how do you download your iphone photos onto your computer and how do you organize them

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by bjc, Mar 6, 2016.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I don't have Lightroom (although you guys make me want it haha). I also have an Andriod, so I attach my phone via cord to the USB port of my laptop and manually transfer them. Then I have a special folder on my computer for Phone photos. What's great about the Andriod naming system is that it's the date, then the time it was taken as the file name. It makes organizing them a breeze.

20161025_093326 is an example of the file name. It's cumbersome, but I've grown rather fond of it. (=

Is Lightroom that much of a help?

Amson likes this.
  2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Luckily, I also have a MAC laptop, so as soon as I open it, my pictures automatically sync up and there they are! It's like magic!

3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

YES! I have an android- I have the lightroom app on my phone & can add all my phone photos right into the collections there. As soon as I open my Lightroom on my desktop computer- it syncs with my phone & the FULL size photos are already there & in a folder I designated on my EHD! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it- since my cord was getting to be a pain in the butt & wouldn't let me 'manually' transfer.

4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Also- you can delete the photos off of your phone memory & still have them in the Lightroom app without using all the space in your phone :)

5. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Lightroom is AMAZING!! Cheryl (@gonewiththewind) did an awesome series of video tutorials over the summer showing all the awesome things you can do with Lightroom. You can check those out here https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/lightroom-session-four-august-18-2016-9-pm-edt-6-pm-pdt.44199/.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love Lightroom. I wasn't too fond of the app when I used it the first time. But your recommendations make me think I should download it again and play with it!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My phone automatically uploads my photos to dropbox when connected to wifi and I love it!

bestcee likes this.
  8. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

i just upload from phone to pc. i only use dropbox for dt layouts lol
    lightroom..hmmm am i the only who doesn't use LR?? 0_0

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love it. I didn't know how much I would until I made an effort to use it. But watching Cheryl be able to quickly grab photos sold me on it.
    Now to finish the unorganized years this year.

10. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I am late to game on this thread. BUT, super interested in streamlining my process. I use LR - very similar to @jenn mccabe . I import directly from my iPhone (and DSLR) into my LR catalog. I organized by Year-Month-Day. That works well, especially for PL. My ongoing issue or complaint is after I delete pics from LR, and I still have the pictures on my phone, LR will try to import them again the next time I try to import pics. So basically I have to delete pics on my phone after deleting in LR, so that both libraries are the same. That's a drag because I may want the pic on my phone but not in LR.

Questions - how do you all have enough space on your iCloud? Have you bought more storage? How much? Also for you Dropbox users, how much storage do you use there and what are those costs? I really would like to streamline this process and have pictures in as few spaces as possible. I looked at the Watched Folder article from Adobe but couldn't quite wrap my brain around it - @scrappyjedi - did you ever make a video?

Thanks in advance!!:heartlub

11. scrappyjedi

Unfortunately life got in the way and I didn't get a chance to make the video then. I have a cold right now and really can't make one at the moment (my voice is all kinds of messed up), but I'll put it on my to-do list.

You could use this method with a free Dropbox account because when Lightroom imports your photos, it actually removes them from the Dropbox folder and moves them to the folder where the rest of the photos in your Lightroom catalog are stored (and you can actually set this fold when you set up the Watched Folder). Your photos are only housed in Dropbox for a short time, so unless you are taking gazillions of photos and never turning on Lightroom (mine stays on pretty much all the time), a free account should not fill up.

I don't use my iCloud storage at all- I actually turned if off in my phone because I was tired of getting warnings about it being full all the time. My phone backs up to my computer every time I sync, and that backup is then backed up in Crashplan, so I'm covered there.

KellyM likes this.
  12. scrappyjedi

I said it when I was a paper scrapper, and it's still true now that I'm mostly digital- without Lightroom, I couldn't be a scrapbooker. It's just that important to my process!

KellyM likes this.
  13. KellyM

@scrappyjedi - I like your idea. Off to see if I can get that t work :) Thank you!!

14. KellyM

Another quick question @scrappyjedi - after I upload my iPhone pics to dropbox, then I import/move them to LR or into a "watched folder". What is to prevent my iPhone from sharing those same pics the next time I upload to dropbox? Or possibly as the user you can select which pictures to upload (date range or event) to upload to dropbox. Make any sense?

15. scrappyjedi

The Dropbox app knows which photos it has uploaded and will not upload them again, even when they are removed from the Camera Uploads folder- it's pretty smart! What you will want to do is set the Camera Uploads subfolder in your computer's Dropbox folder to be the watched folder in Lightroom.

KellyM likes this.
  16. KellyM

Ok, that sounds great. Love that Dropbox is that smart! Thank you! @scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi likes this.
  17. KellyM

Another question @scrappyjedi - do you have your Watched Folder on an external drive? That is where my LR photos live. Dropbox discourages this, just wondering if it has be a problem for you? I am still trying to figure out how to get the Camera Upload folder to export to the Watched Folder.

18. scrappyjedi

My entire Dropbox folder is on an external drive (my Mac Pro only has a 256GB internal SSD). It is not a problem as long as that drive is always attached to your computer. If mine is ever accidentally detached, Dropbox simply warns me and asks if I want to shut the program down- I've never had an issue with it.

Your watched folder doesn't have to be part of your Lightroom catalog or even on the same drive as Lightroom, though. It can be anywhere- it's simply a folder that Lightroom keeps tabs on and imports photos that it finds there to your catalog.

KellyM likes this.
  19. KellyM

That is SOOOO helpful @scrappyjedi :) Thank you for educating me! I tend to make things harder than they need to be!
    :badputer

scrappyjedi likes this.
  20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I take a lot of iPhone pics and the app automatically loads them into dropbox so I can scroll thru them and download whatever I want to scrap with, wherever I am, on whatever computer I'm on. If I'm away from my office PC, then I just stick to scrapping iPhone pics, so easy and fast.