you guys gone on any campus visits yet? Alex has been on five so far... one was local just to get the ball rolling, three were with a school trip and one was a school that he's really interested in. We're going to be visiting another one of his top choices in a few weeks (we'll be in the area for his sister's dance competition, so we'll go tour the campus while she's in class).

He used to get really testy any time you mentioned college, but as he's figuring out his path a little bit he's getting much better about talking about things.

7. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

My daughter is also my first born and is graduating in 2018. I am not-so-secretly hoping she goes to college here in town so she won't be too far away (and because it's cheaper). We are getting some letters but she did not really sign up until recently on those college board lists, so they've just started. We've toured our local university and are going to tour some more on Spring Break. So many "traditional" jobs are in transition (THE ROBOTS ARE COMING!) that it's hard to know how to advise kids these days on what will be good future careers!

8. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I'm sure I'll be stressed out next year, too, making sure he meets all the application deadlines, grades, etc. We have a Class of 2018 parents meeting next week at school, so hopefully we'll learn some helpful things.

Thankfully, I don't get any emails from colleges - at least not yet! I get enough of my own. :giggle

We haven't visited any colleges yet. I think he's decided where he wants to go, and it's a university about half an hour away, so he would commute, which will save us a ton of money. He doesn't know yet what degree he wants to pursue, although he keeps leaning toward accounting.

I think senior yearbook photos start in June! I need to talk to a parent in this year's class or possibly the one before to find out.

9. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

My oldest is graduating next year too! I'm already excited for him and dreading it at the same time...

10. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Ladies, take some advise from the old great granny. ENJOY every moment. Back in the 50s kids were pretty much on their own. None of this parents meetings for colleges; no emails (didn't have it yet) no letters from college. Not even much in the way of guidence counselors. The only campus I visited was with a group from church because we were all interested in going to Lynchburg College in VA. It is so different today and SOOOO much better. The only thing is; parents didn't have the stress that parents have today.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

My son, first born is graduating in 2018 too! And then my DD, my last born, graduates in 2019. It will be a quick whirlwind and I don't want to even think about it.

He's military bound though. Makes me scared and want to cry even more. Will be doing the college campus for the 2019 daughter next year.

12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Oh gosh! That is a quick whirlwind! My two are class of 2018 and 2020. I'm afraid I'm going to blink and it's all going to be over!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Thankfully my first doesn't graduate until 2022 and I'm STILL not ready! I definitely will be relying on advice from my friends who will have already sent at least one kid through college! I hear some of them talking about it already and it's like a foreign language!

14. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

my son is in college already and my baby girl graduates in 80 days. :( I'm not handling it very well.

Sokee likes this.
  15. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My youngest son is graduating this year... 2017 ....
    He is not interested in collage as he has plans to look into the local Electrical Union.
    Lets just say I'm not going to think of it till its here.

16. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I read -- probably about a year ago -- how there is a huge upcoming demand for electricians. It sounds like he might be on the right track!

Sokee likes this.