How to avoid me | Gallery Posting 101

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by jenevang, Jan 13, 2017.

1. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

@BevG, thanks for the reminder. If I remember, maybe I'll send a suggestion to Forever that they give us the option of a save for web by pixel size when saving jpgs.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

That would be a great idea. The Paint option really only takes a few seconds, but you do have to remember to do it.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't know if it's easier than paint? But I tried this out in November for someone, and it worked for me.

I use Photoshop, but I just tried out this one for you: http://resizeimage.net/
    It resized my full layout down to 600 x 600, and I was able to play with the 7. Optimize Your Image at the bottom to get it under 250kb really easily. I simply changed that to 80%, then hit resize image. That was too far, so I moved it to 90%, and pushed resize image. That was close enough (235) so I saved it.

I just followed the steps as they are laid out.

4. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Jen, you mention 250k. Is k and kb the same thing. (I am NOT computer literate!!!) Out of curiousity, I looked at the first three of my MOC layouts. They are all 600 by 600 but what I don't understand is this kb stuff?? Day one is 166kb; day two is 137 kb and day three is 104 kb? What does all this mean and why are the numbers so different?? Just curious.

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

@NancyP Yes, Jen means kb when she says k; it's just a more casual way of saying it, sort of like saying someone is running a 5K when it's 5 kilometers.

The kb size is how much memory space a file takes up. One factor that affects this is how complex the image is. A square of one single color is very simple for the file to translate, so the file memory size will be very small. A complex image with lots of color or pattern will be more complicated for the file to "explain", requiring a lot more "instructions", so the file memory size will be larger.

Another factor is the "quality" of the file. When choosing the quality of the file while saving it, you tell the software how detailed you want it to be. Maximum quality (100%) keeps every little tiny detail, resulting in a larger memory size for the file. If you choose a lower quality, the software will simplify it a bit to take up less memory. Usually you can use slightly lower quality (from 60-80% depending on the image) without it being noticeable in the types of online posting we do. If you you go too low, the image quality will be noticeably poorer, with blurriness, blocky-ness, "artifacts", or "pixelation" because the software has discarded too many of the details.

I hope that makes sense! :)

mrs2a50 likes this.
  6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Kim, thank you SO much!!! That really explained a lot. I never thought about size because I was always told that as long as I did 600 x 600 I would be ok. And since I have never heard from our wonderful Jen, I am assuming I am ok!!!

KimJ likes this.
  7. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

So, now I'm worried. I use Photoshop CC, and do "save for web". I save at both 600 & 800 pixels, as some galleries require 600, but Instagram and my eyes require 800. I've been uploading here at 800, assuming I'll be warned if the image is too big. Most places it just won't upload if it's too big. Is that not the case here? Might I have some oversize images? I post a lot; this would be a super pain.

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

That was my thought also. I upload at 700px and always (I think!) <250 usually around 245. I feared that those 250.7 kinds would ring a bell and not upload. I gather I'm wrong??